Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sensitive tummy

essex314

Lairian
Hello Kitty peeps,
My little guy is 8 months & finding that his tummy is sooo sensitive to EVERYTHING. I'm a first time sphynx owner & admit that
I've panicked and brought him to the vet multiple times with diarrhea only to be sent home.

I currently feed him Royal canine kitten wet/dry with a probiotic (Kitty Bloom Xtrabloom Digest-Aid). Anytime I try to
add in a treat or different food to try (slowly), he has violent diarrhea. I'm nervous because I'll eventually have to transition him to adult food.

Is this normal for this breed? Any suggestions / recommendations? Similar stories?

:) Julia

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! A lot of our sphynxes have a sensitive tummy. If I understand it correctly your boy does well on the royal canin? No diarrhea if you only feed him that food? Then I would keep to this food and add nothing new for lets say 3-4 months. Cats are very sensitive for any change in food. Your boys tummy is upset so he will be more sensitive. Try to give his tummy some rest with no change. When you need to change to adult food, choose one that is closed to the kitten food. I think that’ll be Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal.
Change slowly. First week 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food. Second week 1/2 old and 1/2 new. Third week 3/4 new and 1/4 old. Fourth week only the new food.

essex314

Lairian
Welcome to sphynxlair! A lot of our sphynxes have a sensitive tummy. If I understand it correctly your boy does well on the royal canin? No diarrhea if you only feed him that food? Then I would keep to this food and add nothing new for lets say 3-4 months. Cats are very sensitive for any change in food. Your boys tummy is upset so he will be more sensitive. Try to give his tummy some rest with no change. When you need to change to adult food, choose one that is closed to the kitten food. I think that’ll be Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal.
Change slowly. First week 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food. Second week 1/2 old and 1/2 new. Third week 3/4 new and 1/4 old. Fourth week only the new food.

That makes sense & is super helpful. The last bout was yesterday, I took him off the probiotic cold turkey & within 2-days his tummy was upset. Knowing this, I’m not going to change anything. Thank you for sharing your insight :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
Great advice given
Also to share I use their kibble as treats

Check with the food that you find works and ask the company and yovdt if it is formulated for cat/kitten

I feed Nutrisource cat/kitten in the blue bag amd finally no more poo issues like they had on Acana amd the zillion other foods tried to slowly transition 4 sphynx

This food I can feed n go without any issues
No recalls either advertised for gut health

Yoda mom

Staff member
@essex314
I use kibble as treats - they have no clue lol
I put in a little jar and they come running !
They actually turn their nose up on so many treats I have tried
So went with kibble to keep bums good too