Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

SHOUTING!!!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Does anyone have a problem with their sphnx shouting at them a lot??!! Mo is acually in his bed fast asleep as if butter wouln't melt at the moment. Hes been very good today so far! But a lot of the time he does a lot of shouting. He is pretty clingy and I think it has something to do with the fact I live alone and he is very protective of me. I have another cat, I got her in May to try and help the situation and they do love each other, but he still shouts! Sometimes its not so bad but other times I wander what I'm doing wrong. Maybe thats it, maybe he is just spoilt! I know sphynx's as a breed like lots of attention but from what I have gathered not all sphynx's make as much noise as Mo! Any suggestions on what I can do or anyone having the same problem? I have had him for almost 1year now. Thanks, Sam

Brooke

Banned
Does anyone have a problem with their sphnx shouting at them a lot??!! Mo is acually in his bed fast asleep as if butter wouln't melt at the moment. Hes been very good today so far! But a lot of the time he does a lot of shouting. He is pretty clingy and I think it has something to do with the fact I live alone and he is very protective of me. I have another cat, I got her in May to try and help the situation and they do love each other, but he still shouts! Sometimes its not so bad but other times I wander what I'm doing wrong. Maybe thats it, maybe he is just spoilt! I know sphynx's as a breed like lots of attention but from what I have gathered not all sphynx's make as much noise as Mo! Any suggestions on what I can do or anyone having the same problem? I have had him for almost 1year now. Thanks, Sam

Hi Sam, has Mo been neutered? My boy Walter wasn't neutered when I got him, and he used to shout A LOT! He was very demanding! Since I had him fixed, he's gotten quieter. He's still a talker, and still yells at me from time to time, but he doesn't howl constantly like he did when he was intact. So, if Mo still has all of his "parts", if you got him neutered, no doubt that would quiet him down. If he is already neutered...um...ear plugs? :LOL: Just kidding...maybe he's bored?

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ha ha, unfortunately he is no longer in tact! In fact since he was neutered in April he seems even more demanding! Maybe you are right, maybe he needs more entertainment! The ear plugs are a serious option though!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Well Sam I do agree with Brooke because Leo is louder at times than Athena and I think it is when his hormones flair up because it can be in the middle of the night and all of the sudden he will stat yelling for no reason at all!
On the other hand in the summer we spend alot of time out side and the windows open in the house they will both sit in the window and yell their heads off until I get the leash and bring then out so I do belive they can yell until getting what they want!
Smart little boogers:Wink:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yea I think its just attention seeking, he does it when I've been on nights and won't let me sleep, then when I get up he goes to sleep in his bed! It's as if to say "you are not allowed to go to bed in the day, you will do as I say woman!" I think it's about making a point. Just hope he calms down as he gets older. Hes driving me round the twist just lately with it!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ha must be! There is a few things I've said on here and a few people have said what?! Like 'jumper' which means sweater. Mo has knitted jumpers, but I guess thats a UK word!

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Kreacher also does this...I always just thought of it as he was talking to me. He Really screams at me when he wants food, or wants me to pay attention to him. He'll even walk up and take a nip at my leg or arm if i'm not paying attention to him. Also he is SUPER SUPER spoiled. Me and my husband have been trying for a baby for a year now, and Kreacher came along about 7 months in, so I kinda treat him like a little baby :)

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ra is incredibly vocal, it doesn't bother me but its certainly a sharp contrast to the Siamese I've been around and they are supposed to be very vocal :Surprise:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was interested in getting a siamese before I got Mo, I heard they were very vocal and in the end I went for Mo. He is VERY VOCAL! I worry that I will have problems meeting someone because Mo will not like someone else being close to me!

English Dave

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was interested in getting a siamese before I got Mo, I heard they were very vocal and in the end I went for Mo. He is VERY VOCAL! I worry that I will have problems meeting someone because Mo will not like someone else being close to me!

My ex wife had a Siamese and in comparison to Ra it whispered...

CoolSphynx

Lairian
My ex wife had a Siamese and in comparison to Ra it whispered...

:Surprise: That's impressive! I always thought of Dobby as the "Strong Silent" type -- okay, I'll be honest, he was too lazy to complain, but now that he's got a harem of three furgirls loving on him, he talks smack all day long. Everyone is desexed, but in his dotage Dobby''s acting like Hugh Hefner. :BigSmile: Wish I had answers to help, but alas, I can only offer hugs. I now keep Dobby out of one room out of the apt that shares the wall with the neighbors, b/c they recently asked if that was a human baby crying. :Hysterical:

myspecialboy

Lairian
Yea I think its just attention seeking, he does it when I've been on nights and won't let me sleep, then when I get up he goes to sleep in his bed! It's as if to say "you are not allowed to go to bed in the day, you will do as I say woman!" I think it's about making a point. Just hope he calms down as he gets older. Hes driving me round the twist just lately with it!

You should read my thread "I'm going to wring his little kitty neck!" Chadwick does not like it if I want to sleep and he makes it known! He is just the loudest freaking cat I have ever heard! What's better, if I don't get up when he's screaming at me, he'll rustle the blinds, knock my keys off of the counter, and jump on anything that will make noise! He doesn't do these things when I'm up and out of bed!
I did read this book on cat behaviors and it is just an attention thing to say "Hey! I'm still here and I want to make your life a living Hell until you do as I please! Love ya!!!"

Brooke

Banned
You should read my thread "I'm going to wring his little kitty neck!" Chadwick does not like it if I want to sleep and he makes it known! He is just the loudest freaking cat I have ever heard! What's better, if I don't get up when he's screaming at me, he'll rustle the blinds, knock my keys off of the counter, and jump on anything that will make noise! He doesn't do these things when I'm up and out of bed!
I did read this book on cat behaviors and it is just an attention thing to say "Hey! I'm still here and I want to make your life a living Hell until you do as I please! Love ya!!!"

hehe...Walter used to be the exact same way when he was the only cat in the house. If you look back at some of my older posts here, oh boy... I used to show up at work with huge bags under my eyes and I was so sleep deprived :Dizzy:. Now that he's got playmates, they wear each other out during the day running all over the place, so when I go to bed, all four of them snuggle up and sleep through the night!

The moral of the story? You guys just need to get some more sphynxes!! :LOL:

myspecialboy

Lairian
hehe...Walter used to be the exact same way when he was the only cat in the house. If you look back at some of my older posts here, oh boy... I used to show up at work with huge bags under my eyes and I was so sleep deprived :Dizzy:. Now that he's got playmates, they wear each other out during the day running all over the place, so when I go to bed, all four of them snuggle up and sleep through the night!

The moral of the story? You guys just need to get some more sphynxes!! :LOL:

I'm talking with a breeder as we speak!

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't know about vocal but i feel like I'm in a truck stop parking lot when my 5 gey their motors going..So if more Sphynx are the answer to this problem sign me up .....its like your own vibrating back and foot massager with them going:LOL:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have to say, he is actually very good overnight, he sleeps downstairs at night with the other cat and when the light goes out he knows its bed time and I have to give him credit he is very quiet untill I come down in the morning! But during the day he can get VERY noisy if he isn't getting his own way! Little bugger!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Meecho is a screamer although I never thought of it as screaming until now:Laugh: You can usually hear her quite clearly from the upstairs when she is in the basement. So yeah I think being able to hear her through three floors would probably constitute a shouter.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ha ha I think so too! Mo seems to do this thing where he goes upstairs and shouts if im downstairs, and goes downstairs and shouts if im upstairs! I think he likes to make a point! He likes to sit on top of the microwave and shout too, this is probably because his food cupboard is above the microwave! Another favourite place to sit and shout seems to be on top of the toaster! I have to make sure the switches are turned off!

ellie4-12

Lairian
My new cat has been having TREMENDOUS problems shouting.. He chirps for attention.. all the time. I really started to get worried about the tenants nearby complaining because it's SO loud.. Then the engineer read some things and came up with a "systematic solution"

For bedtime meowing/calling/ with bedroom door shut

1. wait for cat to start meowing near door
2. swat face (obviously lightly but enough to scare a little bit)
3. close door again

* repeat * This only took my kitty a few swats before he realized what's up.

For meowing/chirping around house excessively-

1. IGNORE. this is the most important step. Do not look at cat/give affection
2. If meowing continues/gets worse without break pick up cat without giving affection and put in bathroom.
3. Listen for meowing to stop. If it continues.. spray water at him from under the door. this way, he doesn't think his meowing is being acknowledged and that the water is *mysteriously* hitting him when he acts up.
4. Keep in bathroom for 10-15 minutes

5. Let out.. give attention if quiet!

Repeat. Be persistant!

I don't want the new guy to become mute or anything by these measures..but his current callings are loud to the point of driving me insane at times. I think they are still hormonal since he was just neutered. Since trying this method he has improved ALOT since starting. Now if we put him in the bathroom he immediately shuts his trap because he knows whats coming. He also has started to stop meowing when he realizes we don't give him attention when he is loud..

I can now sleep nicely at night which is awesome. The first few nights we had him he wouldn't stop shouting. We close the door and shut off the lights.. put him in his bed.. and he goes to sleep and won't bother us until breakfast!

I hope this helps!

myspecialboy

Lairian
I've noticed that if I mock Chadwick's "Meowowowow!", he'll stop doing it and run up to me and go to sleep. I have no idea what I'm saying to him, but it's working!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ellie, Thats great thanks, Its good to know i'm not the only one! Mo is very good at night, I turn to lights off and he sleeps well with the other cat downstairs at night. He sometimes shouts a bit at first but I ignore and he soon stops. During the day he does shout if I go into another room without him, I was also worried about next door complaining because I live in an apartment and it would be awful if someone complained. He really is very loud and persistant sometimes. I will try what you said and see if it works. Thanks again, Sam

Back