Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

*Sigh* Here I go again...

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My daughter and I went to our local pet store today, I had not been in it, in fact didn't even know it was a pet store, it says bait and tackle. I was horrified! there were roaches and mice running across our feet! The fish tanks were all slimy and green, the mice were fed only bread, the snakes were so thin you could see their spines sticking out, there was no AC in the place, and there was a dead bird in the cage, with a live bird, and rats eating it!!:Surprise: I called DHEC, DNR, health dept and animal control! All of them said they know about the place and they hate it, but there is nothing legally they can do!!! So me being me, lol, I called the news media again! They are going to try to come do a story on it this weekend, also my daughter snuck some pics, sorry they are not great, and we are sending them to all the newspapers. It's so wrong that they are allowed to treat animals like this!

The green lump behind the bird is a dead bird!
020-4.jpg

These are birds, look at the nasty water!
023-3.jpg

017-4.jpg

018-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

Bella07

Banned
Oh my gosh, that makes me sick to my stomach. How awful. How could they treat animals this way, much like run a business? Awful....Good for you for getting the news to do a story on it. I hope that the "Pet Store" is shut down once and for all.
Keep us updated on what happens :Cry:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's sickening. I just want to beat the snot out of the people supposedly caring for those poor critters.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
That is absolutley appauling! How can they even be in business. I would never buy from someone like that. How do they even stay in business! Good for you for telling the press, I hope they ruin them!

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is so cruel and disgusting. I really don't know how these people can get away with it. How do they sleep at night? They must have no consience

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
You guys don't know this because I don't talk about them here, but I'm a parrot owner. I think that is a little Quaker. They're illegal in my state because of the farming industry (if they form wild colonies they can obliterate crops). They are sweet little birds that like to build intricate nests. In the wild, they rent the "basement apartment" in the stick/twig nests of the Jaraboo Stork. In captivity you give them cut up drinking straws and they will go to town.

They are much too sweet to be in that condition! I could cry!

Hmmm...I need to talk to some bird people! Going to PM you!
I sent the pics to a friend affiliated with rescues. Please PM me the address of this store.

firehillqueen

Banned
Here in Texas someone took pictures with their cell phone of an exotic pet shop and sent them to the media who did their own investigation. The animal control came in an seized all the poor starving creatures and it was a huge new story. I hope something like this can happen here. I do believe we have a responsibility to stop this abuse. BULL that nothing can be done! Get the public outcry behind this!
Because of your information about Petco I will NEVER go in their store again.

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
I posted to 3 bird forums and here are the results:

One said if the ASPCA won'd do anything and if live and dead animals are housed together and the place is filthy, you should send the pics to HSUS as they can do something because it's a "health hazard". (I just worry they'd seize and destroy the "health hazards".) **I was just informed that HSUS is not a good resource if you want the animals rescued.**

Another said you can try to find out who licenses the pet store or bait and tackle shop and report it to them.

Another admonished me saying I shouldn't have asked the list for any help as it is clearly my responsibility not theirs...I told her point blank if you can't help don't hinder. She actually left me in tears.

Finally, one angel is on a list of people who get things done (she wouldn't say what list or how) but I forwarded the address to her. She said they have contacts in the Carolinas and she was sure they'd do everything they could to help. She's going to keep me updated if they do intervene and I told her let me know if they get them out and need food or toy donations.

I just pray something can be done...I know it's the ostrich with it's head in the sand but this is why I try to just stay far from rescue. I have no idea how to help and I just feel torn up and sick. I don't think I'll ever get that little Quaker's face out of my head. ...but don't feel bad about bringing it up Gadzuk...I don't mind getting a little emotional if it means those babies get OUT.

**Update: Another person who hosts an avian rescue list is cross posting. So maybe something good will happen.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Thanks for all your help monchat! I know what you mean, I try to avoid it if posssible, but somethings can not be ignored. I have talked to as many people as I can around here and they all say oh yeah that place is horrible someone should do something, but no one wants to actually DO it, lol.

I called our humane society, they said they know about it and hate it but legally can't do anything it's out of there jurisdiction. I called DHEC, and the health dept. they were horrified but again nothing legally they can do. They said if the store sold human products they could, but not pets.

Today I sent pics to all local media outlets, hoping for some good old public outrage!:Angry:

Disgusting! Thanks goodness there are people like you Gadzukz who will take action and you MonChat who will help find a way to rescue! I love how so many people on here will help those who cannot be heard. Hopefully someone can rescue the wee Quaker. Keep us posted on what happens!

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Got this response from PETA:

Hi, I’m writing regarding your message to us on June 5th regarding the terrible conditions at Fish and Pets. We had law enforcement do a wellness check at this establishment, and the deputy stated that he found nothing of concern. In order to pursue this further, we really need some documentation of the conditions you’ve seen; could you please send us photos of what you saw at the pet store? Thank you so much for your obvious compassion, and I look forward to hearing from you!

:Angry::Angry:Nothing of concern?????? Good thing I got pics! Let me find out who that deputy is!!!:Angry::Angry::Angry::Angry:

Last edited by a moderator:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
They probably only drove by the place. I seriously doubt they went inside and saw things the way these pictures were showing. Goodluck...I hope they nab these fellas.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Oh they went inside! I saw the car there. it is a very small town, I am betting they knew the store owners. My husband is going to talk to the sheriff tomorrow! I love him!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thats good your hubby knows the sheriff. They are probably cleaning up big time tho or will have some lame excuse for PETA.

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
I heard through the grapevine that people in that area have said it's always been a dirty store but has declined significantly since the original owner died.

Treespirit

Lairian
How is there nothing they can do?!!! When there is a freakin' dead bird in the cage?!!!!!! It makes me sick when people have birds and do not care for them properly (stores or as pets). This sickens me. I used to do the rounds at local pet stores to see just how horrible they can be, but my stomach and heart just can't take it anymore. :Angry::Cry:

zoes mom

Lairian
Very sad, I hate hearing of filthy conditions in pet store etc:Angry: thank-you for caring enough to do more than say a horrible store and just walk away. Everyone should be concerned imagine if a little child goes and takes one of these animals home....who knows what illness they could have or bring to other animals in the home let alone humans!! It should soooo be looked at as a health concern for everyone! Small towns are the worst for getting away with running a business in horrible conditions:ThumbsDown:

QwertysMama

Lairian
And people think I'm crazy for liking my cat more than most humans. Why? Because some humans are repulsive.
These people should be ashamed of themselves.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Re: *Sigh* Here I go again... **update**

Okay, I made a mistake, turns out that the "dead bird" was a stuffed toy:Surprise: The deputy that went in thought it was a dead bird also and made them dig it out and show him, it was half buried under cage mess and old poop and food so it was a legitimate mistake, but one I should not have made. I am sorry for that. He also said the place was filthy and told them they have to clean it, which they have done. I am still monitoring it, the snakes are still hungry and the birds are still overcrowded. Sooooo, maybe things are getting cleaner, which is a good thing, but they still have miles to go. Thank you all so much for your concern, and I am sorry for the dead bird error:Pudently:

Back