Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

SELF CLEANING - MULTI CAT - CAT LITTER BOX - SUGGESTIONS?

Teri L

Lairian
We are looking to purchase a few Self-Cleaning cat litter boxes for our crew and was curious if anyone had any recommendations or warnings to stay away from a certain one before I dropped a whole bunch of money on some! :)

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Teri

admin

Administrator
Staff member
We are looking to purchase a few Self-Cleaning cat litter boxes for our crew and was curious if anyone had any recommendations or warnings to stay away from a certain one before I dropped a whole bunch of money on some! :)

Thank you, in advance, for your help!

Teri
I believe @Catzzzmeow may use one, perhaps she will chime in. :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We LOVE the open air litter robot! Ours crew took to it immediately. We use less litter and we bought the extra attachment (steps) and they help to contain the litter quite well. We have a kitten, so we had to turn off the automatic function until he is 5 pounds to be safe. If a cat steps in while the unit is rotating is automatically shuts off as long as they are over 5 pounds...so until he is 5 pounds I unplugged it and manually cycle it to be safe. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Catzzzmeow , what are the dimesions?
Is it really big ?
Steps are optional? Lol
Something I could make a litter box hack for it to use in his man cave lol
Since he doesn't scoop
I thought it would be good if I have to go out of town

Can we use Dr elseys litter with it ?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
It is big, so you need a good size space for it.

Fully Assembled: 29.2" High, 24.1" Wide and 26.7" Deep
Waste Drawer: 12 3/4" Wide, 15.5" Long, 5" Deep
Waste Port: 5 1/2" Wide, 5 3/4" Long, Diagonal 6 1/4"
Oval Shaped Entry for the Cat: 15.2" High, 10.7" Wide
Litter Bed Area at Maximum Litter Capacity: 14" Across
Head Room for Cat Inside Globe: 15" to 17", depending on the level of litter
Inside Width of Globe at Widest Point: 20" Across
Depth of Globe: 20" Front to Back

Teri L

Lairian
We LOVE the open air litter robot! Ours crew took to it immediately. We use less litter and we bought the extra attachment (steps) and they help to contain the litter quite well. We have a kitten, so we had to turn off the automatic function until he is 5 pounds to be safe. If a cat steps in while the unit is rotating is automatically shuts off as long as they are over 5 pounds...so until he is 5 pounds I unplugged it and manually cycle it to be safe. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Patti
thank you so much for your input!!!! I will look into that right now!!!

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Since we are getting Phil, Jason is letting me get the Litter Robot! IM SOOOO EXCITED, this week just continues
to get better and better.

I know Phil will need to use an "old fashion" litter box until he gains more weight to be able to use the robot but boy oh boy am I looking forward to no longer having to scoop poop! And I am sure Pete will be quite intrigued by it.

We are ordering it this weekend so we can get Pete use to it and familiar with it way before Phil comes home as I am trying
to minimize Petes stress to a bare minimum.

Any advice on how to coax Pete to use the litter robot?? - Would be greatly appreciated! We will of course leave his current litter box out and about until he gets comfortable with the litter robot.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Google coupons for the robot. Last I knew there was a $20 off coupon floating out there which I did not know about when we ordered. We needed no coaxing. I would keep unplugged for a day or two and put some poop/pee from existing box in it so he gets the hint. Hoping you love it as much as we do!

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Although I have watch a million videos and read a trillion reviews.....Question for all who have the litter robot.

I am still waiting for ours to arrive, there has been a delay due to winter not giving up! haha

Anyways Pete is a kicker and a litter player when it comes to the litter box and loves to toss it around and such. I am just wondering if this will be an issue and cause litter to go every where?
I know there is a litter guard attachment you can buy that I may look into after I see how Pete takes to the litter robot.

My next question is the amount of litter that goes in the litter robot (just based on videos and pictures) doesn't seem like a lot? Although I know videos and pictures can be deceiving....

And then my last question is - since Pete likes to gallop around in his litter box like its a sand box he has scratched up the bottom of the litter box pretty good........ I am just concerned that the rubber/latex that the litter sits on may not last long with him and his "playing"
Is it really durable???

Sorry I know I could just wait a day or two and answer these questions myself but would love if other members could chime in!

THANKS!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Mal the rubber part is very thick and durable. You are correct, it does not require a lot of litter in the orb.There is actually a line on the rubber part to give you the level to fill it to. If you overfill, it can interfere with cycling and it dumps way too much into bin and is a waste or stops cycling. I do recommend end buying Clorox wipes to wipe down the screen part and the shoot part. It can get poop streaks from time to time. We went a month or so without the stairs and we had litter everywhere. Getting the stairs helps tremendously as they have a lip on each step so it catches most of it. I will say we were surprised how lightweight the steps were for the cost, but it is sturdy and functional. Hope this info helps.

Patti

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks Patti!

I just know Pete loves to play in the litter box like its a sand box so I hope he can manage with less litter!

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Okay!

I will find that out soon! Most likely tomorrow as UPS attempted delivery today but clearly I am at work so I can pay the robot off, haha jk!

Thanks for the input, will post in here in a few days on Petes discovery and use of the robot!

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
The Litter Robot showed up last night, Pete was curious about it and as soon as I put some litter in it, he immediately went in it and took a pee and then was confused when we cycled it! He had one paw up in the air like "STOP STOP WHERE ARE YOU TAKING MY PEE!"

I still need to mess around with it a bit to figure out the functions and light indicators.

Wanted to ask if any one has purchased the fence/guard thing for it? I woke up this morning and Pete had been "digging" so there was a fair amount of litter outside/every where so wondering if the fence/guard will prevent that? I have read mixed reviews about it online but hoping a member can chime in!

Back