Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Shampoo Question

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi,

This is my 1st Sphynx; he is great! But I read so many conflicting things on what to bathe him with. What is the best type of shampoo to bathe him with?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I use baby shampoo, it is very mild and does not irritate the skin. I was using top paw cat shampoo but it seemed to be giving one of my cats a rash, I changed a few month ago to the baby shampoo and problem solved plus they smell just like a baby!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a tearless kitten shampoo... I was just worried about skin dicoloration from saliva from him grooming himself... what he grooms is beyond me but he likes to do it! LOL!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Yes my male grooms himself all day but my female could care less. I have never herd of saliva changing skin color? I know that the oil they have in their skin makes them look darker but after a quick bath it goes away.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes saliva, tears all of those fluids will discolor skin & fur. It doesn't cause any health issues it just turns it a brown rusty color. My husband wanted a cat after seeing a few at the local shelters... I've never owned a cat (my father hated them)so I've always had dogs and once I became a Vet Tech long ago I found that I liked cats & these guys always intrigued me because of the way people described their personalities...I love him to death... he acts like a dog though!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I use soap actually. When my little buddy get's dirty he reminds me of a person's foot that likes to walk around with no socks on. I think we've all seen the dirty foot. ButterBall's momma sent a care package with soap from http://www.littlenudedudes.com/ It works great. He cleans up rather well with it. For his next bath though I'm working on some kitty armor to cover my arms, shoulders and back.

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the input.... he is my first cat ever! My dad hated cats when I was younger so we never had one... lots of dogs & I still have 3 dogs too! He fits in perfectly with them though, we haven't even had him a month yet & all 4 are inseparable!

AngelSphynx

Lairian
I use soap actually. When my little buddy get's dirty he reminds me of a person's foot that likes to walk around with no socks on. I think we've all seen the dirty foot. ButterBall's momma sent a care package with soap from http://www.littlenudedudes.com/ It works great. He cleans up rather well with it. For his next bath though I'm working on some kitty armor to cover my arms, shoulders and back.

I know this is an old topic but those soaps are great. I highly recommend them. I use LND's soaps and baby shampoo.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@DiegoKitty my crew hates water too. I tried several things to let them get used to water/bathing but they still hate it. So I learned to be fast and use as little water as possible. I fill a big bowl with water, put that one in the bath. I wet a wash cloth and put shampoo on it. Then I take one sphynx too the bathroom. I'll shampoo him/her with the wash cloth and then I put him in the bath, rinse the shampoo with the water out of the bowl while holding my cat firmly. I wear the exfoliating gloves to have a better grip on my cats.

Good luck! Hope you'll find a routine that works well for Mao.

Natasja

Back