Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sick of people calling my cat ugly!

tessblack

Banned
I have never been good at being rude but sometimes I can't help myself. Insulting my babies is like insulting someones kids. One lady at the petstore told me that was the uglyist thing she ever saw. I asked her if her shirt was a gift, when she said no I just went oh, sorry and walked away. I hold my tongue because I used to work in a male gay bar with some vicious Queens that taught me well. I find most times people are fascinated and actually say nice things. Still waiting for soeone to say something when my husband is holding one.:LOL:

One lady at the petstore told me that was the uglyist thing she ever saw. I asked her if her shirt was a gift, when she said no I just went oh, sorry and walked away.

That's a good one!

I'm not usually rude either, but I've had enough with the "ugly" comments I get from family members, friends and strangers. I feel it would be like me telling someone that their kid was ugly - I'm sure they wouldn't take too kindly to that!

" so are you " usually shuts them up:LOL:

YES! Or just flat out saying "What makes you think that's appropriate? If I called your kid ugly, would you just smile and nod at me?" or "Since we're being so honest, you're (inserte really rude profanity laced sentence because Sianne, is not a polite person when you insult her babies)" :BigSmile:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's so rude of people to do that especially family. I've only had very excited people come up to us and my family wouldn't dare say anything bad because they know Nudie is my other child. To be polite you could say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or to be rude right back you could say " takes one to know one"- last one is a little childish but hey they asked for it. Good Luck!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My family has come to love their grandcats. Even my mom who is a hard nut to crack. But I do get very sick of calling my cats ugly but have come up with witty ways of making them swallow their words.

kaoticharmony

Banned
A friend came by last week and brought his girlfriend. She was really into cats. After we had been talking for awhile in wandered Neon Shadow Cat and his lovely sister Venus Bela Star. She couldn't touch them enough... (Neon is totally hairless and Venus is peachy) she just keep saying how awesome they feel. Neon climbed up into her lap and cast his spell... he planted a big kiss right on her lips! I have never seen anyone fall so heavily for my babies.... She was looking at Neon's long thin body and was going on about being able to really see a cat....his muscle tone... the way he moves. She kept saying how beautiful he was. She would hold him and go on about his warmth. Then there was Venus.... Venus is a calico. She was amazed not just with her colors... but her patterns and all the things she could see in the designs. She noticed that Venus was shaped different and was again amazed. She never considered that a males and female cat would have different body shapes. The cats were of course loving every minute of this! Doing their best to impress with lots of Sphynxy rubs and Venus broke down and started doing her silly upside down Sphynx stuff.
She never asked the typical questions I'm so used to she just loved every second with "these beautiful amazing creatures."

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I dont know what it is, but its usually ugly wrinkled elderly people that say that to Nofuratu!
You dont know how many times I have said in a hurt tone of voice...
"well he probably thinks the same thing about you!"
They usually either shut up or apologise, or sometimes they laugh and say you are probably right in an apologetic manner. It snaps them out of it anyway.
Once an old man said "How can you live with something so ugly?" and I said "why dont you ask your wife!"
I dont care if Im rude, I get very hurt when people are mean to Nofuratu...if they say it in a nice tone of voice then I dont mind...but when they are actually mean...I dont hold back!
I sleep very well at night knowing I didnt keep my mouth shut and internalize it all!

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Just fake cry! Like sob and see how bad you can make them feel. :) I am so evil, I know but a friend of mine got tired of people asking her when she was going to have kids so that's what she started doing. Got people to shut up real quick!!! :BigSmile:

Gizzymom

Banned
I had a woman in a pet store ask with a snotty tone "WHAT is THAT?" I noticed a child in her cart, so I simply said... "this is a pet store and that is my cat... Now WHAT is THAT?" (pointing to her child). Silence.

I, like, Nofur, have no problem being rude if someone is rude to me first:Laugh:

BlueGirl

Lairian
I've been very lucky I guess and I've never had anyone be anything but amazed and appreciative of my sphynxies beauty, but then I have brightly dyed hair (purple and blue at the moment) so people who dont like the unushual tend to stay away from me anyway. But I have no qualms about being rude if someone would dare insult my cat. Insult me and I'll be hurt but keep my mouth shut, insult my baby and you better be prepared for fireworks.

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
People are just too rude sometimes! Everyone in my family loves Pedda and wouldn't dream of saying something mean about her, with the exception of the one cat-hating brother. Why is it that every family seems to have at least one dimwit? Anyways, at Christmas my bro (talking about Pedda) said she was the ugliest thing ever. I replied "She's bald and has a big pot belly. Kinda reminds me of you." We all had a good laugh at his expense!

TotenEngel

Banned
I guess I'm really lucky, the rudest thing anyone has said about Smeagol is 'he looks like a little alien' and there are times I wouldn't disagree! However, the woman who said that then came round, met him and fell in love with him!! All my friends on FB who are inundated with pictures of him have nothing but lovely things to say that make me the proud, obsessive mother that I am! Though I think they all know how defensive I'd get if they said anything rude about any of my cays!!
Again, like BlueGirl, we are odd looking family, my hiar is red and long at the front and black and shaved at the back and my husband has hair nearly to his bum, so everyone expects the strange from us!

I'd be tempted to say nothing, but just look them up and down and give them one of 'those' looks then walk away covering kitties ears!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How do you guys respond when people say your sphynx is "ugly", "the ugliest thing I've ever seen" , etc. It really is starting to annoy me.

Wondering how you all handle it or if you have any quick witted comebacks. :Smile:

I think my cat looks great. He does not have to shave his ugly hairy legs - does not have to pluck ugly bushy eyebrows - does not have to put on a pound of make up to cover ugly skin and does not have to go to a hairdresser to make his ugly hair pretty. He wakes up in the morning looking like this. What do you look like in the morning.

OOOOOOOPPPPPSSSSIE - feeling a little devilish.:Furious:

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had a woman in a pet store ask with a snotty tone "WHAT is THAT?" I noticed a child in her cart, so I simply said... "this is a pet store and that is my cat... Now WHAT is THAT?" (pointing to her child). Silence.

I, like, Nofur, have no problem being rude if someone is rude to me first:Laugh:

HA!!!! that totally cracked me up!!!! LOL.....very good!

bellasmom

Banned
Just fake cry! Like sob and see how bad you can make them feel. :) I am so evil, I know but a friend of mine got tired of people asking her when she was going to have kids so that's what she started doing. Got people to shut up real quick!!! :BigSmile:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

People say Bella is ugly and feels like a "shaved scrotum" :Angry:
Its super annoying and and yes they are being rude to me about MY child. I also like the "takes one to know one" come back even if it is childish.

kaoticharmony

Banned
When we first got Shiva people didn't say he was ugly.... they asked "What happened to your cat!!??" or "What kind of dog is that?". We resisted for a long time responding rudely...but after awhile that evil side creeps in and then someone says "What happened to your cat?" We came up with some pretty amazing stories.

Just remember never let your Persian sleep on top of the microwave (it could leak)
Keep your timid cat away from mirrors
Chemo is hell on cats
Keep your Nair and Neet on a high shelf
Some forms of baldness are contagious
and beware of the curse of the Sphynx..........

In the end we always explained that he was born hairless...

The only time I got upset was before I got Shiva. We were going through the waiting period. I had Shiva's picture hanging over my desk at work. One of the ladies I worked with just hated him for some reason. She kept calling him a "misfit". It wasn't just what she said it was the tone she used. "Why are you paying money for a misfit?! He should be put to sleep...he's defective....a misfit!!" As it worked out by the time we got Shiva I was no longer working there. I did take him in to meet my old boss, but we made sure the other woman wasn't there. We didn't want him to "feel" her.

We showed Shiva once and he nearly got his Championship title. The problem was one of the judges. He obviously hated Shiva. He picked him up like he was made of slime. You could tell he didn't want to touch him. He scored Shiva lower than low. Alice's dad was there (he loved Shiva). He even commented on what was the judge's problem?

Then there was Walmart in California. We had him with us when we stopped by to pick up a few things we paid for that they missed putting in our bags. It was late and cold. We had Shiva bundled up. We just had to go to the cashier and get our stuff...didn't even have to stand in line. Two of the employees started yelling at us to "get that dog out of here." We just had to walk about 50 feet in the store (who had previously okayed us bringing him in to buy him some dog clothes ...so we could size them). They were so damn rude!!!

Some people are just messed up...I figure it's their loss. I have know alot of cats in my time and Sphynxs are special. I have never met a cat like them. They are really like little people. Given time I've converted alot of anti-cat people into Sphynx lovers. Some people are just to afraid to open their hearts and to be honest...I wouldn't want my baby to know them either.

I have found that the positive responses surpass the bad ones by far.... like the little girl who wanted to see his belly...."Do cats have belly buttons?"

Last week I was in Walmart here in Aberdeen ...just me, no cats. This lady was helping me get these bags down. She asked what I used them for and we got into this discussion about cat litter. Her little boy was on the run and ran by and said "Mommy I want a hairless cat for Christmas!" His mother kinda looked at me and apologized... then I told her I had 3 and asked if I could give her son a picture of them? She was thrilled (and asked a million questions... the first being what are the chances he'd say that to someone who has one...) I had pictures (of course) so I gave him a few and he was smiling from ear to ear. She said they were looking into getting him one, but they wanted to wait until he was a little older.

I will never be without one in my life.

ktate88

Banned
People often say "he is so ugly he is cute." My least favorite was "What made you want THAT?" This came from a client with a persian mix. I wanted to say "Well, I don't like cat hair, but I didn't ask you what made you buy a shedding smoosh face." ....

Since Niles goes to work with me I can't always respond like I'd like, too, you know to preserve my job and client relations :Hysterical:

I'm not usually quick witted, or rude. I am blunt. I've never gone off on someone in a store, but I feel sure if someone catches me in a bad mood it may happen!!

Bella07

Banned
People often say "he is so ugly he is cute." My least favorite was "What made you want THAT?" This came from a client with a persian mix. I wanted to say "Well, I don't like cat hair, but I didn't ask you what made you buy a shedding smoosh face." ....

I used to own a Persian, and he lived to be 20 years old! He was my baby, such a beautiful boy. After he passed away, that is when I found the Sphynx breed....So, there's proof that someone can love both a hairless naked kitty and a smooshy longhair kitty! I have quite the taste cat breeds I suppose. I either love those naked kitties, or those draped in long fur with noses between the eyes :Laugh:

Back