Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin Conditions

wright878

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Does anyone know anything about (please excuse the spelling) ulterated dermatitis? What causes it and what is the best way to prevent it? Abby has recovered from spot on her neck, but I want to make sure she doesn't have any future problems. The vet said some cats just have a problem with it. Thanks for any advice.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Are you, perhaps, describing urticaria pigmentosa? If so, steroids, medicated baths and antihistamines can help. There is another member on this forum who's cat has been diagnosed with UP that may be able to give light in to how they've been treating their own cat. In most cases, there's no prevention because this is a disease caused by the immune system. Therefore, steroids and antihistamines can help substantially--although there are risks involved.

We can be of more help if you post pictures. Sunburns, as you mentioned in your first post that your companion had, should go away within a few days and can be prevented by applying a cat-safe sunscreen to your companion or keeping them out of the sun. Lighter cats are predisposed to this condition, not necessarily darker cats. If this is a repetitative problem, you may be looking at UP or some form of contact dermatitis, as alot of our companions actually are extremely sensitive. I have a single cat, Buck, who is my lightest that develops a sunburn (we've tinted our lower windows in our house to ensure he will not become sunburned) within just a few minutes of exposure. His skin is also so very sensitive that when he cleans his face, the skin around his eyes begins to swell.

Each cat is different but, as I mentioned, pictures can help us greatly in helping you find a cause for your companion's problems and can help us with our recommendations. A good number of us have problems with skin issues in our cats, it's pretty common with this breed.

Good luck :)

Back