Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scratching Furniture Solutions

Adam

Lairian
If all goes well we will be taking home our first Sphynx this weekend(yay!)

Her previous owner says she does have a habit of scratching furniture, she says that she uses sticky paws right now and it seems to work.
We aren't really concerned about most of our furniture except for our dining room table.

I am just wondering what solutions you all use to prevent scratching.

(I tried searching but it pulls up a lot of searches about personal scratching and rashes so if there is already a post I am sorry)

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ours has a carpet fetish and fully ignores every scratching pole and toy she has.
Since the carpets are cheap we didn't bother (yet) to look into something to be honest.
But I do hope you find a good solution. Sticky paws, had to google it :) might work but no experience with it.
I also heard from gossip that Feliway FeliScratch can be a solution... but I'm not sure.
Do hope someone more experienced in scratching problems can jump in soon.
Good luck and positive vibes send!

Adam

Lairian
Yeah our table is really the only expensive thing we have and it's an airlum which is why we are concerned about it haha

Yumi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Adam I can understand your concern.
We're moving to a bigger place soon and took over the furniture and it has new sofa's (couche?) and old table and well a lot of furniture. Pretty much stuff our little studio didn't have or wouldn't fit. So we're holding our hearts and following your topic. :ROFLMAO:
Cause if you find something, we might try it too ;)(y) Now we only need to lure experienced once in for solution(s) :love:

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
With scratching it's usually a measure of saying no to one item and giving them something else to scratch on. So a good option is to have multiple scratching posts or items around the house for them to use. It is also a good idea to have something to scratch right near the item you don't want them scratching. With Orpheus if he scratched something he wasn't meant to we would say no and put him at the post/box/etc he could scratch and he learner quick what he could and couldn't.
Sticky paws works well for some cats but can damage some items of furniture so would be careful of using it on expensive items. Otherwise you can get a spray that worked well for Orpheus scratching the carpet in one spot so putting that on the legs of the dinning table could work :) hope that helps

Adam

Lairian
Thank you!
We plan on having lots of posts and other scratching items /toys throughout the house but putting one specifically next to the item and redirecting them is great.

Also, we will remember to be careful with the sticky paws. Their big claim is that they won't harm the furniture but it sounds like a test strip may be in order

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you!
We plan on having lots of posts and other scratching items /toys throughout the house but putting one specifically next to the item and redirecting them is great.

Also, we will remember to be careful with the sticky paws. Their big claim is that they won't harm the furniture but it sounds like a test strip may be in order

We ordered some and it's like won't damage most furniture so definitely do a tiny test sonewehsoyou can't see. We had it take a little varnish off an old chest of drawers :)
But good luck .they are pretty easy to teach what they can and can't do so I'm sure you guys will be totally fine!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
How exciting you'll be bringing home your first sphynx soon! Can't wait to see Gotcha Day pics.

What is your table made off? Most sphynx like to scratch material like curtains, pillows, chairs but not hard wood.
Are you at home the first days so you can watch what the sphynx does? If so, you can use canned air when the sphynx start to scratch the table. Or say 'no'. And bring the sphynx to the place were he/she is allowed to scratch. Praise him/her when she/he scratch on the right spot.

Adam

Lairian
Thank you! Lots of gotcha day pic will be posted as soon as we have her in our arms!

Our table is hardwood.
We will be home all day for gotcha day and the day after so we will be able to keep an eye on her & redirect/praise her then. We would just rather be safe then sorry with the table because it is a heirloom.

The can air is great for redirecting.
Our pet store carries Sticky Paws so we will do a test strip tonight and see how that goes.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh am excited for you, gotcha day is the best day ever! I can’t wait to see your little girly! Have you decided on a name? I use the felliway plug in which calms Binky and I redirect her attention with toys and stuff! There a catnip spray which can help, Binky ends up just rubbing herself against it instead of scratching! I clip her nails every week which helps!

Adam

Lairian
We are actually adopting her from someone on here. Keeping her name and details hush hush until we have her in our arms so we don't jinx anything.

She does use Feliway already for travel so it might be a good idea to get a diffuser plug for the first couple of days and then maybe look into the catnip spray. Regular nail clipping will be a must.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That sounds great...! Aww bless adopting a kitty and your researching everything to ensure shes ok, your going to be great spyhex parent xx

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
You’ll probably notice that they tend to scratch more as nails get longer. I’ve found that keeping nails really short makes my kitty significantly less interested in scratching.
Like others have said, patience and re-directing to appropriate scratching places will be key!
Congrats on your new kitty!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Adam Very excited for you and yours ((hugs))) to the owner member

Keep us updated:)

I have a so,I'd teak table with curved legs like s tree trunk shale - I cringe thinking they would tear it up .
Not s scratch on it

Will try to find some older threads . Domt forget to try the top roght search bubble box om the upper right
Amd Afro,l to bottom of thread pages for "similar threads "

Great advice given

Scratching post recommendations

Some of my scratching post experiences :

a short scratching post - left it on its side.
I knocked it over with the vacuum - the cats immediately stood on it to scratch like a tree trunk. So om it's side it stays lol

the tall ultimate cat scratcher with option too perch pad -
It is tall and provides height for a good stretch scratch first thing at wake- omly one of mine loves it

The cheap $6 rectangular cardboard floor scratcher loved by all

A cheap thin small throw rug - I put by the floor cardboard scratcher - f'd by all to roll and play with s cst nil toy on the rig and then beat the snot out of the floor scratcher

cat towers with thistle rope - love the kitty mansions cat tree - small study 24"x24" base amd about 76" tall with dark grey material and dark brown sisal , bolstered top perches - fav by all to sctretch snd snooze (I do no use the vines it came with )

*** train them like a dog to the scratcher
Verbal praise and an immediate treat right on or at the scratcher - timing is everything for positive reinforcement.

Scratch on it yourself to "show" her . As soon as she even looks - treat
Touches it - treat . Scratches on it - partay! Treat and happy praise

Good advice about not letting nails get long -
Clipping your Sphynx cat nails.

Mine got into a routine of a good scratch first thing in the morning and at bed time

Will be looking forward to updates :)

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My dining chairs are have upholstered seats so I have hand towels draped on them. I already had to have them reupholstered not because of scratching but dirty paws, so I learned my lesson. My dining chairs don't have upholstered backs but my office chair does and the cats were using the back to scratch on, so what I did was slide a pillow case on it. Their paws slide off the pillow case.

Ok so it's probably weird using towels and pillow cases but it works lol - good luck.

Oh by the way, you should definitely invest in a variety of cheap scratchers until you can figure out what they like best.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Condo commando , great tips! Lol I use hand towels too ! I got some nice coordinating colored hand towels from samsclub
lol for the two spare chairs in the corner of my dining room( my Bengal likes to hang draped over the back of the chair and Roar like a tiger )

You have given me the idea to dig out a spare pillow case .thanks !

@Adam - my mom's rescued kitty loves the dollar store little scratchers just placed on the floor -
My girl loves to dig her claws on a cardboard box lol

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando You have given me the idea to dig out a spare pillow case .thanks !

You're welcome - here's my pillow case!
Office.jpg

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Condo commando , puuuuurfect !
I am so happy you shared this great idea!

Gorgeous pic! Love love the desk and chair
Stunning! What kind of wood is that amazing desk?
LOL I saw the desk in a vintage furniture shop and had to have it. I think it's from the 1950's. The wood is "burl" wood. As if that wasn't enough I lucked into the chair which is Ethan Allen at a Habitat for Humanity thrift shop for $25. I still have the pics I took when I found them.

Attachments

• Desk.jpg
    Desk.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Desk chair.jpg
    Desk chair.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 65

Yoda mom

Staff member
O,f ! I fre up with Ethan Allen! I r,e,bet the little kids room there for us to hang out in while parents shopped!
I Love love the burl wood amd tiger maple patterns! I would have bought those in a NY minute!
I bought a great antique real rocker not the chair made into rocker and stupid x sold it I'm a garage sale when I was building the house in a Florida

I brought my solid teak tables and hard rock maple / natural cherry furniture with me but would loooove a desk like yours! I use Scand oil for my wood furniture it's safe for pets

It's like a lotion instead of oil
I get the white bottle
Scand-Oil

Scand-Oil 32 oz.
habitat for humanity's so close by here will have to keep my eyes out!

@Adam , any updates on retail therapy cat scratchers ?

When I first got a kitty - for training I temporarily wrapped aluminum foil around my furniture ends amd curved wood table legs lol

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Yoda mom thank you for the tip on the Scand-Oil! I never heard of it before but I'll give it a try.

By the way I love scandinavian furniture. That desk is the opposite but I just thought it was SO COOL if I do say so myself. Ok so it's only furniture but they don't make anything like that anymore. They don't even make anything solid wood anymore :cry:

Adam

Lairian
@Yoda mom We got a pair of basic scratching posts last night(one carpet and one of the "standard" kind) and are heading to another local pet store tonight to see what they have there

We put the test strip on sticky paws on last night so we will see what it does tonight.

The cardboard like scratchers were very limited at last night's pet store so we are hoping tonight's has a larger selection.
We have a tree on the way with post on it but it isn't going to get here before she does.

We are hoping to get a couple cardboard ones and at least 1 more posts for her to use.

Back