Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Skin conditions & Yeast

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I wanted to share this as I have seen similar threads on here before....

After Gus came home he started getting black speckles on his back and his belly which spread. I spoke to 3 separate vets who told me it wasn't yeast or a skin condition because it wasn't red or itchy and it was just his pigmentation. They refused to do a skin scraping to check.

A friend recommended the medicated shampoo Malaseb, and after 2 months of applying it for 10 minutes during a bath twice a week, well... see for yourself.

39F59B87-A4F0-4DB0-9BA5-A502AC5B5897.jpg

If you have a black sphynx with these markings to recommend trying it out. Gus's skin has never been clearer.

(FYI: This is a medicated shampoo and not suitable for regular use on cats without skin issues)

Hope this helps members in a similar boat (y)

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow i know right?! Makes me wonder if it's just most noticeable on black skin.... I wonder how it can look on a pink sphynx when it's not red and itchy like in our case.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
So many freckles and splotches on darker babies....must be about pigmentation. Lighter babies who are white/cream have less noticeable marks ...btw...he is so handsome!

zoinks

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow thank you! I didn't post about it much on here but we had so many problems with his health so far. Luckily we finally have everything under control. Poor little guy is tiny at only 6lbs but he is happy and active now at least!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@zoinks , I was following up to find your great post amd pics with shampoo suggestion

((Hugs)))

Thanks for sharing! I have been searching all of the skin threads to pinpoint what we are dealing with currently. I think it has been going on for a couple months (and yes we have been seeing the vet also) Aggie has had this red bump rash, it was only on her belly, underarms and groin areas (pics attached). We thought it was her food, did a food change; thought it was her litter and changed that also. I have been washing her bedding more frequently with hypoallergenic laundry soap. Was on antibiotics twice to no avail and medicated baths, with Duoxo Chlorhexidine
Finally, we did a skin scrape and she was diagnosed with yeast infection on her skin. She finished her steroid dose (during which, her skin cleared completely) and medicated baths. I am going to increase her baths to twice weekly as it has returned only slightly in her armpits. The shampoo we are currently on is Phytovet CK Antiseptic Shampoo made by HenrySchein it has Chlorhexidine 2% Ketoconazole 1% and Phytosphingosine 0.05% but may have to switch.

Attachments