Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scratches and scab

Allynoelx3

Lairian
Hi all!

My little girl seems to be scratching herself and giving herself scabs all down her neck area. Any recommendations on what I can put on them in the meantime?

I keep her nails maintained, and she doesn’t seem to have a rash... not sure why she Is scratching. Her food hasn’t changed. ‍♀️ She’s due for a bath so maybe that’s why.

Attachments

• 98E66DDA-B651-4A3A-96B7-FED7DA17CAE4.jpeg
    98E66DDA-B651-4A3A-96B7-FED7DA17CAE4.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 113

Sheldon13

Staff member
I would just run a little olive oil in to help with dryness and itching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Vetericyn Spray is always great to have on hand for minor scraps & scratches. It’s available on Amazon.

As for what is causing the scratching, I’d suspect some sort of allergy. Food allergies can develop at anytime, even if they’ve never shown symptoms before on the same food. Another common one for sphynx is soaps, laundry detergent, softeners, etc. My female is allergic to coconut oil, & had similar scratching/scabs on her neck when I used it topically on her. I treated her with Vetericyn & Zymox Conditioning Rinse, & her symptoms disappeared in a matter of days! They heal pretty quickly, so long as they’re no longer exposed to the irritant.
I haven’t seen/experienced a sphynx scratching due to sebum buildup (aka needing a bath), but it wouldn’t hurt to give her a good Spa Day with hypoallergenic, soap-free product such as Hylyt or Zymox. That way, you can kind of have a ‘clean start’ to start eliminating possible allergens.
Well wishes to you & your beautiful girl!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Is her skin dry? Then maybe put a littlw olive oil or coconut oil on it. And to keep the wounds clean and heal faster you can use vetericyn spray on it.

Allynoelx3

Lairian
Vetericyn Spray is always great to have on hand for minor scraps & scratches. It’s available on Amazon.

As for what is causing the scratching, I’d suspect some sort of allergy. Food allergies can develop at anytime, even if they’ve never shown symptoms before on the same food. Another common one for sphynx is soaps, laundry detergent, softeners, etc. My female is allergic to coconut oil, & had similar scratching/scabs on her neck when I used it topically on her. I treated her with Vetericyn & Zymox Conditioning Rinse, & her symptoms disappeared in a matter of days! They heal pretty quickly, so long as they’re no longer exposed to the irritant.
I haven’t seen/experienced a sphynx scratching due to sebum buildup (aka needing a bath), but it wouldn’t hurt to give her a good Spa Day with hypoallergenic, soap-free product such as Hylyt or Zymox. That way, you can kind of have a ‘clean start’ to start eliminating possible allergens.
Well wishes to you & your beautiful girl!
Hi,

Mine seems to be allergic to coconut oil too. I'll look into the conditioning rinse and vetericyn! I just bought Hylyt and she will be getting a bath this sunday! So, lets see if that helps!

Thank you for the advice

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My girl gets that when she either needs a bath or a good ear cleaning. She has pretty oily ears and I am constantly cleaning them. I use the Hylyt also on her. She is allergic to coconut oil, I tried it once and oh boy was that a nightmare.

Back