Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

should I be giving my cats supplements?

Violet1012

Lairian
I feed my cats all organic raw meat I freeze it for three days before I dethaw and give it to them because I heard that that kills any bacteria that could be on it. I don't give them supplements because I didn't feel like I need to they don't get supplements in the wild and I was trying to mimic a more natural Wildlife Style I feed them a mixture of hamburger chicken fish pork organs and Bone I grind it all together and make it into small bite-size pieces like a wet cat food my cats love it and I have noticed a big change in their health for the positive my female has a great weight and a shiny coat what little bit of fur she has that is lol. recently the lady I got my cat from said I should be giving her supplements as well if I need to do that that's fine but I didn't think I did what's your opinion on supplements my veterinarian told me that human vitamins are great for cats and work fine and it's much cheaper however I looked it up online and I found different information so now I'm confused my vet says one thing my breeder says another and online says something totally different I would love to talk to somebody back and forth to trade ideas and information on raw feeding I want the best for my cats so I'm here to learn what that is thanks so much for reading and for any help that you can give me.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I do supplement with Alnutrin. I don't know anything about using human supplements but my guess is the balance would be all wrong. I do think you should give supplements though. Thiamine is very important and hard to get an adequate amount of with raw diet. It's needed for heart health. As you know, HCM is a possibility in Sphynx cats.

@Xandria

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Violet1012

Lairian
I do supplement with Alnutrin. I don't know anything about using human supplements but my guess is the balance would be all wrong. I do think you should give supplements though. Thiamine is very important and hard to get an adequate amount of with raw diet. It's needed for heart health. As you know, HCM is a possibility in Sphynx cats.

@Xandria

Yeah thats very true. I always try to give them enough by giving them the blood from the packages but now that you mention it it does seem like a good idea to make sure they have enough.i was also worried about calcium with her being pregnant I want to make sure that she gets all the vitamins that she needs

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I feed raw and I've always fed with supplements as IMO it prevents any possible vitamin deficiencies. I've always used the recipe from catinfo.org. Its a recipe from a veterinarian. Most supplements that you will see are Vit B Complex, Vit. E, Taurine, Fish Oil, and iodize salt. I do use human quality supplements.

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Great advice already given!

I know if you are feeding raw there is a supplement that has a variety of things in it to give the na-kids the nutritional value
they require. I believe it is called "Better in the Raw - For Cats" You can buy it online and I you just mix it in with your raw food...I believe.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Ugh I just realized I wrote that "thiamine" is hard to get enough of. I meant Taurine.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sorry I'm late. It's been a crazy week in our house.

Most definitely a nutrient balanced diet should be given, especially when feeding raw. Feeding raw does not constitute JUST meat -- essential additives are necessary.

Be aware that in the wild cats would eat a variety of proteins which completes the nutrients they need. If we decide to feed random proteins, they won't receive the balanced nutrients they need.

I encourage the use of a reputable recipe.

Scroll down in this post for my latest revision on a document about feeding raw. I plan on working on it again today:

Raw Cat Food Information -- Revision

Back