Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sick Pheobe

Amanda Arnett

Lairian
We need some prayers sent our way. Pheobe was cold to the touch when I got her up this morning, has been lethargic and hasn't moved a lot today at all, and I don't have an appt with the vet until tomorrow morning (I can't afford the emergency vet in KZoo cause its outrageous even to walk in the door). Just really lost and hoping she pulls through!:cry:

Amanda Arnett

Lairian
Sweet little baby Pheobe passed over the rainbow bridge. :cry: I like to think I gave her a good three weeks while she was a part of our lives.

Lickleone

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Oh I'm so very very sorry (((((hugs))))))

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
OMG I am so sorry. I know you have not had her for long, but she entered your heart and you loved her beyond measure. There is no doubt in my mind she knew she was loved and wow that is everything she deserved. We are here for you.

Patti

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so very very sorry for your loss. Choking up here. Phoebe and yourself shared a beautiful and special connection of love for the time you were together. You gave her the best of her days. Hugs hugs hugs. Again, so very sorry.

Amanda Arnett

Lairian
Thank you all. I do want to know what everyone thinks about getting an autopsy done. I'm not sure how much it would be or if our vet even does it, but I'm just curious everyone's opinion...

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
If you have a contract with breeder that is very strong then it might be worth it. But I recall you mentioned breeder might be "shady" so chances of them taking care of you are slimmer. Did you contact breeder? Just know we all understand there is no way to replace your baby and the mark they left on your heart.

Patti

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
If you did not have a signed contract, then please do not worry about an autopsy. You can contact breeder but do not expect anything from them if they do not deal with contracts. It will do nothing but bring back negative vibes. Move forward and and know we are here for you. RIP Pheobe.

patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Amanda Arnett , I am so so sorry for your heart aching loss of precious Pheobe..
Sending ((( comforting hugs)))) I wish could help ease your heartache.
May she fly free and high and whole at the bridge with our angels...
She knew the best of love because of you and with you she has eternally ...
Pheobe is forever in your heart ..
My deepest condolences ...we are here for you

I truly believe to embrace Pheobe's special moments together ..

If you do contact the breeder, like I did in my own personal experience with ^Yoda Cat^ ..
Don't expect too much- it was a futile battle of calls that made me more upset..
I left the rest to Karma with my " shady" breeder..

I chose to treasure my precious love and memories close to my heart..
Your love for Pheobe will always be dear to your heart.. She was blessed with your love..hold tight to that love

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Amanda Arnett ,

Forever and Ever ...
Eventually they will understand,
Replied the glorious cat
For I will whisper into their hearts
That I am always with them
I just am....forever and ever and ever.
Poem for cats , author unknown

Fly free high and whole at the bridge sweet ^Pheobe^

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My goodness, how sad, my heart breaks for you. So sad.
I pray for comfort and peace for you. At least, she had the best of
life when she was with you.
That's the best you could have done for her.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
I'm so sorry for your loss. So sad you have to lose her after only a few weeks. Keep the memories of Pheobe in your heart.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Amanda Arnett ,
Very interesting ...
Are you considering taking the female she has left? If so, is this kitty being health checked First by a vet of your choice at no cost to you? I had Toby checked but it was done by the gal using a petsmart Banfield on line coupon for a free visit you can google and print out -
Also, is she charging you for this kitty ?

Go with you gut...
Whet are your thoughts?

Please please keep us updated
??? Is this the last one of 6 tan kitty pic posted on hoobly for $800?
Can you call and confirm with a vet she was checked and see legitimate documentation?

Last edited:

Amanda Arnett

Lairian
These are all my worries as well. My husband and I agree that we both cannot go through this again. I got in contact with my vet this morning and apparently there isn't much they can do, said if I wanted a full necropsy I would have to take her to MSU. And that's too much. I just want to lay her to rest in our flower bed out front, I have some bulbs that need planted that I can put over top of her so she always blooms. I would feel better if I knew what caused it all, so I would know if it could be treated if the next one happens to have it as well, or if this kitten was all just a fluke thing that happened. Idk my thoughts and emotions are all over the place. @Yoda mom

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Amanda Arnett I am happy to hear breeder is working with you. Please note you posted a screen print and it has your phone number on it for all to see. You might want to go back and edited that part out.

Patti

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I don't know if this will make you feel better but I'll share my experience with you. I adopted a kitty from a breeder here in Texas. I had to put him to sleep after only one month. I didn't get a necropsy nor did I get a contract. The vet was almost positive that he had contracted FIP. I told the breeder and she was very understanding. She promised to make it up to me. Losing a kitten after one month was devastating. After about a year, the breeder was finally in a position to offer me a new kitten which she did. She actually let me choose between three. That is how I ended up with Tom Sawyer. I couldn't be happier. Losing a kitten sure did suck but it's nice to know the breeder didn't leave me high and dry. The moral of the story is, I got lucky and Tom Sawyer's breeder was very understanding. She even let me visit and we would talk so it eased the blow. She didn't require expensive tests, she simply took my word for it. And frankly, that's how it should be. I wish you the best and hope your breeder does what he/she needs to make it right.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Good to hear the breeder is working together with you! Sometimes a little kitten won't make it, without it being anybodys fault. As sad as it is. If you trust the breeder and she willing to let the new girl checked by a vet and you "ready" for this girl I would do it. You never know, you can only do what you think and feel is for the best.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree. Sometimes kittens die. It's not necessarily the fault of the breeder. I don't think it's right to bash some breeders just because a kitten died. Yeah, it sucks but sometimes it just can't be avoided. You can do everything to avoid it but it still going to happen. I just hope the breeder does what she can to make it easier for everyone involved.

Amanda Arnett

Lairian
I guess at this point what will I loose? She's a replacement kitty and if she is healthy, could be around for a very very long time. I guess my only concern is this happening all over again.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Amanda Arnett , (((Hugs))) during this emotional time of loss...
IMHO, If she is reputable and doing the right thing.. She can call your vet for confirmation ^Pheobe^ got her angel wings without all the further tests ... Let her soul rest in Peace...in the beautiful memoire garden you describe..

^Pheobe ^ will send you the one to love to know the love she knew with you and your husband- whether it be this kitty or another..

I was so afraid to open my heart again after losing my baby so suddenly.. I was so afraid of opening my heart to the vulnerability of Sphynx love...

I decided like someone posted here on the lair.." It isn't love till you give it away..."
I could not imagine my heart n home with naked love...
And opened my heart and home again treasuring each day together

We are here to support you and your husband in what is best for you..
(((( comforting hugs)))

Amanda Arnett

Lairian
Thank you so much @Yoda mom I honestly can say I'm surprised that I'm so upset since we've only had her two weeks. But she definitely left a permanent place in our hearts. (And the kids are gonna be devastated). I got onto Pharaoh's breeder's website to see her available kittens and she has a black tabby that was born on my birthday. So we are throwing the idea around.