Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Seeking advice from successful litter quitters

Wednesdaysmum

Lairian
Hey there friends,

I am seeking advice from any sphynx parents who have successfully toilet trained their sphynx using litter quitter or similar products.

We have had Wednesday now for 7 months and are on our third attempt.

On the first occasion he suffered constipation when we entered the Amber zone due to with holding. He was very tiny at the time, only 3.5 months, so we think the hole was too much for him.

We then waited for him to get a little bigger and tried for a second time. During our second attempt, he made it to green zone however then started pooping on the floor. Before we started on the greenzone he was doing really well. Feeling like we may have moved through the stages too quickly which may have caused him some stress, we returned to normal litter for a number of weeks before starting from the red zone again.

We are now on our third attempt and have moved slower than suggested as we dont want to rush or stress him again. He has been successfully using the Amber zone for a number of weeks however we have recently noticed he is only using the litter for poos. He will instead opt for the kitchen sink to do a wee. If he needs to do both, he will use the sink for the wee before proceeding to the litter for the poo. He is also very audible when it comes to using the litter and will dig in it while meowing loudly for about 2-5 minutes before doing his business. Sometimes he will even go back 2 or 3 times before he actually decides to do it.

Whilst I do want to succeed in toilet training him, I don't want to be causing my little boy any unnecessary stress or potentially medical issues from with holding so am unsure whether to persevere or just go back to using a regular litter box.

Has anyone successfully trained their sphynx to use the toilet? How long did this take you? Do you have any helpful tips?

Thanks so much!

Sheldon13

Staff member
Just an opinion here, but it sounds like your guy is one of those who is really dependent on the digging factor, which leads me to believe it would be best for him to go back to the litter box. I tried training my girl and the first time she pooped on the floor she was embarrassed for hours and hid under the bed, which she never does. I cried, and put the litter box right back down and have not tried again since.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Hope members who toilet trained their cat will chime in. I know toilet training is not something for all cats. Some cats can't go without the digging a hole to China part;-)

Kelnym

Lairian
Hope members who toilet trained their cat will chime in. I know toilet training is not something for all cats. Some cats can't go without the digging a hole to China part;-)

Yep, Dublin needs to dig for a solid several minutes in order to do his business, and then he needs to bury it for another several minutes once he's done. Overall, going to the bathroom is a solid 8 minutes of messing around with litter. I can't imagine him not being able to do that.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Bless Iv never trained my kitty to use the toilet that’s amazing! The only thing is about peeing and pooping separate, Binky my kitty has two litters and will only poop downstairs then go upstairs to pee, she digs and circles in her litter for a few mins, this must be the wild kitty in them!

Goodolben

Lairian
I'd love to chime in but we're still on Amber. Maybe for another week. We had to watch deet and manually position her a few times before she got it, and she's the slow learner. We also waited until they were six months before starting.