Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin issues, pyoderma?

emerik

Lairian
Hello first poster here

i have my little baby Botsman since 5 months, we got him 2 months old and he already had that inflammation on his face, the previous owner said he got scratched by his mom or something and she really didnt seem concerned. fast forward to now, our baby still deal with that, checking up with a vet all the time, hes really nice and follow up with me, he did a skin collection with glass to see if theres any bacteria or stuff he thought it would be, but nothing came up. Botsman was also on antibiotic and topical cream, 2 times with 2 different sorts, and it did nothing really.

the thing is, he live with it, he doesn't seem in pain, but from time to time, hes gonna scratch the spot and make himself bleed heavily. this seem to be random, he could go 2 weeks without scratching and be normal and then scratch himself 2 times in one day. Lately ive been putting the cone of shame on him all the time so he doesn't scratch, its a really small one and he got used to it, sleep well and play well.

last week the vet told me were gonna to check if this is a food allergy, to chicken ( we were already using grain free dry food), so he put him on duck and green peas vet hills. lets hope its that, but im thinking that is pyoderma, it really look similar, this thing can apparently result from food allergy?

im a little bit skeptical cause botsman seem to like all food, he come to us everytime we eat fruit, veggies etc, and his poops are normal, even on the chicken dry food. never had any problem with vomiting or stuff like that

he never had any other spot, the rest of his skin is perfect.

anyone have an opinion on the matter?

heres the album;
botsman skin issue

Attachments

• 30707045_10156297648526613_2170164734635016192_n.jpg
    30707045_10156297648526613_2170164734635016192_n.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 30739615_10156297648766613_3041537036906397696_n.jpg
    30739615_10156297648766613_3041537036906397696_n.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 30740928_10156297648641613_5815035451316109312_n.jpg
    30740928_10156297648641613_5815035451316109312_n.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 221

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Poor kitty. Sorry, I don't have any answers for you. I'm just bumping your post.

Do you have any photos of how it looked when he first came home? Has it always been that big, or has it grown in size?

Hopefully, another more experienced Lairian will have some advice/answers for you!

emerik

Lairian
i think it was always this big, it didn't change in size, never got worse or better,
at least he doesn't seem to be in pain, he act like a normal kitty.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@emerik , Welcoming you and your handsome Botsman to the lair family

A lair full of healing vibes sent!
So sorry you are dealing with this -
I am glad you reached I'm for us to chime in with our experiences you can share with your vet .

Which antibiotics amd ointments were prescribed ?
I ask because somee antibiotics do not work as well with sphynx

My go to antibiotic I have had best results with my sphynx is "doxycline "
Many of us also keep on hand Vetericyn spray or vetericyn hydrogel
- it is non toxic
I use Vetericyn on my kitties nicks or skin scrapes as well as the dogs hot spot he gets on his head or face from time to time - it does look similar to Botsman skin -
Does his skin get oozy ?

You can ask your vet if it would be okay to use Vetericyn wetted on a flat cosmetic 100% cotton pad amd dabbed on ?
Or perhaps if a few drops of povidone mixed in water until clear amd gently dabbed on the area a few times a day would help ? We can't diagnosis but can share our experiences you can discuss with your vet if it would be indicated for Botsman to give some relief

What was the vets diagnosis?
My vet will call and consult with colleagues when dealing with certain perplexing issues .
Perhaps a second opinion?

Fwiw I did switch my dogs food and the chronic hot spot went away .
My vet did not allergy test suggesting we could get false positives
So I went the elimination diet trial
It can take several weeks to see if a change of food is working

Several members have switched to natural balance pea and dick with good success

I will be following closely for updated ok sweet Botsman
What a good boy Wearing his come of shame

((Hugs))) skin issues can be so frustrating we know all to well

Sphynx Skin Conditions

Wound & Skin Care - Vetericyn Animal Wellness

Be sure to scroll to bottom of pages for "similar threads"
Or the top right search box for specific searches

emerik

Lairian
@Yoda mom
yeah i did look at mostly all the thread before posting but havent seen anything similar,

i dont remember the anti-biotic i've used but right now the cream left is
VIADERM-KC. which doesnt seem to be doing anything (used it for 2-3 weeks)
to me it really look like PYODERMA which can be from food allergy and others reasons,
but this and hot spot look really similar?? im gonna give a go to the product you recommended

the skin is not oozy at all , never been, its just there.

the vet did consult with a dermatologist but nothing they thought it was came back positive.
Even the skin collecting didn't do anything. mo fungus or anything

i was thinking going to another clinic to have a second opinion.. my vet has 2 sphynx cats though..

Yoda mom

Staff member
I will look tomorrow at some of the prescriptions I have had for them amd you can ask your vet
If it would help
I believe it was entederm

I would ask about doxcycline too

A second opinion may be a good idea for fresh eyes on this frustrating skin issue
Is there a training vet university in your area - they are often helpful too

Yoda mom

Staff member
@emerik , I have used this woth good results
You can ask your vet

EnteDerm Ointment for Dogs and Cats | Cheap EnteDerm Ear Care | Allivet Pet Pharmacy
(I know this is US but wanted to share the product info )

I adopted a kitty that came with a tube of Entederm Ointment

Vetericyn also has A vetericyn VF (vet formula) that was a little harder to find online but it is supposedly a bit stronger than The regular vetericyn plus .
I have and both work good

How long has Botsman been on the new food duck and Pea?

Will check in more tomorrow

Last edited:

emerik

Lairian
@Yoda mom the new food has been introduced last friday, too soon to tell yet

yeah ill try vetericyn and this other ointment, all those kind of ointments are the same but sometime a cat will not react to certain one right?

30725641_10156299169381613_3768014889415606272_n.jpg

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It could be food related since it's on his face. Here is the problem I see though. You switched him from a chicken diet to duck, but what if what he's allergic to isn't the meat but some additive? The additive is going to be in both. This is why for suspected allergies it's usually recommended to feed raw or homemade food, so you can control what goes in it.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@emerik , awhhh Botsman is such a good boy with his cone

All paws crossed the duck food formula food helps clear things up

I have had great success in the past woth duck formulas
Yes too early to tell , I was told at least 12 weeks for food trials

Definitely agree different meds and ointments can work differently on each kitty
What is the name of the ointment ? Are they from your sphynx owning vet ( always a plus to have a vet familar with the breed )
Can your vdt send pics to a vet colleague for their opinion ?

Positve healing vibes ! Will be following closely for updates

emerik

Lairian
@Yoda mom
the ointment is VIADERM-KC , emailed my vet and he seem to say since botsman didnt react to ointment and antibiotic that its not bacteria.... im gonna try to tell him to maybe try more different meds, but he said he wanna see with the food first for at least 4 weeks.

and yes the sphynx owning one

also he said not to try Vetericyn right now and stick with food allergy, i think imma still go ahead and buy it

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@emerik , sounds like a plan - these skin things can be so stubborn amd seem like forever at times to get resolution -
Been there done that with my dog - know we are sending a lair full of Positve vibes !
So cool you have a vet with 2 sphynx amd have a treatment plan

Head smooches

Look forward to Positve updates!

Ps- just a thought , does Botsman sneak or get any people food or packaged kitty treats?

Fwiw, I cut out all packaged kitty treats - I know baaaad momma -
I actually feed hills science diet urinrary hariball formula as treats .
( started feeding this food when when my adoptee went to the vet for a urinary infection amd refused to eat the vet sold food ) now it's given as treats .

Psehaps use the same new duck formula food as treats too ?

Thanks for sharing his picture - Botsman is just so handsome

emerik

Lairian
@Yoda mom yeah thats what i did, bought the same thing as treat
he does sneak and try to get food from us everytime we eat, i normally just give him sometime little bit of cucumber, or veggies

im thinking that since he has that before from previous owner and that she was using

same old food as me,
same litter as me
Same shampoo as me

it could be allergy related to one of those product.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@emerik ,
I really like Hylyt shampoo - soap free hypoallergenic easy rinse
It's sold at my vets office and online
Many of us spa day with Hylyt

Is there anything in your home that he consistently rubs his face against ?
Just trying to think outside the box of usually culprits to skin issues
((Hugs)))

emerik

Lairian
@Yoda mom good good, tbh hes always pretty good, and no he doesnt rub his face against anything. he just had a his cone all day again , o just made it the smallest possible so its not annoying for him and that he still cannot scratch.

emailed my vet today a bit and ask questions around and he said that since botsman responded a little bit to dexamethasone ( made the spot a tiny less bigi think) and that he saw a lot of eosinophils with rubbing, hes almost 100% its a hyper sensibility reaction to an allergen

emerik

Lairian
@Yoda mom thanks, scab thing seem less elevated, less red, vet put him super low dose of dexamethasone to help with the scratching while we try the food diet change

Schrodinger

Lairian
Food trials take from 6-8 weeks to get a response, so it's probably too early to say if it's a food allergy. Also keep in mind that a food trial needs to be strict for you to really know if it's a food allergy or not. That means Botsman really can't have anything to eat except the d/d duck and green pea foods and treats. He shouldn't be getting any other treats or any flavored medications. It can be tough to perform an accurate food trial, because if he eats something he shouldn't, you have to reset the clock back to 0 on those 6-8 weeks.

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sending massive hugs and best wishes I can't help in this area but I know you have been given sound advice
Please please keep us up dated
❤️❤️❤️❤️xxx

emerik

Lairian
still no update on botsman, its not better not worse, still keeping the cone,

on another note we just moved out yesterday and botsman is so clingy , he was kinda always like that but now its crazy
cant lock im in another big room without him crying and meowing, which make it hard for us to kinda have intimate moment...

at night he needed to sleep with us and chew his tail on our back, and we though moving out without roomate would mean we can close our beedroom door and sleep well haha.

ive managed to put his heated bed same height as us next to our bed at our feet which seem to be good for him as hes close to us, but he still try to come in bed with us , had to tuck him right back in bed 10 times at least last night at different hour

i wonder if the move is stressing him, oh well hell get used to it he have more space to run around freely now

emerik

Lairian
this is getting out of hand, he scratched himself again

i dont know what to do anymore to be honest.

my vet is just telling me to try the diet but its been 3 weeks and thing like that still happen, i feel like we need to do something ASAP this is really not normal.

it just seem like a dormant thing and then from days to days hes gonna try to scratch himself

Attachments

• 31895395_10214725318299809_8992799874369978368_n.jpg
    31895395_10214725318299809_8992799874369978368_n.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 124
Back