Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sick Big Guy

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Sweat:I know this will sound gross, but my Big Guy Oba has been vomiting the last 2 days..Monday when I went to get their dry food, the store was out, so I had to switch to a diffrent brand. That evening I noticed him vomiting, it was all just food and nothing else.. Then yesterday I noticed it too, all Cat food and nothing else...I have not caught him vomiting up his raw diet from in the mornings. Well this morning again with the cat food vomit. I checked his bowel sound they are all active, Bowel movements are normal... He has a sneeze every now and then, but no nasal drainage. Eyes water but mostly after he gets sick. I am going this moring to get their regular cat food again, could that be all it is are is there something worse I need to worry about? None of the rest of the group are sick or vomiting...Any help would be appreated...:Cry:

Brooke

Banned
A fast food switch can definitely upset a tummy - in fact, I'm surprised he's the only one that's having any issues - I'd expect a little bit of diarrhea from somebody!!

I don't ever want to tell you not to take a vomiting cat to a vet, but I will tell you that if this were going on at my house, under those circumstances, and the cat was otherwise perfectly fine (not dehydrated, eating, drinking, normal BM's, normal mood), I would blame the food switch and just keep an eye on it. If the vomiting persisted for a couple more days or he developed any other symptoms, then I'd take him in.

I hope he feels better!

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes he is otherwise fine..Active, loving, drinking...Like I said the raw diet he is not vomiting up but the cat food he is...I have caught no one else vomiting, and noticed no dirreaha in the litter box, and I usually clean it 1 to 2 times a day.. I was hoping it was only the food and had already decided if it was still happening tommrow that he was going to the vet first thing. I was just hoping since he was the only one and nothing else seemed wrong that it was the food, since their tummy's are so sentive.. Thanks again

Brooke

Banned
I was also thinking it could be that he really liked the new food and ate it too fast? My girl Helen did this with her dry food and would puke up just the kibble almost immediately after eating it. Otherwise she had no tummy issues, no runny stool, and her appetite was good.

I think that can sometimes be an issue in multi-cat households, like ours, where they develop the "pack mentality" and want to make sure they're gonna get some food! The solution was to separate her from the other 3 cats at feeding time so she didn't feel like she had to race to finish her dinner.

susi794

Staff member
I was also thinking it could be that he really liked the new food and ate it too fast? My girl Helen did this with her dry food and would puke up just the kibble almost immediately after eating it. Otherwise she had no tummy issues, no runny stool, and her appetite was good.

I think that can sometimes be an issue in multi-cat households, like ours, where they develop the "pack mentality" and want to make sure they're gonna get some food! The solution was to separate her from the other 3 cats at feeding time so she didn't feel like she had to race to finish her dinner.

I agree with you, Brooke, my beagle does that when he's really excited about his food--gobbles it too fast then pukes it almost immediately right back up. As for my cats, like everyone else said, I'd watch for other signs, but if no diarreah, no dehydration or other symptoms, I'd just put him back on his reg food and keep an eye on him. Hope he feels better soon!

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Woo:Thanks everyone..As a nervous mom I too him to the vet yesterday afternoon. Vet gave him something for nausea and vomiting. switched his food back..and poof...No more vomiting since. I feel so much better.. My fat guy can't become my skinny guy that just aint right..I need him to sunngle with when I sleep:LOL:He is feeling so much better and playing chace with the boys.. Thanks again for all your help..Lesson learned drive 100 miles rather than switch cat food.!!!!!!:Dizzy:

Back