Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Seperation issues ???

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well as many of you may know my partner paul has a brain tumour so besides hospital & other appointments were home pretty much all the time...this week is the school half-term & paul went to his aunties from dinner until 11pm giving me some much needed quality time with my family alone, weve had a amazing day...me & my sister took 7 kids to soft play for 3 hours then home for an hour to make a fuss of the dogs & cats & toilet duties, then i went out for a lovely meal with my friends, ive just collected paul, sorted the nightime meds & flopped on my bed only to find that Blue has pee'd on it, he has done this once before when we had a full day of chemo but today i made a massive fuss of them when i come in & give them all kisses & treats so i dont want to confuse him by praising him downstairs & telling him off upstairs, it couldnt be the scent from the last pee he done as obviously that quilt went in the bin, ive shown him what hes done & told him its not good & flashed the quilt & dryed it with the hairdryer, i cant do much more until tomorrow when i can buy another duvet...does anybody elses baby have seperation issues as that is all i can put it down to, hes good as gold & so clean, no accidents not even the odd slip-up unless hes alone, i dont want to shut him out of my room as that will confuse him as he sleeps in our bed, he can handle a couple of hours alone but after that he seems to fret....what should i do ??? Hes 8 months old now HELP PLEASE !!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
How are your sure it is him. You mention other cats and dogs. Just want to make sure you are covering all bases.

patti

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Im pretty sure Blues the culprit, my staffys are 11 & 7 & fifa is nearly 8 & weve never had a problem with them, Blue just had a guilty look on his face, might sound silly but usually he'll run up the stairs & race me to the bed, today he sat on the landing...everybody else was acting normal, plus the dogs couldnt get past the baby gate on the stairs & fifa is so clean i could leave him indoors for a week & he'd pop before he'd pee in the house, so kind of rules out everybody else xxx

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just keep an eye. Feeling guilty is not a real animal reaction, it is more what we perceive. You saying he acted different might mean there is something else going on, just keep your eyes open for a UTI.

nfaerie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Im pretty sure Blues the culprit, my staffys are 11 & 7 & fifa is nearly 8 & weve never had a problem with them, Blue just had a guilty look on his face, might sound silly but usually he'll run up the stairs & race me to the bed, today he sat on the landing...everybody else was acting normal, plus the dogs couldnt get past the baby gate on the stairs & fifa is so clean i could leave him indoors for a week & he'd pop before he'd pee in the house, so kind of rules out everybody else xxx
My advice is to shut him out of your room when you are not here. Make it a rul that they can go in only if there is a person there.

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeah I agree with nfaerie. They probably won't care to go in there much unless you are in there, unless you have a lot of toys and beds in there.

For the problem itself, it could be a UTI like Patti says. Have you changed litter or anything recently that would make him not want to use the litter box? When he uses it does he seem uncomfortable? (eg. not covering, awkward with his paws)

Do you know why he did it before? was it just random? Just because you are out the house all day doesn't seem like a reason alone for peeing in the wrong place.

And I wouldn't rule out the other cat for sure. Our previous DSHs had the odd accident as they got on a bit in age, or he might have some issue causing the peeing.

How do you know he frets after a few hours of being alone? With our cats, they fuss for a little bit then fall asleep or entertain themselves no problem. Especially with Blue not being an only kitten.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If I am not home, all the bathroom and bedroom doors are shut - including when we go away for the weekend, etc. The kitties have full run of the kitchen, stairs, living room, and hallway. I do it because then there are no places for them to hide, but also because then there is less for them to get into. I don't think you have to feel cruel for shutting the bedroom door while you are gone.

They definitely act a bit differently when we have been gone all day or even for the weekend. But I would keep an eye on the other animals too for who is the culprit. It would be awful to miss a symptom of one of the others just to think that it is little Blue making the trouble :)

Ollie

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just wondering why you need to throw out duvet? There are good sprays out there that neutralize odours from cat urine and then soak and wash the comforter? I've used just cheap white vinegar in the first soak and washed again with regular detergent. Also I have used the neutralizing sprays on a floor mat
with no other accidents ( knock on wood!!!).
I would totally shut my bedroom door if not home like the others said! I leave a little heated bed in the hall outside our bedroom door for when we are not home for an extended period. Plus a few blankets here or there.
Prayers sent for your partner Paul :)

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for all the advice, i agree shutting the door is going to be my plan off action, there is 1 large dog bed & 3 cat beds (2 on radiators & cat igloo under the kitchen table against a radiator) in the kitchen & hallway plus plenty if toys so you are right there is no need for me to keep letting him have full run of the house when we are not home, maybe i was a little quick to point the finger, i will defo keep an eye on the others as fifa has had poorly eyes so even tho he is feeling tons better whos to say something else isnt bothering him, the reason i will buy a new duvet is because im paranoid this will happen again & i only bought a cheap £10 one from asda last time we had this accident because somebody mentioned that cats will go back to where they smell their scent, so i binned it, no problems with blue & his cat litter, hes weeing & pooing as normal but i must say last night he had done a poo while we was out, usually he lets us know when hes been toilet & we take the poo out straight away...he doesnt seem to like a dirty box so all poos get flushed & the litter gets changed every day...maybe he was unhappy it was left in there ??? He slept in bed as normal with us last night, infact as i write this hes on my shoulder purring like a motorbike lol, i'm just gonna shut the door from now on & hope he doesnt fret after all he does have his 2 doggy-siters & Fifa to keep him company, thanks for all your advice, now im off to asda before paul wakes up :) xxx

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just wondering why you need to throw out duvet? There are good sprays out there that neutralize odours from cat urine and then soak and wash the comforter? I've used just cheap white vinegar in the first soak and washed again with regular detergent. Also I have used the neutralizing sprays on a floor mat
with no other accidents ( knock on wood!!!).
I would totally shut my bedroom door if not home like the others said! I leave a little heated bed in the hall outside our bedroom door for when we are not home for an extended period. Plus a few blankets here or there.
Prayers sent for your partner Paul :)
Thankyou hope ollies feeling better xxx

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hopefully changing things up will have better results, even if it was not him. I too, am often gone for long days and sometimes overnights. My one, has a lot of anxiety with me leaving, but we make sure he gets a lot of play time and attention before and after going. Before I leave we have a routine, and it helps him to realize I am leaving. Good luck. Hoping and praying things are alright with Paul as well.

Jen

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hopefully changing things up will have better results, even if it was not him. I too, am often gone for long days and sometimes overnights. My one, has a lot of anxiety with me leaving, but we make sure he gets a lot of play time and attention before and after going. Before I leave we have a routine, and it helps him to realize I am leaving. Good luck. Hoping and praying things are alright with Paul as well.

Jen
Thankyou jen, i know you have your own battle on your hands as i have noticed on your pics & a few comments that you too are on treatment, if you dont mind me saying i think your amazing, your brave & always sound so positive & i love the way your proud of how you look & feel comfortable with your hairloss & do not try to hide it, you will be a inspiration to many women fighting the battle, your mum must be so proud of you & you should be proud of yourself :) by the sounds of things you have a great support network including a few of the ladies on here (im presuming a few of you know each other personally)...keep smiling & dont ever look back, every days a big step as ive learnt with paul, lots of love too you xxxx

susi794

Staff member
You mention cleaning the duvet or replacing it....but did you neutralize what was UNDER it? The smell might still be there. I agree about making a routine and closing your bedroom door. And hitting my knees right now for Paul. May God hold him in His loving embrace and heal him completely. Amen.

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You mention cleaning the duvet or replacing it....but did you neutralize what was UNDER it? The smell might still be there. I agree about making a routine and closing your bedroom door. And hitting my knees right now for Paul. May God hold him in His loving embrace and heal him completely. Amen.
Thankyou susi we pray & say thanks every day as we realise how lucky we are, people are to quick to take the small things in life for granted & not realise just how precious time is...back to blue, under the quilt we have a matteress topper that we throw in the wash, the pee didnt go all the way through the duvet, i washed the bedding & binned the quilt, the door is definatley going to be shut now i agree that is a sensible idea i was just leaving it open so blue could get into our bed whenever he wanted, we have pet beds throughout the house & he has 3 furry friends to cuddle into theres no reason for it to be open, my foot has officially gone down today lol :) xxx

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thankyou jen, i know you have your own battle on your hands as i have noticed on your pics & a few comments that you too are on treatment, if you dont mind me saying i think your amazing, your brave & always sound so positive & i love the way your proud of how you look & feel comfortable with your hairloss & do not try to hide it, you will be a inspiration to many women fighting the battle, your mum must be so proud of you & you should be proud of yourself :) by the sounds of things you have a great support network including a few of the ladies on here (im presuming a few of you know each other personally)...keep smiling & dont ever look back, every days a big step as ive learnt with paul, lots of love too you xxxx

Thank you for the kind words. I actually don't mind being bald- it's so much easier than having hair! Lol. No bad hair days or worrying about a colic or curling iron, or hair dryer! But my baby fuzz is growing back right now! We'll see if it sticks around. I haven't had fuzz for awhile and so now everyone at work feels the need to rub it like a puppy. I told them to be careful, they're gonna rub me a bald spot!

My Moses is currently standing next to me as I get ready to head to the dentist, he needs to make sure I'm only going for a short while! I'll make sure to tell him it'll only be an hour!

Jen

MyJezebel

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was unaware of your husband's health situation. I hope that his treatment is successful and that he makes a full recovery. I will be keeping him in my prayers. As for Blue, since he's only ever done it on the bed, hopefully keeping him out of the room when you guys are all out of the house will solve the problem.

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thank you for the kind words. I actually don't mind being bald- it's so much easier than having hair! Lol. No bad hair days or worrying about a colic or curling iron, or hair dryer! But my baby fuzz is growing back right now! We'll see if it sticks around. I haven't had fuzz for awhile and so now everyone at work feels the need to rub it like a puppy. I told them to be careful, they're gonna rub me a bald spot!

My Moses is currently standing next to me as I get ready to head to the dentist, he needs to make sure I'm only going for a short while! I'll make sure to tell him it'll only be an hour!

Jen

Jen
Good luck at the dentist, lets hope you need no treatment, think youve been through enough dont you ;) keep smiling people like you make the world a nicer place :) xxx

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was unaware of your husband's health situation. I hope that his treatment is successful and that he makes a full recovery. I will be keeping him in my prayers. As for Blue, since he's only ever done it on the bed, hopefully keeping him out of the room when you guys are all out of the house will solve the problem.
Thankyou, unfortunatley his tumour is unopperable its was graded at a 4 but after 30 sessions of radiotherapy & 13 months of chemo its grade has lowered so were really happy this will give him a couple of years before it gets aggressive again, just a case of getting the epilepsy & tumour seizures under control, were down to about 10 a day at the moment which is a massive difference just a case of balancing his medication & hormones as his brain has now stopped producing natural steroids, we just take every day as it comes & have learnt there is nothing more prescious than health & family, thankyou for thinking of us, a little faith goes a long way :) xxx

BluesMummy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thankyou, unfortunatley his tumour is unopperable its was graded at a 4 but after 30 sessions of radiotherapy & 13 months of chemo its grade has lowered so were really happy this will give him a couple of years before it gets aggressive again, just a case of getting the epilepsy & tumour seizures under control, were down to about 10 a day at the moment which is a massive difference just a case of balancing his medication & hormones as his brain has now stopped producing natural steroids, we just take every day as it comes & have learnt there is nothing more prescious than health & family, thankyou for thinking of us, a little faith goes a long way :) xxx
Oh & as for blue hes a little bugger, hes not been hime alone since but he keeps us on our toes, we desperatly wanted a baby for many years as our daughter is now 16 (& a absolute god send shes amazing !!!) after the treatment a human baby went out the window but blue is now our baby & every little one bed wets every now & again lol, love him to bits we do !!! xxx

Embracing-Joyx4

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You got a lot of good advise...vinegar is suppose to take away the odor but you can also get something made to take care of this in a pet store.
Closing your bedroom door sounds completely reasonable. (so don't feel bad), I would do the same thing.

Prayers to Paul

Christina

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Good luck at the dentist, lets hope you need no treatment, think youve been through enough dont you ;) keep smiling people like you make the world a nicer place :) xxx

Thanks ,but No...I had a cavity :wtf::yawn::whistle:, all of the antinausea meds make my mouth terribly dry. I don't know how long Paul has been on treatment, but make sure to tell him its a side effect. My dentist gave me a few different mouthwashes and rinses to keep my mouth not as dry but they don't work well and taste horrible. I've been on heavy treatment since September or so, and it just made it worse. Oh well. Today the assistant met me at the door and said "How are you?!" in an awfully perky voice....and I said "Not quite as perky as you are on this lovely Tuesday afternoon". Ugh. I'd rather have someone pull out my eyelashes one by one than go to the dentist. No offense to any dentists out there. But..blech.

Jen

Back