Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

She's home AND she has a name!!!!!!

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
First off, there isn't really all that much of a "story". Everything went very smoothly and was pretty straightforward. I got in the car, I drove to the border, I crossed the border, I drove 4 hours to the airport, I got her and I went home without any incident. I think I got maybe 2 hours of sleep 'cause I had a lot of emotions the night before. I was so excited to see her, I was hoping that she wouldn't be overly stressed out and scared and I worried that she might not come due to the cold in Seattle. My boys' breeder shipped in a male from Russia the night before baby girl came and he ended up not coming as it was too cold in Vancouver, so I was thinking what if she can't get shipped out, then what? I was also trying to think of a name and everything I came up with just didn't feel right or sound right. As I said, the drive down to Seattle was pretty uneventful, so I can tell too much about that other than I was so glad it didn't snow until I got home! My cousin, Denice, and I talked about names off and on the entire 4 hours, but still no name for her, other than baby girl.

Needless to say she did arrive safe and sound. We made it back to my car as quickly as possible to get her inside and get the heater on for her and get her out of the kennel. She is very, very friendly and purrs a lot! She rode in Aunty Denice's arms all the way back, purring off and on, she really seemed to enjoy the ride and was very calm; actually she slept most of the way.

picture.php

When we got to the border crossing, I was fully expecting to pay my 12% in taxes for her. When the officer asked what my purpose was, I told him that I went to Seattle to pick up a kitten. He looked in the car from his booth and this is how the conversation went:

What *IS* that?....Is THAT the kitten?! :Surprise: (I swear I saw the color drain out of his face at this point)
Yes
Is it ok? What's wrong with it?! :Dizzy:
She is a sphynx, it is a hairless cat...they are born that way. (Officer turns green!)
Oh. Do you have the rabies certificate?
I hand over her paperwork
My cousin says: do you wanna pet her?!?!
I say: she's so soft
Noooooooo, I'll take your word for it. You have a nice night and drive safe.
Thank you officer

I think he was a little afraid of her :LOL: It worked out great for me 'cause now I get to buy her and the rest of the brood more toys 'n' treats since I did not have to pay any duty!!!!

We didn't get home until around 11pm, but at least we were home, safe and sound! I put her kennel in a quiet spot in the house and let her come out on her own and she did very well. She wasn't afraid of the dogs and was very curious. Orion and her seem to be friends already, Dexter is indifferent (as usual) and Rupert, for some reason, is not liking her at all right now. Lots of growling, hissing and arching. Hopefully it won't last long. Rupert was initially like this when he first met the dogs and now he sleeps with them.

Not much has happened her first day home. She has slept most of the day, getting up every few hours to come and visit everyone in the house, so there hasn't really been much in the way of picture variety. She is very talkative and will come if you call her and she is so affectionate. I don't think I have ever had a cat so affectionate and loving.

And to top it off, she has a name!!!! As I was paying for the airport parking, I noticed the cashier's name and I just knew that was her name. I liked the way it sounded and for some reason when I look at her, it just seems to fit.

Everyone, meet Priscilla :Adore:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Inferno12

Banned
She is sooo beautiful! Im in love and I think she looks so much like my Johnny. Congrats and im glad she is fitting in with almost everyone. Johnny doesnt play well with other and it took him 2 weeks to finally accept Diego and now they are best buds.

BTW...Im in love with her :Adore::Adore::Adore:

Bella07

Banned
(Squueeeee!) Priscilla is gorgeous! Anvsolutely gorgeous! I am in love with her markings and her eyes. You must know that I am incredibly jealous of you right now! :Wink:
I am so glad that you and Priscilla are home safe and sound. And the fact that the guard was scared of your sweet baby girl, was really beneficial to you in the end!
Enjoy and give Priscilla lots of kisses and cuddles from me :Adore:

Gizzymom

Banned
Priscilla is beautiful!!!! And Priscilla was the name of the first cat we had when I was a kid!!! So that name has a soft spot in my heart!!

Glad everything went so well!! And if the one picture of her and Orion?? Are they sort of buddies at least?

Congrats, NightSpidy!!! :ThumbsUp:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have been waiting for this post-YEAH!!! I love the customs story but I especially love how you got her name-it is pretty close to how we got Nudie's name. Priscilla is a perfect name for a perfect girl:BigSmile: I'm sure all will go well with the integrating of the animals. Thank you for posting all those pics- you know us lair members can never get enough sphynx:LOL: Ok I'm off to get things ready for my new baby coming tonight:BigSmile::BigSmile:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
She is pretty and I am glad she is home safe.
I was scared Kona would not come because Cleo was called off 2 times 2 years ago because it was was to cold on the breeders side.
Well this time we were in the 20's but it was in the 40's when she got here.
Isnt it nice when everything goes well.
Sphynxie gets her sphynx tonight.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Priscilla is beautiful!!!! And Priscilla was the name of the first cat we had when I was a kid!!! So that name has a soft spot in my heart!!

Glad everything went so well!! And if the one picture of her and Orion?? Are they sort of buddies at least?

Congrats, NightSpidy!!! :ThumbsUp:

Awwww, that's neat that your first cat was named Priscilla. :Adore: My mom really likes the name as she is a huge Elvis fan. Funny she never mentioned "Priscilla" when I told her I didn't have a name yet, but when I told her she said it was perfect for the little beauty. Her and Orion are sorta buddies. I've noticed that she will allow him to sit with her when SHE feels like it. Dex can get up close with her, and she has approached Rupert, but he wants nothing to do with her right now. As for the dogs, she couldn't care less, I think she figures they are hairy cats. :LOL: I think it'll be ok in about 2 weeks or so. I've also noticed she has been sneezing a bit, so I don't think she's feeling 100% either right now and is pro'lly a little cranky. Plus, new place and all.

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She`s gorgeous, I love the nose ! The story about customs was really funny, especially the Is it ok? What's wrong with it?! question :Woo:

Yes, it was so funny. He looked horrified but still trying to maintain a manly composure. He sat back from the window :LOL: I take it he had never seen one up until that point and likely didn't know they even existed? :LOL: Denice and I laughed all the way home. :Hysterical:

NightSpidy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have been waiting for this post-YEAH!!! I love the customs story but I especially love how you got her name-it is pretty close to how we got Nudie's name. Priscilla is a perfect name for a perfect girl:BigSmile: I'm sure all will go well with the integrating of the animals. Thank you for posting all those pics- you know us lair members can never get enough sphynx:LOL: Ok I'm off to get things ready for my new baby coming tonight:BigSmile::BigSmile:

I'll never forget how I got her name. I remember throwing ideas out the whole drive and panicing that she didn't have a name yet, as I am the person that names my pet immediately. The lady at the toll booth was so polite, kind and friendly and I just got a really good vibe off her....it was like a "sign" or something. It seemed right and once I looked at her and said it out loud and she looked at me, I knew that was it.

***squee*** pics and story of your baby!!!! So exciting :Laugh:

JacksMom

Banned
Wow! How awesome and she is soooooo pretty! I can't tell you how many times I looked at the website and would just stare at her :Adore::Adore:....if only I were ready for a second, but then again, you wouldn't have your "baby girl." All in all, it was exactly the way it was meant to be! Give her hugs, squishes, and kisses from her Auntie Kyleen and "brother" Jack!

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
The name, Priscilla is lovely, it remainds me of an australian movie, the Adventures of Priscilla, the Queen of the Desert, about a group of drag queens travelling through the continent, I loved the colorful dresses they were wearing in the movie, and sphynxes are a bit like them - soooo completely different from the feline world.

Back