Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scratching furniture

CanadianCat

Lairian
I am looking for advice on scratching the furniture. He is pretty aggressive in his scratching of our couch and I was hoping to buy a new set. My fiance was like we might as well never get new furniture unless we declaw him. *eye roll*

I have tried to teach my devon but nothing worked. I wont use soft paw covers. I tried putting lots of different scratching posts and one near couch. I tried spraying her with water. I tried tape and tinfoil. It was like a game to her and shed sneak downstairs attack the sofa then run back upstairs. Shes 8 now and doesnt do it nearly as much but she still does it. Our domestic longhair just doesnt even seem to claw things much.

He is young with tons of energy. Any other tips would be great. Not loving he was thinking about declawing our baby boy.

Pic for attention :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
Stay positive ! Members will certainly chime in !

Is there a particular scratch material or type he does try and use ?

I knocked over the short one by accident and discovererd mine preferred it on its side to stand on it like a tree branch

So far with my nakids x4 they prefer a flat type scratcher or the short turned on its side on the floor

I scratch on it myself , give verbsl praise amd treats
Now they run to scratchers like crazy for meet n greets

Stay positive ! Haven’t had to declaw one or use nail caps

Check “similar threads” at the bottom of this page
Head smooches! So stinkin cute !

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Can I ask why you won’t use the nail caps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

meandmytwo

Lairian
@CanadianCat

Consider leather, if you’re looking to buy a new set. I know some people are opposed to leather for ethical reasons, so it may not suit you. But there is leatherette and other leather look products.

I had only fabric furniture in my home when I got my 2 boys as kittens 2.5 yrs ago. Let’s just say the furniture began to wear very quickly after that (from scratching and their oils). I chose leather from then on and they don’t scratch it and it wipes up easy. They don’t appear to even consider scratching it, just doesn’t appeal to them in that way.

I have half the sofa covered in a blanket so they have a corner to snuggle in. It’s two blankets actually - one lines the leather tucked in and the other on top for them to burrow. They perch on the backs but rarely lay on the areas without the blanket. The lay on me when I’m on the uncovered areas.

Search here for leather and you should find a few threads.

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ours loves to scratch the carpet but doesn't use the scratching post much. We found this on Chewy and Cleo loves it. The scratch part is cardboard and she really likes digging at it. The center part can be replaced when worn out.

meandmytwo

Lairian
Unfortunately ours love leather. We have 2 leather computer chairs which are ruined. Unless theres a certain kind of leather or fake leather that would be better.
Oh no, sorry to hear that.

Mine are scratchers and nothing stopped them but the leather. They have several scratching posts and the scratcher that @Duglynukem posted above but they use the carpet just as much. It's perfect berber for the job ha! It'll get replaced eventually with hard floors.

I hope you find a solution.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CanadianCat
Brainstorming here
Does he prefer the vertical or horizontal or corner part of the leather couch and computer chairs?

I would see what part he uses most
Then try scratching posts with the same vertical horizontal or corner shapes ?
I find my Batman likes the corner part and flat part of the double wide cat I leave onthe floor -

Macie prefers vertical scratching so I got her a 39” tall smartcat scratching post with the optional top pad to sit on

Claire Bare prefers the curved humped Emory board scratcher on the floor

Most of my crew prefer the on the floor scratchers
Yoda likes material or rug so I got him a tiny throw rug I place under the flat scratchers
Amd his omega carpet scratcher made to lean on wall but he likes it om the floor

Reinforce by scratching it yourself praise amd treats placed om the scratcher
Any time you see him use it have a big party of praise
Like training a dog lots of positve reinforcement
Mine run to the scratchers like a herd , then Flop on them for extra cuddles too it’s so funny

I personally recommend - Do not throw out the scratcher when well used -
I place A new same one next to it for a few days then remove the old one once kitty using the new one
They are creatures of habit and him to know it’s the right thing to scratch comfy zone
(Just think about your favorite pillow )

I also inspect and trim nails twice a week

Keep us updated
Surely members will chime for tips to try

Attachments

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@CanadianCat when I first got them and caught them im the act even thinking about eye up an inappropriate item to scratch

I gave a stern look ams “Ahhhhh”
Then Promptly pick them up and took them to the scratching post /item
Scratched on it myself amd gave big happy praise amd a treat
Even if they just stood on it to start with
I kept scratching on it with my hand and praised
They got the hang of it quickly

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Try a microfiber sofa. The only thing is it can get dirty because it's fabric. I have a light microfiber sofa so I cover it to keep the grime off. Still there are parts exposed (like the arms) and I can attest that the cats will try to sink their claws into the material but they can't. It's great.

I also bought a couple of ottomans made of seagrass. The cats love to scratch on them, which I figured they would, but that was my plan all along so they would leave the other furniture alone. I bought them from the amazon warehouse for half off. Think of it as replacements for cat trees that humans can also use.
www.amazon.com/MagJo-Natural-Woven-Poufs-Surrey/dp/B06XDFHWYW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=seagrass%2Bpouf&qid=1552778625&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
We researched and saw most had success with either leather or microfiber. We went with leather and no one tries to scratch it. They still try to scratch the material accent chairs though. For many it is a hit or miss.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Just bought two new couches of polyester velvet. My crew loved to scratch the old couch. When the new ones arrived they put their paws on the couch, tried to scratch....and stopped giving me a stink eye cause this ones are not nice for scratching.

Duglynukem

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with @Yoda mom training works. Left to their own a cat will exercise their claws on anything that's handy.

The Sphynx in particular respond well to training. Ours seems much more social than other cat breeds. We have used that to teach Cleo what is acceptable and what isn't. It takes a little time and effort but it's worth it because both you and your baby enjoy each other more. Treats and Praise, and an occasional "timeout" work wonders.

oolahappi

Lairian
I agree with Yoda Mom about figuring out if they like horizontal or vertical. My previous fur cat use to like to stretch out on the bottom carpeted stair and shreded the carpet. So I got a small mat that I directed her to scratch up by putting cat nip on it. My naked likes verticals and climbing. She did shred some old fabric counter stools, but generally uses her post which she can stretch up to and climb up on. I find carpeted posts are best. I tried a cheap cardboard one, but my cat was more interested in trying to chew on it.

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It depends on the material for my girl. We have a futon for a couch (with over 200lbs of dogs that like to jump on the couch I am not getting a regular couch anytime soon lol!) The nice thing about the futon is you can change the covers and wash them! The last 2 covers we had were some rough and textured kind of material that Agnes loved to use as a scratching post. Every corner on that thing and the top was shredded from her using it as her own personal scratching device. She likes things with some texture. We change the cover recently to a microfiber and she hasn't touched it!! yay! Now if only I can get her to stop scratching the computer chairs and the bench at the end of our bed it would be a miracle! Lol.

meandmytwo

Lairian
I have also heard that microfiber is good for detering scratching. We have it on dining chairs and they haven’t touched it with their nails in spite of laying on it a lot.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This was a fear of mine when we first got Kenzo. I had never owned a cat, and was terrified of our furniture being destroyed.
Before he came home, I bought one of each kind of scratcher! Nothing crazy expensive, just one of carpet, one of thin braided sisal, one of thick rolls of sisal, and one of cardboard. I had horizontal and vertical variations as well. I placed them all over the house, in areas we commonly occupy, as I was told cats like to ‘show off’ their scratching.
Then, when he came home I went around like a mad woman and scratched all the scratchers myself and gave him treats and praise if he did too! Every time I could see him attempting to scratch furniture, I said NO! Then took him to the nearest scratcher, scratched it, and praised him for doing the same. If I saw he kept going to a particular piece of furniture, I’d put a scratcher directly in front of it and made sure to stay diligent.
There was one bench he kept going for, so I also covered it temporarily with a blanket so he couldn’t get to it.

When Minka came home, I did the same with her. She’s much less hardheaded, so she was a fast learner! They use all their scratchers. She prefers cardboard and carpet, he prefers thick rolled sisal. I will admit, there was one chair that I allowed them to ‘have.’ It was my vanity chair in the master walk-in. It sits right besides their main litter box, and both of them enjoy a good scratch before/after a poo. It is the only piece of furniture they are allowed to scratch, but it’s also a cheap chair I didn’t care for and it’s out of sight of guests. Once I replace it, they will NOT be allowed to scratch the new vanity chair.

I hope something in my post is helpful. It’s a mix of all the great advice I received from people here at the Lair, and it worked for both my sphynx!

Annejo12

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would suggest different types of scratching posts all over the house. We have floor ones, tree ones, string, cardboard and cheap IKEA rugs all over our house. Every once in awhile she will stretch her arms up and claw the leather but I just scold her and she stops.

My vet does not declaw cats. She says it is cruel and painful.