Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sick kitten- Any advice?

Rhianne

Lairian
Hello all,
I'm sad to have to be writing this post but I'm getting pretty desperate for any advice from anyone experienced with sphynx digestion problems? I'll try and keep this short but I think this post will be a mile long.
BACK STORY: So we picked up our baby Kiwi on Tuesday 12th September (6 days ago today) and have had some troubling times. When we picked Kiwi up she was being fed Whiskas wet and dry food, and Whiskas treats. The breeder told us that although 80% of the time Kiwi had no problems with it, occasionally she'd have runny stools but it was nothing to worry about. Kiwi had also been fully vaccinated and spayed before we got her, she'd had 2 health checks from a reputable vet and had received attentive care from her breeder. So we bought the exact same food that the breeder had her on and took her home, she had a good appetite and was moderately playful but her stools were awful- runny, EXTREMELY smelly and her back end looked red and sore. Kiwi also looked bloated and uncomfortable after meal times. So my partner and I (being first time cat parents) were instantly worried, scared of doing nothing and scared of doing something to make it worse. Anyway, travel forward to Wednesday night, and Kiwi wakes us both up after what looked like 2 or 3 terrible trips to the litter tray, and she was behaving very lethargically and was clearly suffering. Needless to say we booked her in for a vet check up on the Friday, but in our desperation we may have jumped the gun- we switched her from her usual Whiskas to Wainwright's wet food and Wellness CORE dry food- I'll list the ingredients of both of these foods below. Throughout Thursday and Friday we fed her really small portions of the wet food every 2 hours and had a small amount of dry food available to her throughout the day, and she was instantly improved: playing like crazy, lapping up her food and generally looking a lot happier. We were unbelievably relieved, and even more so when she did her first ever semi-normal poops later that evening and onwards. GREAT, we thought, we'd taken a risk and it had payed off. The vet appointment came and went and he gave Kiwi a clean bill of health, stating that she's a healthy weight and seems alert and generally well. At this point we thought we'd cracked it. Fast forward again to early Sunday morning and Kiwi's appetite had decreased noticeably- she'd stopped finishing the small portions we were giving her and had once again been producing pretty unhealthy stools. One small plus was that she didn't seem to feel unwell, she was still playing like crazy and purring happily whenever we stroked her. However throughout Sunday night and this morning (Monday) Kiwi still hasn't got much of an appetite and is clearly lethargic again. She will still purr and give us kisses when we pet her, but she's not moved around much and is no longer up for chasing us around the house and playing as she had been before. Her poops are very nearly as bad as when we first got her.
Needless to say both me and my partner are completely unsure of the best way forward now, and really need some advice about what we can do for Kiwi to make her feel better. Any advice is appreciated.

Wainwright's composition: Chicken (40%), Vegetables (including Peas 2% and Carrots 2%), Minerals, Fish Oil (0.2%), Sunflower Oil, Cranberry Extract (123mg/kg), Yucca Extract (45mg/kg. Protein 9.0%, Crude Oils and Fats 4.0%, Crude Fibres 1.0%, Crude Ash 3.0% Moisture 83.0%.
Wellness CORE composition: Turkey 26% (Fresh Turkey 16%, Turkey Meal 10%), Chicken 21% (Chicken Meal 16%, Dried Chicken 5%), Peas, Potato Protein, Chicken Fat 6%, Salmon Meal 5%, Dried Potatoes, Full-Fat Linseed, Beet Pulp 2%, Cellulose, Salmon Oil 1%, Dried Chicory Root 0.5%, Cranberries, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello all,
I'm sad to have to be writing this post but I'm getting pretty desperate for any advice from anyone experienced with sphynx digestion problems? I'll try and keep this short but I think this post will be a mile long.
BACK STORY: So we picked up our baby Kiwi on Tuesday 12th September (6 days ago today) and have had some troubling times. When we picked Kiwi up she was being fed Whiskas wet and dry food, and Whiskas treats. The breeder told us that although 80% of the time Kiwi had no problems with it, occasionally she'd have runny stools but it was nothing to worry about. Kiwi had also been fully vaccinated and spayed before we got her, she'd had 2 health checks from a reputable vet and had received attentive care from her breeder. So we bought the exact same food that the breeder had her on and took her home, she had a good appetite and was moderately playful but her stools were awful- runny, EXTREMELY smelly and her back end looked red and sore. Kiwi also looked bloated and uncomfortable after meal times. So my partner and I (being first time cat parents) were instantly worried, scared of doing nothing and scared of doing something to make it worse. Anyway, travel forward to Wednesday night, and Kiwi wakes us both up after what looked like 2 or 3 terrible trips to the litter tray, and she was behaving very lethargically and was clearly suffering. Needless to say we booked her in for a vet check up on the Friday, but in our desperation we may have jumped the gun- we switched her from her usual Whiskas to Wainwright's wet food and Wellness CORE dry food- I'll list the ingredients of both of these foods below. Throughout Thursday and Friday we fed her really small portions of the wet food every 2 hours and had a small amount of dry food available to her throughout the day, and she was instantly improved: playing like crazy, lapping up her food and generally looking a lot happier. We were unbelievably relieved, and even more so when she did her first ever semi-normal poops later that evening and onwards. GREAT, we thought, we'd taken a risk and it had payed off. The vet appointment came and went and he gave Kiwi a clean bill of health, stating that she's a healthy weight and seems alert and generally well. At this point we thought we'd cracked it. Fast forward again to early Sunday morning and Kiwi's appetite had decreased noticeably- she'd stopped finishing the small portions we were giving her and had once again been producing pretty unhealthy stools. One small plus was that she didn't seem to feel unwell, she was still playing like crazy and purring happily whenever we stroked her. However throughout Sunday night and this morning (Monday) Kiwi still hasn't got much of an appetite and is clearly lethargic again. She will still purr and give us kisses when we pet her, but she's not moved around much and is no longer up for chasing us around the house and playing as she had been before. Her poops are very nearly as bad as when we first got her.
Needless to say both me and my partner are completely unsure of the best way forward now, and really need some advice about what we can do for Kiwi to make her feel better. Any advice is appreciated.

Wainwright's composition: Chicken (40%), Vegetables (including Peas 2% and Carrots 2%), Minerals, Fish Oil (0.2%), Sunflower Oil, Cranberry Extract (123mg/kg), Yucca Extract (45mg/kg. Protein 9.0%, Crude Oils and Fats 4.0%, Crude Fibres 1.0%, Crude Ash 3.0% Moisture 83.0%.
Wellness CORE composition: Turkey 26% (Fresh Turkey 16%, Turkey Meal 10%), Chicken 21% (Chicken Meal 16%, Dried Chicken 5%), Peas, Potato Protein, Chicken Fat 6%, Salmon Meal 5%, Dried Potatoes, Full-Fat Linseed, Beet Pulp 2%, Cellulose, Salmon Oil 1%, Dried Chicory Root 0.5%, Cranberries, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera.
Hello - sorry to hear this, its not uncommon for a kitty to come home with Giardia, and tests can come back a false negative, most vets will just treat it. Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia). If all bugs and illness have been ruled out, a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not the filler type) can ease tummy issues. :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Great advice above. I would go back to the vet today if possible. Kittens should not be lethargic and they have a big appetite. I will be looking for your update.

meandmytwo

Lairian
Hi. Sorry you're going through this.

I would go back to the vet asap with a poop sample and have it tested for EVERYTHING. We went trough something similar - loose poo, fine poo, diarrhea, fine poo, several food changes, treating for giardia (though not tested for it), fine poo, diarrhea...

Nothing helped except meds for the bacteria that was eventually found after 8 months of monkeying around with different foods, probiotics and pumpkin.

The series of tests we had were about $300. (With 2 kitties it was $600 for us.) Well worth it to have finally found the problem.

I hope this gets settled soon. I know his upsetting it is.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sending healing vibes to Kiwi. Sorry to hear you're going through this. As the others suggested it's best to let her test on Giardia and other bacteria. You could also let her test on food allergies but I would start to rule out bacteria.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Definitely agree with vet check amd to rule out giardia and even tritrichimonas

vets may treat for giardia in case a false negative
Tri tri has a different antibiotic- ronidazole
Was Kiwi dewormed by a vet ?
I would take all records from the breeder with you

My vet presscibed Cerenia for my boy years ago which helped

Over the years my vet has prescribed Metronidazole for poo issues
It works well

Positve vibes amd head smooches to Kiwi
Please keep us updated!

Last edited:

Rhianne

Lairian
Definitely agree with vet check amd to rule out giardia and even tritrichimonas

vets may treat for giardoa in case a false negative
Tri tri has a different antibiotic- ronidazole
Was Kiwi dewormed by a vet ?
I would take all records from the breeder with you

My vet presscibed Cerenia for my boy years ago which helped

Over the years my vet has prescribed Metronidazole for poo issues
It works well

Positve vibes amd head smooches to Kiwi
Please keep us updated!

I was under the impression she would have been dewormed by a vet but I'm looking through all the paperwork we received from the breeder and there are only records of her vaccinations, not anything to do with her deworming. Thanks so much for the info!

Rhianne

Lairian
A quick update for everyone-
After writing the original post, Kiwi perked up and seemed to find her energy again- that being said, I still booked her in for a vet appointment as soon as I could get her one (which happens to be tomorrow morning). Since then she has been eating slightly less than ideal but eating nonetheless and has been drinking LOADS of water, has used the litter tray a few times and it has been hit and miss. I'll take a stool sample when I go to the vet tomorrow and get it tested for everything. Thank you all for your advice, it's so comforting to know there's a community of people for support in trying times.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Rhianne , thank you for keep us updated often on sweet Kiwi

Positive vibes semt for Kiwi's vet visit !

Just to add , during vet visits I also ask the vet to listen to my sohynx babies heart for any heart murmurs -
Good to get s base line .. And be aware that they can have slight murmurs they may outgrow or may detect a little murmur from the stress of the vet visit .. So as a matter of course whenever they go to the vet I ask for a listen to their hearts

I also being a towel or blanket that I cover the crate on 3 sides during the ride to the vet - it's calming
Amd I use it to place on the cold metal exam table.

Glad you are gettimg her vet checked
please chime in with an update

If you do try the canned pumpkin be sure it is 100% pure pumpkin amd no spices
I read the ingredient label just to make sure
Here in the US many use Libby's amd I have even found store brand labels 100% pure

Only ome of mine will eat the 1/2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin i give in a separate little dish .
I refrigerate in a plastic comtainer amd warm up for a few seconds in the microwave ( check temp with your finger to make sure it's not hot !) the next day .

Some members freeze the canned pumpkin in specifically designed sealed covered ice cube trays and take out amd warm up as needed . Do not store the open can in the refrigerator

I believe @Xandria can recommend a psyllium husk product too that may be helpful
Here is a previous thread
High Fiber Food

You can discuss the 100% pure pumpkin amd psyllium husk with your vet

All paws crossed you get a diagnosis amd relief for Kiwi :)
Look forward to positive updates

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Rhianne

Lairian
@Rhianne , thank you for keep us updated often on sweet Kiwi

Positive vibes semt for Kiwi's vet visit !

Just to add , during vet visits I also ask the vet to listen to my sohynx babies heart for any heart murmurs -
Good to get s base line .. And be aware that they can have slight murmurs they may outgrow or may detect a little murmur from the stress of the vet visit .. So as a matter of course whenever they go to the vet I ask for a listen to their hearts

I also being a towel or blanket that I cover the crate on 3 sides during the ride to the vet - it's calming
Amd I use it to place on the cold metal exam table.

Glad you are gettimg her vet checked
please chime in with an update

If you do try the canned pumpkin be sure it is 100% pure pumpkin amd no spices
I read the ingredient label just to make sure
Here in the US many use Libby's amd I have even found store brand labels 100% pure

Only ome of mine will eat the 1/2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin i give in a separate little dish .
I refrigerate in a plastic comtainer amd warm up for a few seconds in the microwave ( check temp with your finger to make sure it's not hot !) the next day .

Some members freeze the canned pumpkin in specifically designed sealed covered ice cube trays and take out amd warm up as needed . Do not store the open can in the refrigerator

I believe @Xandria can recommend a psyllium husk product too that may be helpful
Here is a previous thread
High Fiber Food

You can discuss the 100% pure pumpkin amd psyllium husk with your vet

All paws crossed you get a diagnosis amd relief for Kiwi :)
Look forward to positive updates
Thank you so much for the detailed advice, I'll be sure to let you know what's next! :cat:

Rhianne

Lairian
Another update-
So throughout yesterday I only fed Kiwi her wet food in small portions every couple of hours. Usually Kiwi has some of her Wellness Core dry food overnight, but I held off giving her any over Tuesday night (so she's only had her wet food from Tuesday evening onwards). Once the dry food was out of her system Kiwi has been like a different cat: bouncy, energetic and wolfing down her wet food. She's since used the litter tray twice and both poops were better than any she's done with us before! We were due to take her to the vet this morning but due to how stressful she finds it we thought it would be better to cancel the appointment and re-book if her problems return.
Thanks again for all your help! Kiwi and I really appreciate it.

Cleous

Lairian
Hi, I'm from uk too had similar probs to you a month ago, we got home with Sebastian 20weeks,kitten and had tummy probs he was on felix wet and proplan dry he,had,severe diaherrea for about a week vet gave us probiotics and digestion food didnt give him the food as didnt want any more new food to upset him finally he got better although mess stl smelly and loosish am now,starting him over to raw food touch wood he is alot better and not have to chase,after him after llitterbox visits now he also seems,so much more livelier now
Pm if u need any help or to chat

Back