Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

SHAMPOO. Product question.

Khaleesi

Lairian
I am getting my first Sphynx in 2-3 weeks. I want to be ready for her arrival. I have done all my research. I want to order Sphynx suds when it comes out for sure but in the mean time I would like to get something temporary.
I work in feline nutrition. And natural holistic ways for healing. At my store I can order a natural shampoo.

My question is, is this safe for my girl, I know it is great for dogs and other cats.
It is wholistic pet heavenly pet shampoo
Coconut oil, jojoba oil, tea tree, orange, olive oil, aloe ver and rosemary extract

Will this be good until Sphynx suds comes out?

bthomas

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hmm...I'm not so sure.
I could be wrong, but I remember hearing that tea tree oil is a big NO NO for sphynx, or cats in general. But then again, if it says it is safe for cats but it has that oil in it maybe it is in a safe amount or something? I'm sure there will be more help from other members! Good luck!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You will find out, there is alot of things toxic to sphynx cats.
Also, aloe vera is too, other oils, lotions, etc. House plants are toxic to them also.
You need to research to find out about, all things that are toxic. Most breaders websites have a list of toxic items to keep your cat away from. You can search the forums here, ask if anyone knows, and look on the web. you really have to be careful with the sphynx. Baby shampoo and Baby magic is great. You can use those, alot of people here does. I do, there both very good.
That will do you, til the sphynx suds is available. I am looking foward to getting, the sphynx suds too. Hope this will help you.

Khaleesi

Lairian
You will find out, there is alot of things toxic to sphynx cats.
Also, aloe vera is too, other oils, lotions, etc. House plants are toxic to them also.
You need to research to find out about, all things that are toxic. Most breaders websites have a list of toxic items to keep your cat away from. You can search the forums here, ask if anyone knows, and look on the web. you really have to be careful with the sphynx. Baby shampoo and Baby magic is great. You can use those, alot of people here does. I do, there both very good.
That will do you, til the sphynx suds is available. I am looking foward to getting, the sphynx suds too. Hope this will help you.

Thank you so your advice. I know what household items, like plants, food etc are toxic to cats. I work (manager) of a store that deals with cat nutrition and healing, I am their cat person haha. Also I have 7 healthy cats, this is just my first sphynx. It's just I want the best ALL natural product to bathe my sphynx. I have heard both sides of baby shampoo, good, my breeder uses it. Then I have heard that it is not so good (a sphynx blog) because the cats skin is not the same as a babies the PH levels are very different therefore human products should be never used on a sphynx. They recommended Emu Oil shampoo. So my dilemma is everyone says different thing. I am a protective mommy when it comes to my kitties, I only want the best for them. And I like it to be all natural. No chemical.

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i found that the baby shampoo made spencer very oily in two days.

I use dawn dish soap with olay its pink and smells like grapefruit (a memeber here actually told me to use dawn and i love it)

for jedi, he has some skin acne so he gets oxy body wash. :)

Khaleesi

Lairian
i found that the baby shampoo made spencer very oily in two days.

I use dawn dish soap with olay its pink and smells like grapefruit (a memeber here actually told me to use dawn and i love it)

for jedi, he has some skin acne so he gets oxy body wash. :)

I have heard about Dawn,once I tried it on my Himalayan and it worked amazingly on him.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you so your advice. I know what household items, like plants, food etc are toxic to cats. I work (manager) of a store that deals with cat nutrition and healing, I am their cat person haha. Also I have 7 healthy cats, this is just my first sphynx. It's just I want the best ALL natural product to bathe my sphynx. I have heard both sides of baby shampoo, good, my breeder uses it. Then I have heard that it is not so good (a sphynx blog) because the cats skin is not the same as a babies the PH levels are very different therefore human products should be never used on a sphynx. They recommended Emu Oil shampoo. So my dilemma is everyone says different thing. I am a protective mommy when it comes to my kitties, I only want the best for them. And I like it to be all natural. No chemical.

I have never used the Emu oil shampoo, but I do use Baby magic
and Johnson and Johnson Baby shampoo. I want only the best for my
Izmae girl also, and won't settle for anything less, no matter the cost.
So, I have used these for over 3 yrs now, and haven't had a problem with eighter. But, all cats are not the same.

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I've used different things before. I used baby shampoo but sometimes it just doesn't cut the grease. The dish deterdent works well, as it cuts the grease wel and won't harm them. My personal favorite is human shampoo - Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo. It is made to clean the daily desposits left on your hair by regular shampoo and I used it on the kitties and found it works AMAZING in cutting the grease, keeps them squeaky clean for DAYS. Once, the store had Suave Men's Shampoo on sale for VERY cheap and so I bought that for Moses (my grease ball) and that works pretty well on him, but not as well as the daily clarifying one. However, he secretly told me he prefers me to use that before he goes on a date because it makes him "smell like a man" - just kidding. Once my mom had a fit because she saw that in the shower ( I am 30 years old, and had been steadily dating someone). And then ended up getting questioned beyind belief about the men's shower gel, which was for the bald cat!!!!

Anyway, long story short, I mostly use that, but will use dishwashing liquid if I need to. My Fluffy crawls in the shower with me frequently and she is a dainy, clean little thing so I lather her up with whatever is in there and then use conditioner on her to make her small good, since she usually sleeps on my head...:Hysterical::LOL::Angry:

Jen