Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Show tips?

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
Arty and Thai will be showing in their 2nd cat show in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone had any good tips? I love traveling to these shows but haven't had great luck with my kitties. I know they are young but what are some major things they look for in this breed besides whats in the regs? They got their Grand from last show but wasn't ever asked back to the rings. Makes me sad for them. Just want to make sure I give them a fair chance and get them prepared enough.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Are you showing in CFA or TICA?
How many finals have they made?
Are you saying they were not called back for finals?
Did they Grand by only beating other sphynx?
You can not Grand in TICA unless you have 6 finals and 1000 Points.
It sounds like you are showing in CFA.
You must make sure the cat is very clean.
Check the nails,ears ect.
Give them a bath right before you go to the show the first day.
Show clean and clean at home are not the same.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
i cant contribute a whole lot... as i don't show cats... but i show dogs and know personally that there's no worst feeling then thinking YOU lost it for your dog. i can totally relate to that! (ugh!)
I hope you find some great tips on here! there seems to be quite a few exhibitors here. Good luck on your upcoming shows!!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have only shown Gleek twice in Kitten Class so I don't have any real advice other than to say the judges I have seen seem to like squeaky clean Sphynxes with charming and outgoing personalities. Good luck.

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
Ya they have Grand in CFA. Since we are in Idaho, they never have any other Sphynx to beat. They never get called back to final. I feel I get them pretty squeaky clean but was wondering if they dont play with the judges toy, if that makes that big of a difference?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

My Cleo never played with the toys and she finaled in every show she was ever in accept her only kitten show.
How much hair do they have on them?
My Wrinkles who just granded in TICA only has 3 finals in CFA but Cleo always finaled in CFA.
Are you showing both cats against each other?
What judges have you had?
Some judges will not fiinal sphynx no matter what.

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
They are completely hairless. My female is even kinda sticky, she's so hairless. The judges I had was:

Barb Jaeger
Ed Davis
Betty White
Lorna Malinen
Dennis Ganoe
Dave Mare
John Webster
Gloria Hoover

The judges for the show I will be going to will be these plus some from the last show.

Brian Moser
Pam Moser
Derrel newkirk
Vicky Nye

Thanks for the info.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have been told Betty White does not like sphynx and I have never seen her final a sphynx.
John Webster and Vicki Nye love Cleo but not Wrinkles.
Polar did get best of breed from John though.
To bad Cleo can not be shown because her attitude is bad in the ring now.
Dave Mare loves sphynx but has never finaled mine.
Ed Davis we saw only once but he did not final my cat.
The Mosers, Dennis Ganoe and Barb Jaeger final sphynx.
I never heard of Gloria,Derrel orLorna.
Good luck to you.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I have nothing to add but to wish you the best of luck! M2M is the one with all the info when it comes to showing, thanks to her for her answers:ThumbsUp:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
It sounds like your cats were show as opens.
You can not Grand a cat as a open.
You need 6 Winners Ribbons then you can start getting Grand Points.

MELODIEROCK

Lairian
You're right. Thank you for clearing that up for me. There's no way I will ever make Grand cause there are no Sphynx at shows around here to beat. We will see though and I love them anyway.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You do not have to beat other sphynx to Grand.
You get Grand Points when you final weather there is a sphynx there or not.
You only get 1 Grand Point when you beat another sphynx.
Most Grand Points are earned from finals.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Nofuratu never played with the judges toys and always just sat there and hissed and growled and still won lots.....

I always carried him to the ring cages in a velvet blankie and picked him up afterwards in one so that made him happy. I also tossed a treat in the cage with him ....so you may find those things helpful.

never forget the nail trim and bring hand sanitiser and make people use it before touching your cat. Or dont let them touch your cat at all....because every show there always seems to be at least one cat that catches something.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I really would like to show my kitten but it seems way to confusing ......:Dizzy:

dont let that discourage you!!!!! seriously!!!

Ive shown my purebred sphynx Nofuratu a bunch of times and still get confused over stuff and have to ask the clerks a ton of questions.....but thats what they are there for. The shows are a lot of fun, and most people are friendly and helpful, so if you are interested you should try it out.

I retired Nofuratu from showing last year when I found out he had HOCM, and was worried his crabbyness in the judging ring would aggravate his heart problem.

But just this month I decided to start showing my new, non purebred sphynx Vladimir as a household pet. Of course Im not used to showing in the household pet category so I had to ask a ton of questions again when filling out the forms....

just go for it and see if you have fun!

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
thanks ! yeah I might just have to try it out ....my kitten will be fixed so I will have to show it in the house hold pet also .Sorry to hear about Nofuratu's condition .

Just because your kitten is neutered/spayed doesn't mean it has to be shown in the household division. If it's of show quality and registered, it can be shown in the regular classes: first Kitten, then Premiere. Unaltered cats are shown in Kitten together with the altered, then once they're an adult it splits to Champion and Premiere classes.

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
thanks ! yeah I might just have to try it out ....my kitten will be fixed so I will have to show it in the house hold pet also .Sorry to hear about Nofuratu's condition .

There is a whole category for purebred neutered pets, called premier. You only have to show your pet in the household pet category if you can not get them registered as purebred (ie no papers from breeder).

Back