Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Shampoo

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've been using dish soap on animals for years, like dawn, palmolive etc. That is assuming they have no skin problems that require a medicated shampoo.

For my sphynx I use mostly baby shampoo but dish soap if I cant find the baby stuff. Works great, no problems, cuts through the skin oils but doesnt dry out the skin.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
Great - I used Method baby shampoo last night because it smells so good and she really needed a bath and didn't have anything else. I figured if it was safe for my baby it would be safe for the cat :)I used to use baby shampoo on the orphaned kittens I raised. Do you think it would be ok to use baby wipes to clean the ears and tail etc between baths?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I use Burt's Bees when I bathe the sphynx.
I also have used Aveeno with Oatmeal and Baby Shampoo.
I use make up remover wipes or baby wipes in between baths.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian

I use Burt's Bees when I bathe the sphynx.
I also have used Aveeno with Oatmeal and Baby Shampoo.
I use make up remover wipes or baby wipes in between baths.

LOVE the baby whips - That's what I use between baths, too! What I use depends on the cat, Oogie gets really dirty really fast, so I tend to use Dawn dish soap on him, seems to keep him clean a LITTLE longer then others I've tried LOL He's just a dirty boy! Osiris I'm still working on clearing up a few black heads and minor skin problems he had when I rescued him just a few weeks ago, so for now I'm using a medicated shampoo on him. Haley it's usually baby shampoo or Aveeno. I love the way the Aveeno makes her smell!!!!!!

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I go through so many baby wipes its not funny......In fact........Nofuratu has been asking santa for a baby wipe warmer since last year!!! I have to get him one because he hates cold baby wipes and Im tired of holding them in my hands to warm them up.

Dont know if you allready know about the coconut oil. You can get it at the grocery store or health food place. Comes in a jar. Great for putting on dirty nose and butt...helps work off the dirt without having to rub the skin raw! Nofur gets a terrible dirty nose that I couldnt keep clean til I found the coconut oil. Now I have a little lip balm container that I refill with coconut oil for when we're travelling

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Because Mug-Y was an abused rescue cat he won't let me bath him...it's waaaaay too much of a struggle and too distressing for both of us so unscented baby wipes have become the way forward - guess I'm just lucky he's not a dirty cat otherwise I don't know what I'd do!!:Dizzy:

X

PitRottMommy

Banned
Great - I used Method baby shampoo last night because it smells so good and she really needed a bath and didn't have anything else. I figured if it was safe for my baby it would be safe for the cat :)I used to use baby shampoo on the orphaned kittens I raised. Do you think it would be ok to use baby wipes to clean the ears and tail etc between baths?

I also highly recommend Dawn. Just make sure to get the "regular" kind instead of that with bleach. There are also some that come in fragrances you can try, but some animals break out from this...so be on the lookout for dermal changes if you elect to try something with fragrance.

In regards to your question, baby wipes work just fine on sphynx. Make sure they're not too moist, however, as the taste of the wipe can make cats froth at the mouth. Aim to have a dry kitty before releasing them to "reclean" themselves.

hfwebb

Lairian
I have been using Dr Bronners Lavender liquid soap. I have also used the almond soap. Gets them clean and smells good.
INGREDIENTS: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut*, Organic Palm* and Organic Olive* Oils (w/Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Essential Oils**, Citric Acid, Vitamin E

Lulu Bird

Lairian
Ok I always thought the coconut oil was just to keep them from getting dry skin but it actually helps clean them? Neat - I bet it smells great. I will have to go pick some up. I don't think Peaches is especially happy about taking a bath but she let me do it twice. The first time I only got her back so I had to do another quick dip to clean her belly and pits. Now she's feeling soft as velvet!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie uses Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo & Coconut oil and we use unscented baby wipes between baths for touch ups or butt cleanings. No problems at all with either.

Brooke

Banned
I have been using Dr Bronners Lavender liquid soap. I have also used the almond soap. Gets them clean and smells good.
INGREDIENTS: Water, Saponified Organic Coconut*, Organic Palm* and Organic Olive* Oils (w/Retained Glycerin), Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Essential Oils**, Citric Acid, Vitamin E

I've heard really good things about this brand. Does it list which essential oils are included? Some are highly toxic to cats...

Hi everyone.

I just found this website and it is so nice to be amongst other sphynx owners! I would really like to know your perspective of your cat's filthiness so I know that I am not the only one!!

I have had 2 Sphynx's. I adopted Yum, when she was 7 and had her until she died at 13. She died last year and I adopted a kitten, Maisy.

Yum was dirty, needed a bath and ear cleaning about once every 2 weeks. However, MAISY is a different story. One day after her bath, she starts to get a bit dirty under her neck and on her belly. Plus, I start to see the wax in her ears. She needs a bath at least twice a week. After a few days, her skin feels oily or clammy. It is really gross! Is she the only one that is THIS dirty?! LOL! I am hoping that she grows out of it a bit, as Yum was never this bad! Also, she HATES to be bathed! Is she the ONLY cat that puts up a fierce struggle? She literally flies out of my arms when we are in the tub, she attaches herself to the shower curtain and clings to it. (She has already broken one rod)!

Please, let me know that I am not alone! :) I know that a lot of people use baby wipes, which is a possible solution. However, since her nails, ears, and body gets so dirty, I would prefer to give her a full bath.

Thanks everyone!

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
I've been using Castlebath's "Anna" line for my furry kitties. Their shampoo rinses pretty easily and seems to rinse clean. It did a better job degreasing my Calico DSH than any other shampoo I've tried or even Dawn. The scent is nice, not strong at all. They make a conditioner too but I haven't really used it correctly. I can't exactly ask my girls to chill out for a few minutes while I work in the conditioner and rinse again. I'm lucky I get the bath done.

I'm definitely going to try the shampoo on my Sphynx kitten but probably not the conditioner. They make a Face Wash that I use to remove tear stains and the little dirt boogies my flat faced Exotics get from the litter. I wonder if I could use the Face Wash around the Sphynx toes? My coworkers kitty gets the little cruddies at the base of the nails but isn't too dirty otherwise. My kitten might be a half sister (same Dad) so hopefully she won't be excessively greasy either.

Treespirit

Lairian
I've been using dish soap on animals for years, like dawn, palmolive etc. That is assuming they have no skin problems that require a medicated shampoo.

For my sphynx I use mostly baby shampoo but dish soap if I cant find the baby stuff. Works great, no problems, cuts through the skin oils but doesnt dry out the skin.

Dawn works amazingly! (Though I've never used it on a Sphynx before) It really cuts through grease and grime. And it's got to be safe because that's what they use to clean up the poor animals affected by oil spills.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone.

I just found this website and it is so nice to be amongst other sphynx owners! I would really like to know your perspective of your cat's filthiness so I know that I am not the only one!!

I have had 2 Sphynx's. I adopted Yum, when she was 7 and had her until she died at 13. She died last year and I adopted a kitten, Maisy.

Yum was dirty, needed a bath and ear cleaning about once every 2 weeks. However, MAISY is a different story. One day after her bath, she starts to get a bit dirty under her neck and on her belly. Plus, I start to see the wax in her ears. She needs a bath at least twice a week. After a few days, her skin feels oily or clammy. It is really gross! Is she the only one that is THIS dirty?! LOL! I am hoping that she grows out of it a bit, as Yum was never this bad! Also, she HATES to be bathed! Is she the ONLY cat that puts up a fierce struggle? She literally flies out of my arms when we are in the tub, she attaches herself to the shower curtain and clings to it. (She has already broken one rod)!

Please, let me know that I am not alone! :) I know that a lot of people use baby wipes, which is a possible solution. However, since her nails, ears, and body gets so dirty, I would prefer to give her a full bath.

Thanks everyone!

I think our Leo has more dirt and oil then any other sphynx:Surprise:
I use j&j baby shampoo and he is fine for like 2 days. I use baby wipes on his nails before I put him in the tub because I get in under the base of nail good. he does fine in the bath but our Athena just hates it, some times she is better then others but never very happy come bath time.

susi794

Staff member
My cats--most of them anyway--are always filthy. It makes me feel like such a grub! How can they
ALWAYS be so filthy unless I am a horrible housekeeper? Some of mine tolerate the bath pretty well, but some tear the hide right off my arms/neck/face--anything within claw range. I used to use J&J baby wash, but now I use a combination of that and Dawn. I'm afraid to get the Dawn too close to their eyes, as it isn't no sting. So I use baby wash on faces and Dawn on bodies. I've tried using the baby wipes on Boo between baths, and they give him contact dermatitis--needed to take him to the vet for a shot for it. I do use wipes on their toes to get the wax. I also use coconut oil to loosen the really bad dirt on the Mabel--it seems like the blue cats are harder to get clean...and seem pretty dry--without the coconut oil I could never seem to get Mabel clean.

for_serious

Lairian
Hi everyone.

Thanks everyone!

I found my kitten getting dirty really fast, but I figured out that it was the litter I was purchasing. I found a system that works. Lathering up the cloth with soap and washing my kitten down outside of the bath FIRST to get all the dirt and then putting him in the bath that has a little bit of water in it to rinse. He HATES being put in the water and scrubbed, would fight tooth an nail. He doesn't even fuss much with this method.

J

Jinxlover

I use a mitt..It's scratchy and boo hates it, but with it I can give her a bath every week. If I don't use it, I have to wash her every 3days:Surprise:.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
Thanks everyone for recommending Dawn. It seems to keep this girl clean longer than baby shampoo. Brandee - my girl gets dirty after a few days on her belly, neck and her back legs. I have tried to wipe her down with baby wipes but she doesn't like it very much it makes her :Angry: I have read from other members here that kittens grow out of that. So I am sure it will be true for your little one as well.

I am going to true a mitt next! Thanks for the idea.

Lulu Bird

Lairian
I mix Johnson's shampoo (or whatever I am using :Sweat:) with some safflower oil when I bathe Sati. I just mix it up in a cup first.

It seems to help get the grime off her better than just shampoo alone.

Ooh that's a good idea! People have told me about coconut oil but not safflower oil... good thinkin. I might have to try that! Thanks!:BigSmile:

Back