Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Shiva's has major surgery on Tuesday 1/4

kaoticharmony

Banned
Tomorrow is the big day. I couldn't sleep last night. I did make a list of questions for the vet today. I'm waiting for them to call right now. Of course now I'm tired...lol!

So my list...Can you think of anything else?

Confirm NO Ketamin (what will be used)
Confirm NO Metacam (what will be used)
Do I give him his antibiotic in the morning
When should I give him his last dose of Morphine (should I note the time)
Only give him half (2 units) his insulin at his usual breakfast time (8am) but no food
Confirm he CAN have water until morning but no food after 8pm
Do I bring a blanket for him (confirmed a warm shirt already)
Do I bring some of his regular food
His surgery is around noon, what time can I check on him
What should I expect when I get him home
Will he have any special needs
When can he eat?
Do I give him dinner and his full dose (4 units) of insulin at his usual time (8pm)

He will be in surgery for quite awhile. The vet said removing the toe isn't that complicated. The problem is it's an inner toe and the bone above it is infected as well. He said if it had gone any further he would have had to refer me elsewhere.

He said I will be able to pick him up tonight.

I will be so glad when it's over with! So will Shiva... he's getting REALLY tired of the bandages. I can tell he's in pain... it makes me want to cry. I hate it when my babies don't feel well...but being in pain... my poor Shiva. I just keep telling myself it will be all over with soon and he'll be on the road to recovery.

kaoticharmony

Banned
Good Luck to him.
Your list is good.
When my cats had surgery they were only allowed to eat small amounts of food the first night.

That's why I'm asking. He is supposed to eat at least 1/2 can of food to have his entire dose of insulin. I'm thinking to cut his dose back to 2 units or maybe 3. He usually gets 4. It's better to under dose him than over dose him.

I wish they'd call...I really want to sleep. It's hard to sit here tired listening to Shiva snoring...lol!

kaoticharmony

Banned
Okay...I'm tired of waiting. I just called them and was told they will call later today. I went ahead and left my questions with the receptionist.

I'm going to try and get some sleep. Oh the snoring just stopped... Shiva is awake and says "Hi, PLEASE tell her to go to bed...she keeps adjusting my blanket and checking on me.....snnnnnnnoooorrrrreeeeeeeee"

He's asleep again. All cuddled in his "C Pillow" (my invention), next to Kuma, with Neon at his feet and me behind him.... we love our Shiva Dancing!

Will check back later

kaoticharmony

Banned

That does make it complicated.
I hope your vet calls soon.
My Wrinkles may have Diabetes now.
Her blood sugar is 163 and her bite from my boy took almost 2 months to heal.

Really watch her drinking habits. That was the first indicator with Shiva. I'm here if you need to talk. Shiva's been a diabetic for 6 years. Also if your cat developes any walking problem I managed to get Shiva's back legs functional again after my vet said he would always be that way. He walked on his knees...it was very sad. It's been 5 years and he is still walking fine!! Where there's a will there's a way.

Also don't feed Wrinkles semi-soft cat food or treats. They tend to have a higher sugar content.

163 isn't really that bad. Shiva averages in the mid 300s.

susi794

Staff member
I have worried and worried over Shiva for some unknown reason....I want him to be ok now. No more pain from infected toe and bone. Home with his mama and his siblings. Safe and sound and very, very loved. Am praying that all goes well for that sweet little guy. I would like to quit worrying...I've just felt so sorry he's had to wait and the sweet little thing needs to be ok now.
Please, please keep us posted.
Susi

kaoticharmony

Banned
Finally I spoke to the vet... YYAAAYYYYYY!!!!!

All my questions have been answered and I learned abit more about Metacam...
(My vet doesn't use it) They said when the drug first came out there was alot of excitment because it was the first anti-imflamatory (can't think of how to spell that right now...lol) that they had found that seemed safe to use on cats... then they found out it wasn't safe.

Shiva does get to drink until we leave because he isn't actually going into surgery until noonish.

They want him to have hardly any insulin 1/2 unit instead of 4

Oh here he comes...gotta run, bbl

Back