Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Shampoo

PitRottMommy

Banned
We use regular Dawn dish soap. Because it's degreasing, it gets them cleaner than any other shampoo I've found (and that's saying something considering we employ a groomer).

Brooke

Banned
I've been using J&J Baby Shampoo, which has worked great on everybody until Mr. Nelson the Pig-Pen moved in. I swear he's turning black again before I've got him totally dried off. I think I'll try the Dawn next time and see if he can stay clean for more than 10 seconds...

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I use Baby Powder Cat & Kitten Shampoo from the Dungeness Ranch Pet Resort. It's about $8.00 a bottle, and works great, and is Hypoallergenic, and mild!!!! Plus he smells really good when he's clean :D They are in Sequim, WA. Here is thier website--> www.dungenessranchpetresort.com I use the Coconut oil when he's done being bathed, but it definately helps keep dirt off! It also help to promote him to clean his own dirty self! Kreacher has quite an amazing ability to get dirty, and this shampoo is GREAT!

I put the Coconut oil on his butt, a little on his nose (basically whever you notice dirt sticks to him/her more), and I lather a little bit in my hands, and give his skin a rub down. This helps with thier dry skin :)

PitRottMommy

Banned
I've been using J&J Baby Shampoo, which has worked great on everybody until Mr. Nelson the Pig-Pen moved in. I swear he's turning black again before I've got him totally dried off. I think I'll try the Dawn next time and see if he can stay clean for more than 10 seconds...

We bathed the cats this past weekend. It's been exactly 3 weeks since their last bath. Buck was the most obviously dirty since he's the lightest and he really wasn't that bad. Jason cleaned the window sills about 3 weeks ago and they're still clean :)

Brooke

Banned
We bathed the cats this past weekend. It's been exactly 3 weeks since their last bath. Buck was the most obviously dirty since he's the lightest and he really wasn't that bad. Jason cleaned the window sills about 3 weeks ago and they're still clean :)

Sold! I'm definitely gonna try the Dawn. Nelson left a ring around the tub last time I gave him a bath.

I wish they could all be like Helen - she doesn't require baths at all, her ears never, EVER, get wax in them and her teeth are bright white. She's a freak of sphynx nature. I gave her a bath the day I brought her home and her skin got so dry and flaked off so I haven't given her a bath since, and she hasn't needed one! I just rub her down with bath oil every couple of weeks and she stays nice and clean, even with her light pink skin.:ThumbsUp: Sometimes she smells like instant mashed potatoes, though.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

The window sills:Angry: that drives me nuts they are always Dirty well Sphyx Dirty, so ok I have to ask how the heck did you get Jason to clean the window sills, or just to clean?

PitRottMommy

Banned
The window sills:Angry: that drives me nuts they are always Dirty well Sphyx Dirty, so ok I have to ask how the heck did you get Jason to clean the window sills, or just to clean?

I'll be honest. He cleans more than I do. I made it very clear when he moved in with me that he would do half of the chores. And even though we're living on shared finances now instead of me paying for everything, he still picks up the slack I don't have time (or energy for). I'm in charge of most of the animal stuff, he does most of the rest of everything else.

I do dishes (usually), he does laundry, picks up and vacuums. I feed the cats, he feels the dogs, does the lawns. I cook and clean cat boxes, he folds laundry. To be honest, he does more than I do most days. But I also work more hours than he does, despite the fact that he makes more money hourly than I do. It evens out, practically. He's an asset to keeping our house going. Our "cleaning" is generally 15 minutes of getting things reorganized and vacuuming. He's a very clean guy, even takes his dishes to the kitchen.

PitRottMommy

Banned
PitRottMommy, Can I borrow him once a week?

Yeah, Tuesdays are pretty good days for me. You're responsible for all shipping charges incurred, though. BTW, he doesn't do windows...and he frequently walks around in only his underwear. Aside from that, totally free work ;)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My Cleo is so oily compared to other sphynx.
She even gets oily between rings and I have to clean her.

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
when its time to feed all 5 cats i just yell "Cats Food!" and they all come running so they come to whatever i call them i guess :Laugh:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Piglet has such good skin (like Brooke's Helen), I don't have to worry too much about what to bathe her with, but I do like the organic EarthBath shampoos and grooming products that are available at PetCo. For the sphynx cats that have sensitive skin or are prone to rashes, the Earthbath Hypo-Allergenic Totally Natural Pet Shampoo is awesome and only $9.99 for a 16 oz bottle:

http://www.petco.com/product/109173...aspx?CoreCat=IO-_-ProductDetail_4-_-Earthbath

Earthbath even has All Natural Bathing Wipes that are great to use in between baths:

http://www.petco.com/product/100602/Earthbath-All-Natural-Grooming-Wipes.aspx

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I picked Newman last weekend his breeder gave me a bottle of shampoo that she swears by (she used to use J & J ) ... we always used J & J baby shampoo but Kramer would still get a little irritated from it; but it was the least irritating out of all that we tried. I bathed them yesterday & no bumps no red spots no nothing... the stuff is called SPA Lavish Pet Comfort, made by Tropiclean. WWW.tropiclean.net SMELLS GOOD TOO!

BabyisHerName

Lairian
I just washed my Sphynz and I used Johnson & johnson "no tears" basically the same stuff that our parents used on our baby butts when we where little. She seemed to not mind it....The only thing I noticed is that her skin felt a bit slimy and rubbery after the bath.....I dont even wanna think about what its gonna be like trimming her nails when she gets older :Hysterical:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I just washed my Sphynz and I used Johnson & johnson "no tears" basically the same stuff that our parents used on our baby butts when we where little. She seemed to not mind it....The only thing I noticed is that her skin felt a bit slimy and rubbery after the bath.....I dont even wanna think about what its gonna be like trimming her nails when she gets older :Hysterical:

Just A heads up, you should start trimming her nail now. If you wait till she is older chances are she will not like it very much!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Even of they don't need to be trimmed mess with her feet so she gets used to them being touched.

Back