Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin Irritation... ahhh

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hey y’all! It’s been awhile since we’ve posted. Kenzo & Minka are as in love as ever, and are the best of friends!

Unfortunately, I noticed a rather angry looking rash/irritation on Minka’s neck this morning.

Both my nakeds wear breakaway collars l. I usually wipe down their neck area every couple days, and then remove their collars every 2 weeks to wash them thoroughly (sphynx grime tends to build up on the inside). Usually, I wash the collars with Hylyt shampoo, however, this time, I experimented with pure virgin coconut oil as well. I put a small amount of coconut oil on their necks, tails, and toes. Kenzo had no reaction, but Minka suddenly looks a mess! It was my first time using coconut oil on her.

Has anyone seen this kind of reaction from coconut oil? I removed her collar, sprayed the area with Vetrycin, and then applied some AD ointment on the spots in an attempt to reduce scarring. If I don’t see significant healing in the next 48 hours, it’s off to the vet we go!

Update photos taken Tuesday:
546CC2B6-C77E-41A2-BC00-2D16D18B3B5F.jpeg
56C4F1FD-C13E-4F3A-9335-C8989272876D.jpeg

Photos of her neck today:
F0AB4E3F-B1A4-48A1-8643-2D946822B747.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica healing vibes sent
Mine go collarless
Tagging @Catzzzmeow who has breakaway collars for advice

Head smooches sent
Following for updates

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow it sounds like she may have a sensitivity to coconut oil. I’d definitely steer clear in the future. Maybe go with olive oil instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Oh poor Minka. My boy Ross did have a similar rash after washing him with coconut oil twice now. If I only use a tiny bit to clean his nose, he's okay. But if I use it more on more areas he gets a rash. The rash goes away after 2-3 days. Hope Minka'a rash will go away soon too

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica ome of my adoptees came eothwith a tube of Entederm ointment in case needed .
I used it a few times on a fromt leg amd it worked great - never had to use it again

Perhaps you can ask your vet if it would be indicated for sweet Minka?
@Bailey21 tagging you to share the Entederm ointment if the vet thinks it would be beneficial for Raven

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank y’all for the tips. I also found another spot on the base of her tail (another area I applied the coconut oil). I definitely think it’s a reaction to the coconut oil. I’m so frustrated with myself because I never use that on them normally! I had been doing a coconut oil mask on my own hair, and decided to share the love. Poor Minka.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Sounds like you figured out what is causing the reaction. You live and you learn with these guys. It should heal very fast.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You really can’t predict allergies, they just sneak up on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Yoda mom thank you for the ointment recommendation. I will mention that to the vet when if it doesn't clear and we have to go back!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Monica hello
Checking in on sweet Minka
{{{hea,omg vibes }}}}}

Ps
I can’t help but look at her adorable face pic - her face markings look like she is wearing lipstick

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Monica looks like you found the cause of the irritation. My Agnes has a sensitivity to coconut oil as well. I found out the hard way after using it on her. Unfortunately, my girl has quite a few sensitivities I am learning. That's what we do with these guys though.

p.s. they are adorable!!

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, I agree it looks like a contact allergic reaction.
If you want to use an oil on them try argan or emu. But, since you know she has contact allergies try a little test spot.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you everyone! It was without a doubt a reaction to coconut oil. I also found irritation between her toes! I continued treating the areas, and thankfully, they are nearly completely healed. Where the bumps were, the skin is lighter than normal, but they’re no longer inflamed, scabbed or raised! I guess we live and we learn.

@Yoda mom Unfortunately, her lips were actually just dirty with food, lol. I didn’t notice until I was editing the lighting, but they were too cute not to share. Plus, she’s extremely hard to catch on camera... it’s like taking photos of a hummingbird.
On a similar note, she is the messiest eater I’ve ever witnessed, and she hardly ever grooms herself. :p Luckily, Kenzo is very much into keeping her, and himself, clean!