Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

She stopped eating her food! HELP

QueenPeach

Lairian
Hello dear Sphynx Lair community,

We picked Peachie from a breeder 8 months ago and been feeding her raw food that the breeder recommended. It is a blend of Chicken, Beef, and Salmon. She used to love it and ate 3 full burger patties a day. Sometimes she would leave a tiny bit and would finish when we sprinkle dry chicken on top.

Starting yesterday she is refusing to eat her raw meals. She comes to the bowl looks at it and immediately turns away. Even adding freeze-dried chicken doesn't help she still walks away. We started adding clickable Churu in her food multiple times and only then she will eat it. What do we do? I don't know of constantly adding treats to her food is sustainable/good for her. She still likes her kibbles but I am afraid it is not nutritious enough for her.

Should we switch her food? If so are there any recommendations for raw food in USA?

Please help!

Many thanks!

Anna and Peachie
FD4F29D7-133A-4D23-BAED-51F22DEE6CF6.JPG

Yoda mom

Staff member
@QueenPeach , you are welcome, sorry I don't have an answer to raw feeding ( my crew of 4 ages 8-11 yrs old on kibble and wet) ,so tagged some of the pros. there are other members too that can chime in experience with raw feeding. your baby is darling

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They get bored of the same thing all the time. I wouldn't stop feeding her raw; I would just give her a different flavor for a while. You could even keep the same things you're using now but break them up so for example you could have a meal that's chicken and salmon and another one that's beef and salmon.

If you want to try something different, I would like to put in a good word for pork. I used to never want to feed raw pork because it can have a disease called trichinosis, but I started buying pork and cooking it. That gets rid of trichinosis and everything else that can be bad . The great thing about pork is the cats love it. Not only that but pork costs me less than chicken - I can't complain about that.

For recipes I've been referring people to petdiets.com. This is a service run by veterinary nutritionists and the provide BALANCED recipes for a reasonable price. If you buy one recipe it's $25. If you buy a second recipe it's only $12. It's a no brainer. The only catch is these are recipes for cats that are healthy. Cats that have any underlying condition need a custom recipe (which costs a lot more).

www.petdiets.com/Homemade-Diets

PS - they advocate for cooking the food. However, I feed some meats raw. What's important to know is that if you are going to feed the meat raw it must be fresh. With cooked meat you have more leeway. So for example, if I see some meat on sale at the grocery store because it's about to expire - no problem if I'm going to cook it but there's no way I could feed it raw.

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
They go off their food if they are ill and need to eat something asap as they lose weight fast. I'd go to the vet. Try tuna to at least get some food in.

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with the previous mentioning that she's probably bored of that variety. Try to rotate in different proteins and see how she responds! Mine get bored of the same ones too so I constantly am rotating what I'm offering. Their favorite is kangaroo and turkey at my house (not mixed, two separate meals).

Sheldon13

Staff member
I agree. Variety is important. I will also say though, that I have noticed that both of my kitty’s hunger drives have dropped since the heat has been going up this summer. That’s normal too. As long as they eat some it’s OK for the intake to decrease for a little bit. But yeah, try offering 3-4 different raw foods.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

QueenPeach

Lairian
They get bored of the same thing all the time. I wouldn't stop feeding her raw; I would just give her a different flavor for a while. You could even keep the same things you're using now but break them up so for example you could have a meal that's chicken and salmon and another one that's beef and salmon.

If you want to try something different, I would like to put in a good word for pork. I used to never want to feed raw pork because it can have a disease called trichinosis, but I started buying pork and cooking it. That gets rid of trichinosis and everything else that can be bad . The great thing about pork is the cats love it. Not only that but pork costs me less than chicken - I can't complain about that.

For recipes I've been referring people to petdiets.com. This is a service run by veterinary nutritionists and the provide BALANCED recipes for a reasonable price. If you buy one recipe it's $25. If you buy a second recipe it's only $12. It's a no brainer. The only catch is these are recipes for cats that are healthy. Cats that have any underlying condition need a custom recipe (which costs a lot more).

www.petdiets.com/Homemade-Diets

PS - they advocate for cooking the food. However, I feed some meats raw. What's important to know is that if you are going to feed the meat raw it must be fresh. With cooked meat you have more leeway. So for example, if I see some meat on sale at the grocery store because it's about to expire - no problem if I'm going to cook it but there's no way I could feed it raw.
Thank you for the tips! We get our raw recipe from a company called RawRaw here in California. I had no idea that they get bored of the foods. For now, we started adding a little canned food into her raw, and she started eating it again. We are going to switch it up for her and try some turkey.

QueenPeach

Lairian
I agree. Variety is important. I will also say though, that I have noticed that both of my kitty’s hunger drives have dropped since the heat has been going up this summer. That’s normal too. As long as they eat some it’s OK for the intake to decrease for a little bit. But yeah, try offering 3-4 different raw foods.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need
Thank you so much! we started adding a little canned food into her raw, and she started eating it again. We will try new raw food once this batch runs out.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Awesome. Sounds like she’s intrigued with new flavors!!
Yep. Variety is the spice of life they say. Those mixes that have a little of everything are also not good if you have a cat that has an allergy to one thing because the entire food is out.

@QueenPeach the good news is you can save this food for later and just get something different for a while. Or do one in the morning and one at night. Just a little variety.

NoriMama

Lairian
Have you tried dehydrated ? Stella and chewy seems to be working for us. And they have many flavors so you can always change. It’s expensive tho :/. Someone linked another dehydrated raw brand here I’m going to try next. Bit less costly

Back