Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Severe Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Diagnosis :(

NatiBarr

Lairian
My 6 y/old baby bane had been having some funny things going on with his legs and a little cough that didn't seem to go away. I took him to the cardiologist and after an Echo she said he had pretty severe hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. "Severe Enlargement of Left Ventricle" and "Severe enlargement of heart". She put him on atenolol, enalapril, and plavix and told me that it was only a matter of time before he developed CHF and after that he probably only had a year. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of diagnosis or medication regiment? I'm so sad, he's so young and it was barely recognizable at all. I didn't imagine ever losing him this early it just absolutely breaks my heart.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@NatiBarr I’m so sorry to hear that. I don’t have any experience with HCM so hopefully others will chime in. Sending hugs your way.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
So sorry to hear Bane is having this health issue. Can imagine you feel devastated. Hope the meds will help so Bane can be with you as long as possible. Cherrish every day and cuddle Bane a lot. Hugs for you

Yoda mom

Staff member
@NatiBarr ((((((hugs)))))) and head smooches to sweet Bane .
Remember he only knows your love .

I had a Bengal , Kato, on the same meds for quite sometime .
We lived everyday to the fullest ... He would smile and purr at me like nothing was wrong ..
He did cough at times and I Monitored his respiration rate as instructed by my vet.

** I did get a pill popper from my vet for all his pills . It made it Sooo much easier . I ordered an extra one online. It made daily pill time less stressful .
I straddled him on the bed between my legs to give him the pills with the pill popper .
I also kept a liquid plunger from the vet with a little water to the inside of the check to wash it down .

After the initial diagnosis shock and tears , Kato and I got in a routine of pill popping then he was off to cuddle And live and love each day to the fullest

Here for you and Bane
Reach out PM me anytime ((((((hugs))))

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hearing the diagnoses is never easy. Hopefully the meds will stop any progression. Just please do not rob yourself of the pure joy of your baby. They know nothing but your love and kindness and that is EVERYTHING to them. My heart cat had a stage 2 murmur as a kitten...he was diagnosed with HCM and passed at 13. We have another girl with a restrictive form of heart disease diagnosed 2 years ago. She is 6. The meds have been working great and even reversed some of the issue. Who knows how long until things get worse, but for now I just will do my best to be happy and enjoy. The best advice I can give is what our vet shared when our first boy developed heart issues. Keep a log of breaths per minute try to do it a few times a week. You need to do it when they are complete rest and not purring. The obvious is count how many breaths for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. If you see a change by a couple of breaths progresses, get a vet check. It is the easiest way to monitor of CHF. Yes you will be paranoid, but it comes with the territory of being a great cat parent. Know we are here for you. You know how to find me. @NatiBarr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, those are the meds Merlin was on
He also had enlargement of the heart. We also used Vetmedin (pimobendan)

It is a drug mostly used for dogs but I had really good results with Merlin. I am sorry to hear of the diagnosis. The medication does help. Merlin did well for about a year. He had very severe heart disease and died at 8 years one month old.

NatiBarr

Lairian
@NatiBarr ((((((hugs)))))) and head smooches to sweet Bane .
Remember he only knows your love .

I had a Bengal , Kato, on the same meds for quite sometime .
We lived everyday to the fullest ... He would smile and purr at me like nothing was wrong ..
He did cough at times and I Monitored his respiration rate as instructed by my vet.

** I did get a pill popper from my vet for all his pills . It made it Sooo much easier . I ordered an extra one online. It made daily pill time less stressful .
I straddled him on the bed between my legs to give him the pills with the pill popper .
I also kept a liquid plunger from the vet with a little water to the inside of the check to wash it down .

After the initial diagnosis shock and tears , Kato and I got in a routine of pill popping then he was off to cuddle And live and love each day to the fullest

Here for you and Bane
Reach out PM me anytime ((((((hugs))))

Yeah my little guy has been so good at eating them with his wet snacks I give him in the morning. Thank you so much, it really means a lot!

NatiBarr

Lairian
Hearing the diagnoses is never easy. Hopefully the meds will stop any progression. Just please do not rob yourself of the pure joy of your baby. They know nothing but your love and kindness and that is EVERYTHING to them. My heart cat had a stage 2 murmur as a kitten...he was diagnosed with HCM and passed at 13. We have another girl with a restrictive form of heart disease diagnosed 2 years ago. She is 6. The meds have been working great and even reversed some of the issue. Who knows how long until things get worse, but for now I just will do my best to be happy and enjoy. The best advice I can give is what our vet shared when our first boy developed heart issues. Keep a log of breaths per minute try to do it a few times a week. You need to do it when they are complete rest and not purring. The obvious is count how many breaths for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. If you see a change by a couple of breaths progresses, get a vet check. It is the easiest way to monitor of CHF. Yes you will be paranoid, but it comes with the territory of being a great cat parent. Know we are here for you. You know how to find me. @NatiBarr

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I will start to count his breaths, we have a follow up in six months. Thank you all, it's so much easier knowing that other people are experiencing similar things. I've been giving him extra snuggles.

Back