Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin Condition

Bulf6285

Lairian
Hi, I joined this forum to try and get some feedback from other owners. My cat, Ernie, has a skin condition that my vet can't seem to nail down. He his overly dry, red and irritated. There are dark brown patches all over him, especially in between his toes. He is obviously uncomfortable. My vet gave me a cortizone shampoo to use, and said to moisturize him afterwards. This Doesn't really help.

Anyone else come across this?

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I hope that Ernie gets to feeling better. I personally don't have any advice, but I am sure someone can help you here.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, I joined this forum to try and get some feedback from other owners. My cat, Ernie, has a skin condition that my vet can't seem to nail down. He his overly dry, red and irritated. There are dark brown patches all over him, especially in between his toes. He is obviously uncomfortable. My vet gave me a cortizone shampoo to use, and said to moisturize him afterwards. This Doesn't really help.

Anyone else come across this?

Hi and welcome! If you can show us some pics we could get A better idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragynflye

Lairian
red/brown between the toes is usually yeast. does it smell kinda like bread? try an over the counter cream like monostat... that usually helps.

Bulf6285

Lairian
I'll get some pics as soon as I can, in the meantime, I'll research the yeast.
Thanks Everyone for the quick responses. Without delving too far into my story. I had two of these guys until recently. They were both diagnosed with FIP, and Petie, my other cat had to be put to sleep within a week of the diagnosis. However, after the autopsy, my vet said he doesn't think it was FIP, just some other infectious disease. Since then, Ernie has shown no signs of illness (which is odd, because he was diagnosed first, over 8 months ago), Other than the skin irritation. So I;m keeping my fingers crossed for him, obviously.
In the meantime, this skin problem is really irritating him.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bulf6285 and welcome to Sphynxlair! Yes pictures would help. Do you bathe your sphynx weekly? have you changed your cat's diet or shampoo recently? The sphynx cat's skin is oily and can accumulate dirt in certain areas like between the toes, redness and rash can also be caused by heat (like laying on a heated surface etc.)or laying in the sun perched on a window. You can also do a search on sphynxlair, we have had many members with sphynx that had skin conditions.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I'll get some pics as soon as I can, in the meantime, I'll research the yeast.
Thanks Everyone for the quick responses. Without delving too far into my story. I had two of these guys until recently. They were both diagnosed with FIP, and Petie, my other cat had to be put to sleep within a week of the diagnosis. However, after the autopsy, my vet said he doesn't think it was FIP, just some other infectious disease. Since then, Ernie has shown no signs of illness (which is odd, because he was diagnosed first, over 8 months ago), Other than the skin irritation. So I;m keeping my fingers crossed for him, obviously.
In the meantime, this skin problem is really irritating him.

Pictures will help greatly. Be cautious about using OTC creams not meant for cats. Many of them, monostat for example, can be toxic if consumed. Feet are cleaned very frequently in cats, so you must bear the utmost caution in using something like this. ONLY use something OTC under the direction of your veterinarian.

Lori Kater

Lairian
Has anyone ever seen this before and if so, what is it? Lorelei is chewing at it, got an email into the vet tonight and will follow-up with him tomorrow morning...

Attachments

• 20130102_201342.jpg
    20130102_201342.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20130102_201352.jpg
    20130102_201352.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 118

Nofuratu

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Has anyone ever seen this before and if so, what is it? Lorelei is chewing at it, got an email into the vet tonight and will follow-up with him tomorrow morning...

staph infection?
Definetely vet visit worthy! Keep us posted and good luck!

SpartisMommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
It seems like this my 3rd post in 24 hrs referencing my Scarlett lol. I guess I can be thankful she came to me with so many issues so now I can pass on a little bit of knowledge :)

She was in the same condition red and irritated horrible brown crusty spots on feet and neck. My vet gave her prednisone steroid pills every day for 5 days then 2x a week for 2 weeks. Cleared her up pretty good. He said she had bad allergies. Hope that helps and discuss a steroid with the vet. Some are against it but when antibiotics just don't cut it you need to try something stronger. You might be able to look back at past posts of mine and see her skin issues before we got it under control. Good luck :)

Lori Kater

Lairian
Vet did a Leukemia & FIV test -negative
Did skin scraping (mange/mites) none present
Sent home with Clavamox twice daily for 14 days
Pyoben gel 5%-1 oz topical
Appears to be bacteria/dermatitis
He also expressed her anal glands
She is so spunky and weighs 5.7 lb
when I got her on 12/17 she was 4.9 lb so she is growing....:)

Margo Marie

Lairian
"Vet did a Leukemia & FIV test -negative
Did skin scraping (mange/mites) none present
Sent home with Clavamox twice daily for 14 days
Pyoben gel 5%-1 oz topical
Appears to be bacteria/dermatitis"

Could it be irritated ringworms? Its fungal, not parasitic. When I first got my sphynx (rescue) she was covered in them, the vet gave a shampoo that didnt work, so I went to a homeopathic vet.

Bethanymcn

Lairian
It seems like this my 3rd post in 24 hrs referencing my Scarlett lol. I guess I can be thankful she came to me with so many issues so now I can pass on a little bit of knowledge :)

She was in the same condition red and irritated horrible brown crusty spots on feet and neck. My vet gave her prednisone steroid pills every day for 5 days then 2x a week for 2 weeks. Cleared her up pretty good. He said she had bad allergies. Hope that helps and discuss a steroid with the vet. Some are against it but when antibiotics just don't cut it you need to try something stronger. You might be able to look back at past posts of mine and see her skin issues before we got it under control. Good luck :)
Any way you could send me a pic ?? My little Marley seems to have this problem and i want to see if it looks the same. Taking him to the vet Monday

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
@Bethanymcn this is a old thread from 2013. Can you share a pic with us, as we have seen many skin issues over the years and might be able to help more by seeing the actual issue on your baby. Here is a link to a thread you might find handy as well. Sphynx Skin Conditions

Patti

Bethanymcn

Lairian
@Bethanymcn this is a old thread from 2013. Can you share a pic with us, as we have seen many skin issues over the years and might be able to help more by seeing the actual issue on your baby. Here is a link to a thread you might find handy as well. Sphynx Skin Conditions

Patti
Thanks! Some reason this older thread came up when i was searching guess it would help if i read the date too :) lol. Still new to the site alot of useful information and friendly people :happy: ! Thanks for the link! Here are a couple pictures... Ive done alot of online serching and there are so many different things it could be! He is quite healthy besides this sudden brwaj out:(
20161014_164111.jpg

20161014_164054.jpg

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Best guess and I am not a vet is the litter is causing this reaction or a yeast infection. Is it only the feet? What litter are you using? After you bathe how quickly do you see this come back? How often do you bathe?

About the older date of the thread no biggie...great to see you are researching older threads as a resource.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member

Bethanymcn

Lairian
Thanks Patti and Yoda Mom!
I bathe Marley about once a week.. He has always had a build up on the nail that seems to come back a day after cleanings. This is the first time he has ever had a reaction on his paws like this. I noticed the break out about 5 days ago...It has infected his two front paws badly. Back right paw has a small area... Chest and underbelly a little yeasty but nothing alarming.
The litter I use is ExquisiCat all natural paper pellet litter..I have used this litter before but recently switched back about a month or two ago..... The only other household change that could possibly effect him is i took out the air conditioner like 2 weeks ago???
As soon as i saw suggestions on Dr.Elsey's cat litter I changed it out.(i love the litter i can tell the quality differance already!) I baught some fungal shampoo and treated him as well.... Unfortunately it says i can only treat once a week (n) Comes back the next day ....
So i am hoping that the litter was the cause! I am trying to see the vet tomorrow... The vets around here dont know much about sphynx cats and are extremly pricey!! All the info i get really helps !!
Thanks
-Bethany
20160923_141854.jpg Marley snoozing rn :cat:

Back