Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin issues

Rfdkitty89

Lairian
I have 3 cats. Bella (fuzzy tail and back) Gollum (bicolour male), and Pinki (solid female). Ive recently noticed they are developing some sort of rash and/or have scratches from what I’m assuming is itchy skin. My thought is maybe it’s an allergic reaction to laundry detergent. In my opinion the rashes on each of them don’t even look the same? I was wondering if anyone here has an idea on what is happening to their skin and if this is normal. I never noticed anything until it became much colder this winter so they all wear sweaters. The vet says it’s dry skin that’s causing the skin issue but I’m not too convinced. The area is very dry but the cream provided by the vet isn’t helping. Should I ask the vet to do skin scrapings if environmental changes don’t help? Thank you, any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Perhaps try not using the sweaters. They stay plenty warm if you have loads of blankets out. You say you wonder if it is the detergent. If you recently changed detergent, I’d go back to the other one. Also not sure if you use them, but dryer sheets often irritate them.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
To me it looks like dry skin too. Try using argan oil on them. It won't make them greasy it is a light oil that absorbs quickly. Make sure you get 100% argan oil. It is okay if they lick it. And yes, give them some naked time and let their skin breathe. Plus they need to groom themselves.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeah definitely looks like dry skin. If you must clothe them, try using an all natural detergent like 7th Generation. Less likely to irritate. Definitely use some oil on them. It would not her to supplement meal time with a little salmon oil or sardine oil as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rfdkitty89

Lairian
Perfect thank you for the replies. Yes we had changed laundry detergents and didn’t realize that the cats blankets and sweaters could be affected by the scented soap. They also sleep in the comforter that’s on my bed which was washed with the same scented soap. I just picked up a hypoallergenic soap that is completely free of dyes and scent. I looked for the reccomended 7th generation soap and could not find it but (I live in Canada so not sure if it’s sold here) I also picked up dryer sheets that are hypoallergenic.
Where would I find salmon and/or 100% argan oil? I checked my local Walmart but will try the pet store tomorrow. I was unsure where this product would be sold. Is it specifically for cats?

I’m not sure if it’s relevent but I have them all on ‘merrick limited ingredient’ cat food and I use a hypoallergenic shampoo for cats.

Pinki’s rash seemingly went away overnight. Now it’s just darker pigmentation and some dry skin. I’m using the Vetericyn currently as I’ve heard it’s best for cuts and scrapes. I always have blankets out but they seem to be drawn to the heater vents on the floor. I had to safely cover the vents earlier this winter to prevent them sitting on them. Which led to them wearing sweaters. I removed the sweaters like suggested and they do all seem to be scratching less today! They’re all currently sleeping under their new soft blankets. Thank you again! I’ll post an update if there are any major changes

Last edited:

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I ordered a hairless pet specific argan oil as recommended by @NinaGato from a company called Iv San Bernard. Its a big bottle bottle (same size as one I purchase for my own hair) so I figure it'll last me a couple years, even with 3 cats. It did end up being a little pricey by the time shipping and taxes ect were applied, about $90 CAD if I recall. But it smells really good and keeps the kitties moisturized.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Bailey21
I am so glad to hear positive feedback about the Iv San Bernard argan oil. It does smell nice and the bottle with 4 cats lasted me almost a year and a half.

The shelf life on argan oil is reccomend at two years after it is opened. That is on all argan oil. I just looked it up.

As far as locally I would see if you have a natural health food store or amazon. Call around and see who might have it locally. I found my very first bottle at Meier which is a big midwest grocery/dept store.

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You can probably find fish oils at the pet store for them to eat. Worst case though, you can get the pills for people and puncture them to get at the goodies inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cinafina

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Rfdkitty89 I'm sorry I can't add anything else to this thread, but I do hope your lovely crew will be rash-free again really soon! So much good advice and experience to benefit from above - love this forum! :giggle:

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@NinaGato Well I guess I better start using it a bit more frequently lol! Sometimes when the cats run away I just put it in my own hair, it just smells too nice :p