Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin bumps/rash

kellymew

Lairian
Hi everyone long time reader, first time poster.

I've had Mew for 4 months now, and in the last couple he's developed a bumpy rash. It used to be all over his body too. We took him to the vet who thought he was pretty yeasty, gave him an anti-inflammatory shot and some cream. We also thought his skin may not like synthetic fabrics in his sweaters so now he has some cotton shirts and they seem fine. The breeder also advised me on a grain free diet so we changed that up, too. The cream seems to work and the rash goes away, but then it comes back in patches in other areas of his body. Most recently it was on his face, but now that's cleared up it's on the back of his head. It doesn't seem to bother him but this time it seems kind of swollen.

We've changed washing detergents, food, clothes, blankets, litter (clumping litter). I don't know what else to do ☹️

He seems happy and energetic otherwise and is fine with me touching it.

IMG20181014103433.jpg

IMG20181014103434.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Did your vet say anything about a possible staph infection? Perhaps they can do a skin scrape to see if it is an allergy etc?

kellymew

Lairian
Did your vet say anything about a possible staph infection? Perhaps they can do a skin scrape to see if it is an allergy etc?
I've asked about doing allergy testing but he said not to bother as it's apparently really expensive, but he hasn't mentioned a staph infection. Maybe I'll get an opinion from another vet :/

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
A second opinion is always a good idea. If it is allergies and you can afford testing, it helps eliminate issues in the future saving money in the long run. Please keep updating this thread @kellymew as your experience will no doubthelp others in the future.

Back