Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Shivering Sphynx?

withoutwingz

Lairian
My Annie is finally here! It's going well so far but she shakes or shivers. Is this normal? I thought maybe she was cold so I put a shirt on her bit she hated that. She's not fond of the dog either- do any of you have a Sphynx and a dog? Any tips? How long did the adjustment period last?

Also: she was already sitting/sleeping in my lap today. She cried when I went upstairs and then purred when she found me. I may be wrong, but I'm taking that as flattery! How does she know to sit in my lap as opposed to my husbands?
She is such a hoot. She likes the stick her toy is on more than the toy. Hasn't noticed our geckos at all. Already eating her food and using litter box. She fell asleep in my arms on the way home.
She is strong willed! If she doesn't want it to happen, boy howdy it better not! SUCH A LOVER!!! What a hidden gem these cats are.

Last edited:

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Congrats on the new kitty! Sounds like she will settle in fast. The shaking could be that she is still nervous, or I know when my girl purrs, she shakes.

Nefertari

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My kittens shake too when a loud noise scares them or yesterday they met my parents in law beagle...he barked after they hissed and then they trembled
They shake after a bath too cause they are scared and maybe cold - but i give them plenty of cuddles after to warm them up :Smile:

Alimoore

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congrats on your new baby! The shivering could be due to cold or scared. Buy a shirt for the kitt and see if that helps. Also the meowing is normal. They like to be near you all the time. My Akali is 2 and she still does that sometimes. So she will get better with that, but if you are upstairs for too long she will let you know that she is ready for you to come back down :LOL: good luck! Post pics soon!

Alimoore

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Also for how she knows to sit with you, is due to who cuddles her more and feeds her. I spend way more time with Akali than my Fiance, so she likes to spend way more time with me, though she still likes to sit with him occasionally, if I call her though, she comes.

2BaldBeauties

Lairian
I have two dogs and just added two sphynx kittens recently. The first day home there were a couple of hisses and the dogs were very excited. The kittens have been with us three weeks now and everyone is calmed down...I even catch the kittens and my dogs cuddling together around the house. I think they key was putting the dogs in a different room when they would get to excited so that the interactions between the kittens and dogs were calm. It did help that our breeder had a dog so the kittens were pretty much used to the idea of a dog I just had to get them used to my dogs. Basically the kittens didn't care about my dogs but my dogs were super interested and excited about the kittens so they were the ones who needed to be calmed down periodically. Good luck!

SealySphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have 4 small dogs and one Sphynx currently. When I first brought Sealy home, my dogs were super hyper which scared Sealy a bit. We got through it by having short sessions with all of them together. We also had Sealy sleep in the bathroom for the first couple days and they got to smell each other through the door (like how you're supposed to introduce cats). Another important thing is to have higher places for your kitty to escape to when they've had enough playtime with the dog(s). A cat tree and or cat shelves work great.

Eventually (within a week or so) everyone got used to each other. Sealy now sleeps in the dog beds as much as the dogs do. He plays with all of the dogs just like they were kitties. He even practices tackling with our tiny Chihuahua.

So yes, your Sphynx can and probably will get along with your dog. Just give them time to get used to each other and get settled in.

As for the shaking, maybe your kitten is cold. If you get a light tank top for your kitty and leave it on for short periods of time working up to longer periods of time, it will get used to wearing clothes. Just make sure it doesn't have long sleeves because most cats (even cats that are used to wearing clothes) don't like the sleeves.

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Congrats on your new baby!! :BigSmile: When we got Graddy and had been in our place for 5 minutes after exploring. He began shivering and I asked my husband what that was about and he said maybe he is scared or something. Turns out he was tired and didn't know where to sleep. All I did was take him and put him in my t-shirt and he slept. :Woo: Now he doesn't stop asking to go in there when he is tired. A bit awkward as he is fully grown now. :LOL: Your baby is probably just nervous and figuring things out. Once she's well accustomed to your place she will show that she really is the queen there. Probably helps to cover her whenever she shivers though. To give her some reassurance.

withoutwingz

Lairian
(sorry for the delayed reply....)

Thanks do much for the info! I just wanted to make sure she was ok. I will post pics when I get around to being on my computer (my stinking iPad won't upload pics)

Dog and cat are able to be near each other already so thats a good sign. We had baby gate up to separate them and we got her a cat tree before she even got here :)
She is such a doll!!

Stitch

Lairian
My boy is 14 weeks, and he shivers I'm not quit shore why as he didn't look scared, I just put him in my dressing gown and cuddle him :) when I got him he was just on dry food, I have since put him on the raw meat diet and he scoffs it down but I'v noticed he shivers after. Anyone else's kitty do this?

MrFluffyBoy

Lairian
Fluff does this when I'm getting his food ready. I think it's because he's extremely happy! It's like a shiver of excitement!! Lol

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Stitch this is an very old thread so probably the ones who started this threas won't respond.
I know more sphynxes shiver while eating or after eating. Sometimes it's because the food is still a bit cold (with raw food out of fridge). Or because they're heating themselves up cause it costs energy to eat. Nothing to worry about!

Stitch

Lairian
@Stitch this is an very old thread so probably the ones who started this threas won't respond.
I know more sphynxes shiver while eating or after eating. Sometimes it's because the food is still a bit cold (with raw food out of fridge). Or because they're heating themselves up cause it costs energy to eat. Nothing to worry about!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Our one girl used to do what we called purr shakes. She did not purr, but rather shook when happy.