Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin/ Coat Question

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok, Now that we have Newman I am remembering Kramer when we got him. He had (like Newman does now) hair/ more fuzz on his feet then he does now, we also noticed he is losing it on his tail too. I have never watched a Sphynx grow constantly grow up; only see them here & there coming into the vet so I wouldn't have noticed such a small change in the coat. Does this normally happen or can it?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Yes this happens, depends on climate, hormones and can change while growing up, Happens when the kittens are first born, they have some fuz but are now super bald!

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok cool; we were looking at Newman & looking at Kramer & I was like Kramer used to have hair there. I knew it wasn't a medical thing but didn't know if it was normal process for them... I assumed it was but wanted to make sure!

skudra

Lairian
Alexx has more fur on his nose, I love it :Adore: but I've seen lots of sphynx has it there. but all over the other body the same. We were also told that when it gets colder, they grow up a bit more fur on that time.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
When I first got Meecho she had a body full of hair and now she just has the fuzz on her feet. Here's a pic when I first got her and now. She still gets the stray hairs on her back and tail too.

Attachments

• P1010090.jpg
    P1010090.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_1228.jpg
    100_1228.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 41

Brooke

Banned
I don't know about Walter as a kitten (I got him at age 2) but when I got him, he was prickly and his tail was really furry. Then I switched his food to Science Diet and all the fur went away. About a month ago, I started feeding him canned food along with his dry food, and all of his tail fur grew back! Weird, huh?

I'll be changing the food again in a couple of weeks because Nelson can't eat Science Diet, so I'll be curious to see what it does to Walter's tail...his fur is growing in curly, too. It's cute and soft, I like it. The other 3 are still totally bald.

My friends joke that Walter isn't really a sphynx, that he goes in the bathroom and shaves so that I'll keep him and that's why he feels pricklier than the other 3 cats! :LOL:

nbolin

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Kreacher has fur on his nose, ears, paws, and tail...this has been like this throughout hiss kitty hood. But he's only 6 months so hopefully some of it will come out. His tail kinda creeps me out sometimes :)

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
all my cats have alittle hair on their tails, nose, and paws but Sanura is starting to get a lot of hair just at the tip of her tail....I'm considered shaving it.

Brooke

Banned
Brooke,

have you had any more observations about diet and fur?

It's hard to say...I switched all the cats to raw food (because of Nelson's problems with food) and Walter continues to be pretty furry on his feet and tail, he might even be fuzzier than he was before, but we are getting into the cold season so I don't know if I can blame the food. He definitely had the least amount of fur when he was eating Science Diet dry food only. I have to say, I don't mind his fur, it makes his awesome tabby stripes show up better!

None of my other cats' hairlessness seems to be affected by what they eat, but they are almost totally bald, even on their feet and tails.

Maximus

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Scrotie has velvet like fuzz all over his back. He is sticky bald on his neck and tummy. His face, feet, and tail are pretty furry....I'm wondering if this will change with neutering?

Last edited by a moderator:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Scrotie has velvet like fuzz all over his back. He is sticky bald on his neck and tummy. His face, feet, and tail are pretty furry....I'm wondering if this will change with neutering?

Kramer was like that he got balder after the neuter then as he gets older he got even more balder but not sticky bald on his back (thank god... i like a little fuzz)

Brooke

Banned

Walter wasn't neutered when I got him (he was 2 years old) and he had just about the same amount of hair he has now (or maybe a little bit less?)...he's been neutered for 6 months so I would have seen a change by now if that was going to do it. I'm not saying it won't change with Scrotie, it just didn't seem to have any effect on Walter's hairlessness.

Back