Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scented Lotions/body creams

AlchemyCarta

Lairian
Hiya! I got my little shoulder monster about a month ago. She settled in abruptly well and we've had absolutely no problems since. Luck of the draw at it's finest! Ha haha

I give Razza a bath once every ten days or so and clean her with wipes every other day, then put lotion on her after every wipedown. I was wondering what I should and shouldn't use for lotion for her.

I have these products that have been tested once each with a minimum of 48 hours in between and she's had no issues. She just smells absolutely heavenly!

Pink Peony body Creme/ Almond & Vanilla Body Creme from Bath and body works

My worry though is that it could have negative effects further down the road that I'm unaware of currently. Figured I'd ask the community to see if anyone has any opinions or info they could share to still my minor worry.

Thanks so much! :D

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I would be very careful about applying any human lotions. Ingesting the ingredients can be very risky. If you feel your cat suffers from dry skin, less bathing is suggested or using natural coconut oil VERY sparingly is great. There is nothing like the natural smell of a Sphynx...it is a one of a kind smell, so treasure it.

Patti

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
I also advise you to not use human products
on your Sphynx. Their ph is different and it
be very dangerous for your baby if injested.
Which it will be when she licks herself.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I would be scared she would ingest whatever is in the creams.
If you are worried about her being dry, you can get soaps that add moisture back in and don't just strip away all the natural oils. :)

[nerd rant lol so it can stay in brackets: Also by using human products, if the pH is drastically different from her skin, the bacteria on the skin can be harmed, which can cause problems. The bacteria is a protection mechanism.
Cat skins has a ph of 7.0 - 7.52, which is distilled water. At 7 there is no acidity. Humans sit at a 5.2 - 5.5, which is acidic and comparable to black coffee (5) and milk (6). Each whole number difference is a difference of a ten times in acid concentration. So it is a big jump if the product is formulated at a 5. Some human products sit closer to a 7 but getting that information isn't always easy.
Ok nerd rant over lol ]

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I just LOVE the natural smell of a Sphynx. My little girl's shampoo is plum scented and it takes about a day for it to dissipate. I can't wait for it to be gone so I can smell that warm mushroom smell again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@AlchemyCarta welcome to sphynxlair. What a cute and beautiful parrot you have:). Like the name Razza!
Don't know the products you mention so can't say if they're catsafe. It's important to check if all ingredients are cat safe. Razza will lick her skin and get some of the lotions inside.

Natasja