Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Shiva's has major surgery on Tuesday 1/4

kaoticharmony

Banned
Well I got a little sleep... maybe 2 or 3 hours. When I woke up I saw something that made my day. Shiva (bandaged leg and all) had managed to climb up to his favorite high spot!!! He hasn't done any climbing for several weeks. I gave him one of his favorite treats (a small bowl of fat free milk).

He's starting to chew better too. We had cheese puffs this morning. I think today I'll start cutting back on his morphine. The vet said I know him and to use my judgement. Maybe by Monday he'll be off it.

Looks like today will be a good day!

This is the first picture we saw of Shiva.

Gizzymom

Banned
Well I got a little sleep... maybe 2 or 3 hours. When I woke up I saw something that made my day. Shiva (bandaged leg and all) had managed to climb up to his favorite high spot!!! He hasn't done any climbing for several weeks. I gave him one of his favorite treats (a small bowl of fat free milk).

He's starting to chew better too. We had cheese puffs this morning. I think today I'll start cutting back on his morphine. The vet said I know him and to use my judgement. Maybe by Monday he'll be off it.

Looks like today will be a good day!

This is the first picture we saw of Shiva.

Way to go, Shiva!!!

Would love to see new pics when he is up to posing :Wink:

kaoticharmony

Banned
He's back up in his high spot. This time I watched him climb and he used his hurt foot to pull himself up. Either he's getting better or the drugs are better than I expect.

highplace.jpg

kaoticharmony

Banned
He's trying hard... He just did a very ungraceful jump down. He did well until he got to his low (2.5 feet maybe) jumping down place. I'm glad he's smart enough to learn his limits. He's heading back to my bed...did I say my? I mean OUR bed...

It's so funny to look at them... It looks like I have a pet cat head with 2 extra right ears. That's all thats sticking out of the blankets... oh and a tail. Neon always leaves his tail out.

kaoticharmony

Banned
Aren't they a cute bunch? I just took this a few minutes ago.... had to share.

cuddlykitties.jpg

Shiva Dancing Neon & Venus (my babies) Kuma-Neko (she's 18 and doing great)

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Aren't they a cute bunch? I just took this a few minutes ago.... had to share.

cuddlykitties.jpg

Shiva Dancing Neon & Venus (my babies) Kuma-Neko (she's 18 and doing great)

:ThumbsUp::ThumbsUp: <3 I am so glad Shiva is doing well. I love Shiva! He is awsome! Your awsome too <3 You know what Sphynx Lair is awsome...anywho:Smile: I am so glad you and your baby are doing well!:ThumbsUp:

kaoticharmony

Banned
Shiva's appointment is in about an hour so it's time to start getting the two of us ready. I will let you know how he does as soon as I can get on line. I might have company when we get home... It all depends on how long his appointment is. So don't worry if you don't see my post for a bit. I know the lady who is taking me has "pool practice" tonight so it shouldn't be too late.

He seems to be doing real good. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and hope I'm right.

kaoticharmony

Banned
Sorry to post so late it’s been a not so good day. I don’t want to say it was a bad day because I really don’t know. I’m just having trouble dealing with everything. My vet wasn’t in today but I didn’t like the reaction of the other vet in regards to Shiva’s progress. The vet and the nurse both stressed that they didn’t know how it looked when Dr Stevenson saw it last, but as far as they are concerned it’s doing real bad.

They said there should be signs of new tissue forming and there isn’t. It could relate to the diabetes. Diabetics are known to heal slowly. Although his cyst is healing well. They want me to change the bandage twice a day and to take photos of his progress. I’m also saving the discarded bandages so the vet can examine them. We will see him on Monday. By Monday Shiva is going to be so mad at me. He really doesn’t like his foot bandaged. Although I think the way I do it is more comfortable for him.

I think one thing that is a problem is it needs air. Does anyone have any thoughts? I thought maybe some kind of soft ball thing with holes. I can wrap it with a tube bandage to keep litter out. The bandage they removed was very thick. A layer of cotton followed by rubbery elastic tape. Right now he has a pad wrapped with gauze and more gauze and tape. A tube like object or a cone might even work,. I’ve heard them say repeatedly that it needs air and to be dry.

I watch Shiva and he seems so much be better,he’s climbing and he came downstairs and visited tonight. I saw his foot and I agree it doesn’t look better, but it smells better. He doesn’t have a fever. He’s eating and drinking. He’s being social and bathing the kids. He’s acting better, much more like himself.

I want to cry but I can’t do that to Shiva. I’ve been numb all night trying to not think about it. I painted that little Sphynx that I made, I also painted a winged, fishtailed cat that I made and a regular winged cat, I worked on a sculpey skull for my neighbor,cleaned, did laundry,. Taught my brother how to make tapioca.

Well it’s time, I have to go change his bandage and look at his foot. At least this will be a quick one. I don’t have to soak it right now,just change it. I soak it in 12 hours.

He was angry with me, but I think my bandage feels better then the one they did.. I experimented abit and left the area over his incision with just a pad, 1 layer of gauze and his gauze sock. It shouldn’t get any litter in it and it get a little more air.

I’m hoping that over the next few days that I don’t run into any negative people. I am trying very hard to remain positive. I have to be positive. He is so strong and so full of life. I hope and pray it looks better by Monday or at least not any worse. I keep having to remind myself that he had been bandaged for 3 days straight. Of course it could look bad.

One good piece of news,. They sent samples in to ID the bacteria (or whatever it is) and all the results will be in on Monday. If I understood correctly that will tell them exactly what we are fighting and how to win the battle. They went ahead today and changed his antibiotics from Clindamycin to Clavamox. She said depending on the tests they might change it again on Monday.

From everything the vet had said last week I thought we had won and Shiva would be fine. I’m so scared, he has to be okay. Please Shiva you can do this.

I have no idea what's happening this weekend. I do plan on being on line. I'll try and take a few pics of the kitties that I mentioned. I have a little aluminum angel cat I'm making too.
I'm kinda hoping for company. It would be a nice distraction....lol... as you can see I guess I'm a mess. I just don't know what to do........................ Shiva just climbed up to his high spot again. Thank you Shiva... seeing him do that does give me hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

kaoticharmony

Banned
I just need to hear that... Being at the vet was awful. She even suggested that he might lose his entire foot. I just can't see it going that bad in 2 and a half days... He's acting so much better. Dr Stevenson said he got all the infection out.

When I looked at it last night I would say it's not worse than it was. It may be abit better...it's draining less.... it didn't bleed any. I mean if there is (or was) an infection doesn't he need to kinda shed the old tissue before the new really kicks in? If I had an infection and it was bandaged for a period of time I would expect to see my skin whitish in some areas...maybe peeling...not healthy looking for awhile...especially if it was still bandaged. I might be way off on this...because cats heal different than people. It just seems like with the major infection he had... for it to be bone deep... it's going to take more than a few days to show improvement.

I did notice that the tissue is strong. It's holding the stitches well. If it was worse I don't see how it could do that.

Maybe I'm just trying to make myself believe it because I want to.... I'll know more today when I change him. I'm just being a mom...I love my boy so much. Any ideas on a way of getting air to his toes.... lol... I just had this mental flash of Shiva with a fish pump straped to his back and a tube to his foot... no I won't go that far...

Thanks again for the good wishes... just keep telling me he'll be okay.

I'll keep you posted.

Back