Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Scratching post recommendations

smgarcia

Lairian
hey all!

My kitty gotcha day is in two weeks and I have everything except a scratcher. I obviously want to start off on the right note and eliminate furniture scratching from the get-go. I have a couch made of material that quite frankly I think the kitty will find appealing.... (sigh). SO I was wondering if you guys had any tips to start the scratching post use as quickly as possible for a problem free start. Some questions I have-

1. Shopping on amazon right now, anyone have any recommended scratching posts their cats love? So many different types with different materials...

2. Should I consider spraying my couch with a repellent on the corners beforehand so that kitty doesn’t even see it appealing when he gets here?

3. I’ve read scratchers are best located in the areas where people hang out. I don’t want something too ugly in the middle of my somewhat small apartment... any tips on putting it in the best location for my kitty but keeping it pleasing to the eye/ discrete?

Yoda mom

Staff member
@smgarcia , mine all love the Omega leaning scratching post flat on the ground! Instead of leaning on wall
It's carpet like material on the one I got

Also a regular scratching post- that are usually too short for a good sctretch n scratch -
so I lay it on its side and they stand on it like a tree trunk to scratch :) discovered accidentally when I knocked it over and they loved it !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 41

Yoda mom

Staff member
@smgarcia , mine also likes the smartcat really tall one-

I found varies prices online

The top perch and red pad does not come with it -
so I bought it separately
It has Velcro on the pad but I needed to add extra Velcro
Because of their zoomies jumping onto it!
I put it next to the couch I thought they would scratch
Amd if they even looked at the couch -
I scratched On the scratching post myself amd praised them along with treats for using the variety of scratching posts

Mine wake up in the morning and the scratchers are the first visit before food lol

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't have scratching post recommendations--we've always bought posts from the nearest pet shop. But I can tell you that most of our cats went for the posts, and some loved the rope-covered posts better, so you might offer a post with both rope and carpet.

We have had a few cats--including Mr. Marcus Antonius Anubis--that like to scratch furniture instead of posts. Marcus' preferred places of destruction are the bottom corners of our bed. We have had to wrap the corners in duct tape (it isn't as bad as it sounds; it comes in designer colors, and white tape at least matched the bed color). We had one cat that just destroyed a couch and a wicker chair, but most of them took to the post without us doing more than play with them there. If you want to wrap the corners of the couch to deter your baby, you can try clear packing tape or even double-stick tape. Cats do not like the feel of either, and it has stopped the destruction of our bed.

We actually allowed the cat to destroy the wicker chair, because then she didn't touch any other furniture in the temporary furnished rental we were in that year. So sometimes that may have to be a choice too.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Don't get a fur covered one. I've heard they make a mess. Make sure it's carpet :).
I actually found a lady where I live who makes cat trees, I got exactly what I wanted for half the price of what th pet store wanted for a mediocre tree :)

smgarcia

Lairian
@smgarcia , mine also likes the smartcat really tall one-

I found varies prices online

The top perch and red pad does not come with it -
so I bought it separately
It has Velcro on the pad but I needed to add extra Velcro
Because of their zoomies jumping onto it!
I put it next to the couch I thought they would scratch
Amd if they even looked at the couch -
I scratched On the scratching post myself amd praised them along with treats for using the variety of scratching posts

Mine wake up in the morning and the scratchers are the first visit before food lol

Yes I saw this!! It has really awesome reviews. Might be purchasing this one!

Back