Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Strangecat

Lairian
Hey everyone,
I'm having some struggles trying to figure out what is going on with Mars...
since sunday evening ( it is now wednesday )
my Mars ( almost 5 months ) has been sick and slow and sleepy and just not eating or being as energetic as usual. He sleeps through the night with me but he's seems not like himself.
Friday I had gotten him some new food since the vet said to get more specifically "kitten" food, so I picked up some natural balance kitten food (canned and kibble) to switch it up....but he had been fine and enjoying the natural balance canned food just served in smaller portions, mixed with Orijen solid food (6 fish? )
I believe he may have had a sensitivity to the new food, so I eliminated the change right away...since then he's just completely out of it and im concerned...

Sunday was when he started showing odd symptoms , monday he wasn't really interested in his soft food which was the NB+Orijen mix to go back to square one. when I got home from work, he had gotten sick and vomited on my bed and in his litter box ( he's pretty smart lol )..which I had noticed the same texture'd clumps the day before, so it had been going on since sunday. I did get him to bathe okay, and eat a little in small portions. He has been keeping hydrated and drinking plenty of water/peeing ...but no solids in his litter box.

He did eat a bit again before bed last night but spent most of his time cuddling with me, still purring and keeping warm, but woke up around 4am sick again in his litter box, then cuddled on my chest for the rest of the night.

He seems to show slight interest in his wet food he has been used to, but his plate is always still mostly full.
I have him scheduled in at the cat clinic tomorrow...but I am so worried about him thinning out and being sick, my poor boy ) : he was just at the vet less than 2 weeks ago for his shots, upper respiratory vaccine (his eyes are always goopy, and he has been sneezing/watery liquid when sleezing)..... and deworming, and I was supposed to get his second dose of worm meds to him yesterday, but with him being sick, I did not want to cause his tummy more pain.

I am worried he may be experiencing a kitty cold? and some loneliness since I do work from about 10am-6pm....I do leave the radio on for him when i go, with plenty of fresh water and a clean litter box. My room mate is also home, and today I have him keeping Mars company during the day...if anyone has any advice for me, I would be super appreciative of it, I have the next couple of days off to take him to the vet and be home with my little love.

If anyone has been through something similar, any type of helpfultricks to get him eating regularly again would be nice!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Strangecat , Definitely recommend vet visit for proper diagnosis /treatment of Mars
Since we can offer advice but cannot diagnosis- so glad you reached out so others can chime in too what you can ask your vet to check and rule out too -

Other symptoms?

Is it possible he got into anything , swallowed chewed up something he shouldn't?
Is he sneezing ,? Eyes running ? If so what color discharge of any ?
Temperature? Turgor test for hydration check? Link with video
8 month old kitten having tummy problems

Fwiw, I fed Acana by same company as Orijen .. My sphynx on the new USA formulas puked it up constantly!
All over litter box floor , floor etc...

Orijen is higher protein and not all kitites can handle it - so I went with Acana a little lower protein but still puked it up -
Have you tried holding back the Orijen food?

I personally always suggest proper vet visit as soon as possible to nip things the butt so to speak before they can worsen and cause more problems and higher vet bills

Also, you or your rommate can video tape Mars and show to vet
- this saved me a lot of money to that vet could help see video and diagnosis

Please keep us updated
Positve vibes sent!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about Mars. Going to the vet for a complete checkup is definitely where to start.

Do you have any plants in the house? Anything new that Mars might have chewed on or licked?

My Max has a very sensitive stomach, and sometimes he choose on things that he shouldn't (cardboard) and this upsets his tummy.

Please keep us updated. Sending positive vibes.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you are seeing your vet. Be sure to bring a poop sample. So hard to guess what is going on since he has several symptoms. Hopefully they will give him an anti nausea shot. They might give subcutaneous fluids if they fear he is dehydrated. I will be looking for your update. If they prescribe an antibiotic, we see many find Clavamox is not effective in the breed for URI. Several have found Doxycycline covers a wider spectrum.

Patti

admin

Administrator
Staff member
he was just at the vet less than 2 weeks ago for his shots, upper respiratory vaccine
I'm wondering if his illness has nothing to do with food but negative reaction the shots and meds for deworming he received. Do you have the names of the vaccines and deworming meds?

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Sorry to hear Mars is not feeling well. Good to hear you go to the vet. Hope the vet knows what's going one with Mars. Sending healing vibes to Mars.

Natasja

Strangecat

Lairian
I'm wondering if his illness has nothing to do with food but negative reaction the shots and meds for deworming he received. Do you have the names of the vaccines and deworming meds?

hmm that could be it, tho the vet was pretty confident it was based on the food changes...his worm meds were Milbemax, and the vaccine is purevax feline.
he has bounced back pretty well so it was totally just a scare! :eek:
thanks for your help/advice!

Back