Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Shaking head and scratching at ear

ArlosMom

Lairian
So for the past few days Arlo has been scratching at his ear and shaking his head a lot. His ears are clean (I do them every few days) and when he gets a bath, I don't let any water on his face or in his ears and just wash that area with a warm, wet washcloth when bath is over. Could he have an ear infection or something? He is acting fine and eating fine--just wondered if I should bring him in and have it checked out or is this somewhat normal for these guys? He usually will shake his head and scratch a lot right when he wakes up. Any thoughts?

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Scratching ear frequently could be a sign of an infection brewing. Did you also look in mouth just in case. If it seems excessive, I personally would go and get it checked out. Ear infections can be painful. You know your baby's behaviors best and if this is new, you should go for piece of mind.

Patti

ArlosMom

Lairian
@Catzzzmeow ; are you saying that something could look "off" in the mouth due to an ear infection or that something else could be going on in the mouth causing it? Either way, I will check..maybe he lost a tooth or something is stuck in there. Good thinking! Thank you!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just a stretch that if a back tooth is bothering them. They might shake their head and do the paw over the ear move. They are both so close it doesn't hurt to take a look.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Is he scratching at both ears or only at one side? If he keeps on doing this I would call the vet to ask for advice. I never heard of it by normal to sphynx to do this.
@Catzzzmeow did gave you a good suggestion. If I remember it well Arlo is now about 5 months old so he can be teething and maybe that's hurting him?

Back