Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Senior Dog Questions

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Boogie, my pit-boxer mix is approaching 12 years this summer. He is the sweetest, smartest, and obedient companion ever! I always joked that, if I left out a weeks worth of dog food all at once, then he would still eat his perfect portions everyday.... In contrast to my yorkie, who would keep eating until he was sick!... All of a sudden, over the past few weeks, we’ve noticed that Boogie has been stealing food off our plates right in front of us, with zero remorse. He flips his bowl over randomly throughout the day/night, signaling for more food, even when he’s eaten a full day’s amount already. A few times now, he has jumped up where I keep the cats’ food and demolished every morsel! As a result, he’s packed on quite a few extra pounds. We really just noticed the weight gain this week during his nail grooming.
Prior to these new behaviors, I could leave an entire burger in his reach, tell him ‘no sir, don’t touch,’ leave the house for an hour, and come back to find him drooling, staring, but never touching my food! Frankly, it seems like Boogie does not give AF in his old age. All rules are out the door.
He does have cataracts due to age, and I believe some hearing loss as well. We find him barking at everything now... Another relatively new habit. Oh, and he has old man farts too! ; )

If anyone has experience to share with senior dogs, please do! He’s my first born, so, naturally, he’s the first to reach seniority.

C569D0CD-4B56-4B8F-948A-5F79C7DBB197.jpeg

Sheldon13

Staff member
It sounds like he is just getting a little senioritis. Aka getting old. It’s kind of a case on senility. Also I have no doubt that his hearing issues contribute. He’s a cutie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He's gorgeous! Love his shirt as well :giggle: Don't have any experience with elderly dogs myself, but it does sound like how humans get when they get old, that "I'm old, and have no time or patience for these unnecessary niceties!" kind of attitude :p

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica awhhh Boogie is precious!

I have had several rotties reach senior double digits . I do recommend you ask your vet about a full blood panel including a separate thyroid test / wellness check - alway good to monitor thyroid function etc . It gives a good baseline as our babies become seniors.
I would talk with your vet and follow his/her advise for Boogie .

As far as weight gain in large dogs - dealing with this now with my rottie boy Sam.
His meds side effects packed on pounds to 163!

I switched him from Acana ( vet wanted him off grain free ) to Eagle pack reduced fat in the light blue bag after a lot of research. (It has low fat comparable to the vet sold diet food fat % )
No recalls. Actually comes in a 30 lb bag too amd the kibble is not too large at all . My whole crew is on eagle pack now. The younger dogs are on eagle pack in the dark blue bag.

Their coats are shiny soft and solid poo even with the faster than normal transition I had to do .
Lol I laugh that they poop like cats- small and firm.

I feed my boy 3 cups a day total split into two meals

Do you feed Boogie once a day or twice?

Sam does not act hungry and actually likes the Eagle Pack reduced fat food - the younger dogs even tried to steal it out of the bsg so ordered them the regular version of it .

Eagle pack is a wellness product - just the old school version grain inclusive not a lot of people are aware of - they answer the phone too when you call and send coupons upon request .
Here is the bag I feed my older boys

Sam has lost 10 lbs ! In a few months - had his blood work last month including thyroid test and is good!
He actually looks better on Eagle Pack than he did on Acana .
Lots of energy to play - well not the best fetcher pounces plays more likes cat with his ball- doesn’t have the best joints anymore .

Highly recommend you chat with your vet about Blood test /thyroid test to make sure all is good!

Boogie is adorable! Head smooches sent !
Keep us updated !

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom Thank you for the advice! Boogie has his yearly coming up soon, so I will ask for the blood panel.
For the past 2-3 years, Boogie has been on Blue Buffalo Basics: Senior Formula. He is allergic to grain, corn, chicken (as well as soap, grass, tomatoes, etc, lol), so we would need to stick to a grain free option.
All the boys get fed twice a day. Often times, Boogie wouldn’t finish his portions, and I would have to save leftovers. Now, he cleans his bowl, then runs around trying to see if the cats’ or Brodie’s bowls are unattended so he may steal some more grub. He also will lay by his empty bowl and pout, or get impatient and flip the bowl/bring it to me. Very bossy in his old age, lol.
As you can see from the photos, the weight gain is fairly recent. The first photo (shirt on) was taken in October 2018. The second was this morning.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@alandsim I will look into that!
He doesn’t eat his meals necessarily faster or more ravenous than normal. Rather, he eats, then begs and steals food for the rest of the day, which he never did before.
I do think the slow-feeders could work as more of a stimulus for him. That way, he’s occupied for longer. Thanks for the tip!

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
he is handsome! I also agree with @Yoda mom to have thyroid checked at his next visit. My senior american bulldog had thyroid disease since he was 6 or 7. He also had IBD, either way he was always hungry! He would eat until he got sick and eat some more if we let him. We fed him 3 times a day (if he went too long between meals he would get sick also due to the IBD)

Positive vibes! Keep us posted.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Yoda mom Aw thank you! He’s doing okay. The weight gain has leveled out, but he’s still old, lol. I just bought him a new orthopedic cooling gel/memory foam bed bc he’s having trouble getting on & off our bed now. He has some days where he’s super sharp & clear & much like his usual self. Then, other days he’s kind of in a fog of confusion. You can tell by the look in his eyes.
I’ve been having him go through his whole repertoire of tricks everyday now. I’ve also been doing daily mental exercises with him using one of those doggie games where you hide treats & they have to find them by moving blocks around. It seems to help keep him present! Also hoping to introduce some CBD supplements into his diet to see if that gives him any other relief/help.
He’s happy & sweet as always... just with more grays & a lot more gas. {}

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
*Update* I got Boogie a new orthopedic bed to accommodate his aging bones so he wouldn’t need to jump on & off our bed. I was pleasantly surprised that he actually took the his new bed instantly! We’ve gone through MANY beds of all shapes & sizes, but it’s like we’ve been playing Goldilocks for the past decade! :ROFLMAO: Finally found one that was just right!

I maybe delusional, but I honestly feel like he’s been much more his self since we got the new bed! He’s been much more alert, happy & energetic. I’m so pleased that he loves it!

*Current status: Boogie sleeping on the floor & tiny Minka is sprawled out on his bed. :rolleyes::0

646CC82C-2AD6-45EB-8D91-244CD0EA36CD.jpeg
B1A32874-C4C5-4665-A447-0972A95E09A2.jpeg
056BC114-B86E-4EF9-B6BE-0E15584F4595.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica awhhhh adorable ! boogie has spunk in them eyes!
Precious!
Yup, check my old avatar pic .... Yoda girl hogging the middle of Max’s dog bed lol
Poor 130 lb dog would lay his head on the corner of the bed and 8 lb kitty ruling the bed lol

Hugs n head smooches !

Hmmm why is it the kittles love the dog beds here but turn their noses up to kitty beds !

Back