Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Shampoo ? John Paul Pets?

DarkWing

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey ho, i saw yesterday in our mall at the hairshop where i bought alway my blonding cream , the products of john paul pets. did anyone make experices with them?

the foam or the moister shampoo? is it sphynx safe ?

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I’ve used John Paul Pets on my boxer/pit mix for years. He has sensitivities, it’s been pretty good. They have an oatmeal formula system that is pretty easy to lather up and rinses off well. It also doesn’t dry him out like previous pet shampoos I’ve used on him.

That being said, I’m not likely to ever use it on my sphynx. Their skin is much different than regular cats/dogs with fur. Even my yorkie, who has hair, not fur, has a different wash product (he shares my Redken of Paul Mitchell with me). :p

I’ve only bathed Kenzo once in the few months I’ve had him, but I went ahead and purchased Hylyt shampoo off Amazon, as recommended here on the Lair. It’s soap-free, and very gentle, plus I think it cuts grease easily! The only other wash I may use on him is Honest Co fragrance-free organic baby wash for sensitive skin. It is additive free as well, but it does include a ‘soap.’
With all the skin issues I’ve seen here, I play it safe. Hope that’s helpful!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I as a groomer have used the products you mentioned above. While they were fine on dogs they would be far from my first choice for my sphynx.
I attached a photo of my current bathing products. The Iv San Bernard products have really changed how much I have to wash the cats and has helped out with skin issues. The Mercola cat wash I really like for my most sensitive skin sphynx but I still use the 02 mask on her afterward.
Those are my two cents.....
9d06725a373de5d7a8b966e76e4786f1.jpg

DarkWing

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
thank you for your answer but some shampoos i don´t get in germany. i bath my cats not often because they don´t like it wan when i bath with baby shampoo. but esp. obe cat has often very dry skinn thats why i asked if anyone tried on a sphynx. on the website i couldn´t see anything about it ..... on the comercial pictir her the show a sphynx too

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I haven't used the shampoo, because I've bathed them like... twice, while I was there. I used Johnson & Johnson "No Tears" baby shampoo -- the bottle I have is still from the UK and still more than half full, so you can see how many baths my girls have had lol.
That said...
If you want something soap free and very ph neutral, maybe try the Baby SebaMed Wash Extra Soft?
(I have the soap free soap bar, but rarely use it.)

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have used Johnson’s baby bath shampoo until this was recommended to me it’s a degreasing shampoo you only need the tiniest amount as it’s really consentrated leaves my babies skin super soft and smelling amazing
9587B846-D089-473C-B2B5-2F42D7FF7C0E.png

It works really well for Cleo and Bagins I did ask questions about how it would suit sphynx little ones il try find the email they replied to me
Xxx❤️❤️❤️

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@DarkWing This maybe silly, but do y’all have Amazon where your from?
Amazon DE, yes. But a lot (A LOT) of the stuff you get on Amazon.com is not sold in Europe. A lot of Amazon.de (Germany) stuff isn't sold on Amazon.fr (France) and vice versa. Amazon.co.uk is okay, but again, much of it isn't sold outside the UK. None get much of the American stuff, and much on Amazon.com won't be sent outside the US.
The same goes for Ebay. Ebay in France is diabolical, whereas Ebay in Germany is okay, but Ebay.co.uk is better.
For instance -- A friend of mine in the US ordered Antihistamines and Ibuprofen in large quantities for me from Amazon.com.
You cannot order it on Amazon.de or Amazon.fr. At all. It's illegal to sell it there. (Medicine)
I can order big packs from an online pharmacy in the UK, but I have to jump through several hoops for them to be able to send it out.
A pack of Antihistamines (30) cost me about €5 in France.
A pack of 365 -- same stuff -- cost me $9.25 on Amazon.com.
(Oz gets antihistamines when the itching just gets too much -- and he's on a dose of 10-20 a day!)

DarkWing

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
yep thats roght what silke is written. we don´t get alot here or if ist extremely expensive ... some thing which sost 20 $ in usa wil cose in euro nearly 100 to 150 $

Anita , isn´t teatree oil not poisonned
?

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Anita , isn´t teatree oil not poisonned?
Take it from someone who does herbal remedies ALL the time -- it is the dilution and dosage that matters.
It depends how much tea tree oil is in there, the concentration of it, and how often it's used. If you've ever used it on yourself, then your cat likely licked more off an arm than is in there. :)
I use lots of homeopathy meds. Belladonna -- Deadly Nightshade -- is a painkiller that is FAR better than some of the over the counter stuff, as well as safer than Paracetamol!
Nux Vomica -- Strychnine -- is used for stomach ailments (especially cramps) and is a lot gentler than stuff you can get over the counter.
Apis Mellifica -- Bee poison -- is used to combat allergic reactions to insect stings. (Hives etc)

Obviously the dilutions of these matter greatly, as well as the dosage. I have them in my arsenal because they are easy to dose, they work, they are cheap, and effective -- and don't interfere with other meds.
Oz (my horse) went down TWICE with colic in Bavaria. The first time it was pretty harsh. He is not a horse who will stay down when someone is around. At all. He gets up, even with me, whom he trusts implicitly. That time, I brought him in and he collapsed into the shavings -- and stayed there. Very clearly unwell and in pain.
The nearest equine vet was 2 hours away. I called. He was out on a call. Earliest he could get there was 3-4 hours.
I asked him to come, just in case, but that I'd call if we got him back on his feet.
Now, conventional thinking is to get the horse up and walk it. All you do with that is exhaust the horse. Leave it down, let it roll, just not violently.
So there I was, covering the horse in blankets to keep him warm (it was freezing, which is why he colicked) throwing his horse blanket on him as well as 3 of the large fleeces I keep for the cats. (I have a million of them anyway) -- and gave him Belladonna D4 and Nux Vomica D4 (C2 in the US) every 15 minutes. Dose adjusted for his size, obviously. :) I worked on Human gets 5 drops so horse gets 15-20 drops at 4 times the weight. I use globuli (tiny sugar pearls) of them when they don't want to eat anything, because I can stick it in their mouth and it dissolves there.
This went on for about 2 hours. Every 15 mins he got another dose.
After an hour he was up on his feet, clearly feeling better, so I switched to D6 and 30 min intervals.
After another hour we had droppings -- and I called the vet saying he's okay. Vet said he's about an hour away and has to pass by us anyway, so he'll stop in just in case on his way home.
Well, by the time the vet arrived, Oz was munching hay and quite happy and sound. He'd had one more dose of D8, but that was that. No more was needed. The vet checked him over and said there are normal gut sounds and he should be fine -- and asked how we got him up. Told him, and he just nodded. "Did the right thing there." was his comment.
When Jez's eye was really, REALLY bad, and she was on a painkiller once a day, I asked my vet if it's okay to give her belladonna (D8) when the pain is bad. She said yes, that's no problem. So Jez got a sugar pill twice in the evening, on top of her painkiller (which she got in the morning) and was a lot more comfortable and didn't try to rub the eye constantly -- which made it heal faster.
She got D8 because D4 would be too high a dose for her size.
Aloe Vera is poisonous to cats too -- but again, only in quantity. There is not (usually) enough in shampoos for it to have an impact.
I also make a skin ointment (Plantain Salve) which is really good and works very well for itchy, flaky skin, which has Lavender in it as a preservative. I *could* use tea tree oil as well, but I'd have to cut it with another preservative oil, because the dilution could be too high when licked off. Since I'm not certain that it wouldn't do more harm than good, I don't use it.
As for the dilutions of the homeopathic remedies -- The higher the number, the more diluted it is. So, My D4 (C2) is much, much stronger than D12 (C6) for instance. (D12 and above is pointless to give, imho. There are more water impurities in that dilution than actual substance.)
I'll drop a post in about the different dilutions, and how they are used / their strengths, in case anyone is interested.

DarkWing

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i use some homopathic too, like Nux Vomica but very rare i´m not so into it with my knowledge. do what Vet once told by some symptoms and whene nobody is reach.

Good to know that he can have tea tree oil. i try to baned it also in my crrams ... i i cream me and cat will lick i take my leg or ram away ... i try to get them away from me than ..... no licking allowed.

Back