Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sick cats

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My husband (police officer) was called to pick up a sick stray cat in town this morning. He said the cat was skin and bones, couldn't move and was panting(this may be also due to the 100 degree heat) The residents who called it in said last week it was a fat healthy looking feral cat. They also said there were more ferals starting to show the same symptoms of weight loss, staggering, and panting. My husband took the cat to the shelter, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what may be going through the neighborhood?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Your husband has been a saint to all the animals in your town :ThumbsUp:

The only thing that comes to mind is diabetes for these poor cats. It can cause severe weight loss and pretty quickly.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh dear that doesn't sound good. It wasn't foaming at the mouth was it? If it's something serious I hope it hasn't spread. Hopefully it was a one off or individual illness and most cats (domestic) will of had their vaccines so should be fairly safe hopefully?

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know if it was foaming, I wouldn't go look at it, for fear of bringing something home. I'm sure that poor kitty was put down, I just hope it's not some epidemic in the feral colonies in town.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
aww poor kitty, either way i'm glad your hubby is always there for all of these lost animal / pet souls. Hopefully it wasn't put down, I'm an optimist, I like to try to be anyhow.

Sending positive thoughts and vibes in your direction and hoping this was just a one time wonder!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I asked him to describe it more when he got home, he said it was clearly dehydrated, but more than that it was twitching, had labored breathing, he said it appeared to him to be something neurological??

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Poor baby. I hope it didn't suffer much and got lots of pats in the end. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of his feral buddies.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
awe poor kitties. sounds like you and your hubby are the animal gods for your town :)
perhaps just the heat, making them feel sick so they dont eat, etc.. no water.... idk. poor kitties :(

Back