Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin Issues

LoonBug

Lairian
Luna has been such a bundle of skin issues since she arrived here with me, red spots, small and large, red ear, etc. But she never seems to itch more than normal. I only notice it because she has no fur!
Just wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for things to use on sensitive skin?

I have shampoo's from the vet, and also got a foam wash but that seems to make her spots worse when she has a flare up. I bought a wound/hot spot spray that had good recommendations but it hasn't come yet.
I was also given an Isaderm gel from the vet but that's more for spot treatment and not for when she has a flare up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I find myself stressing so much more since I can see everything going on.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , oh sweetie, hugs we are here for you and Luna. hugs n head smooches. you got this.
the vetericyn spray is popular in group and I like it is Non toxic. I spray on a swissper cotton round and dab area 2x a day.

I swear by trizultra w/keto for wiping out ears. my vet got me hooked on it for my crew nearly 20 yrs ago, never an ear issue again (my pup had the most red inflamed ears chronically) has worked on my tobylove when a different ear product I tried made his skin irriated. I only use trizultra now for ears on my sphynx , bengal, dsh black cat and 2 pups.

Trizultra w.keto is labelled too as a skin flush. it is dual purpose really no scent and can be used as a skin flush.
I use it to wipe out ears 2x a week, use it to do body wipe downs with it on swissper cotton rectangle pads. really gets the brown off and keeps ears clean. no skin issues with the 5 nakids I have had in my life over the decade.

other members share it works well for their sphynx too for ear cleaning.

I do not put clothing on mine, as it can cause skin rashes, etc.
I find less is best, not overbathing, letting skin do it's thing . with trizultra wipe downs I can go a very very long time between full baths.
also, shampoos need to be extremely rinsed well or can cause browning skin, etc.

do you have pics of Luna's skin/irritated areas?
years ago I had on hand an rx of Entederm ointment that came with my adoptee. worked good for spot treating if needed.
for me, I stick with vetericyn spray and trizultra w/keto.

I get trizultra w/keto on line, check prices. my vet sells it too,
I get the 12 oz bottle because I go thru it for ear cleaning and body wipe downs 2x a week. *** I do not use it on faces. for faces just warm water baby face cloth

members will surely chime in.

do you use scented litter? recent change of food? detergents? fabric softeners? dryer sheets. I recall a members cat was allergic to Gain detergent.

Attachments

• trizultra new.jpeg
    trizultra new.jpeg
    22.1 KB · Views: 12
  • swisspers.jpeg
    swisspers.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 8
  • swisspers.jpg
    swisspers.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

LoonBug

Lairian
@LoonBug , oh sweetie, hugs we are here for you and Luna. hugs n head smooches. you got this.
the vetericyn spray is popular in group and I like it is Non toxic. I spray on a swissper cotton round and dab area 2x a day.

I swear by trizultra w/keto for wiping out ears. my vet got me hooked on it for my crew nearly 20 yrs ago, never an ear issue again (my pup had the most red inflamed ears chronically) has worked on my tobylove when a different ear product I tried made his skin irriated. I only use trizultra now for ears on my sphynx , bengal, dsh black cat and 2 pups.

Trizultra w.keto is labelled too as a skin flush. it is dual purpose really no scent and can be used as a skin flush.
I use it to wipe out ears 2x a week, use it to do body wipe downs with it on swissper cotton rectangle pads. really gets the brown off and keeps ears clean. no skin issues with the 5 nakids I have had in my life over the decade.

other members share it works well for their sphynx too for ear cleaning.

I do not put clothing on mine, as it can cause skin rashes, etc.
I find less is best, not overbathing, letting skin do it's thing . with trizultra wipe downs I can go a very very long time between full baths.
also, shampoos need to be extremely rinsed well or can cause browning skin, etc.

do you have pics of Luna's skin/irritated areas?
years ago I had on hand an rx of Tresaderm rx that came with my adoptee. worked good for spot treating if needed.
for me, I stick with vetericyn spray and trizultra w/keto.

I get trizultra w/keto on line, check prices. my vet sells it too,
I get the 12 oz bottle because I go thru it for ear cleaning and body wipe downs 2x a week. *** I do not use it on faces. for faces just warm water baby face cloth

members will surely chime in.

do you use scented litter? recent change of food? detergents? fabric softeners? dryer sheets. I recall a members cat was allergic to Gain detergent.
I did see vetericyn recommended in another thread here but couldn't find anywhere to buy it so got a similar spray online. I'll see if I can find trizultra as well next pay day!!

Luna does wear clothes but that's because she gets cold where as Esme and I run hot so I had to find a good balance. I find washing her clothes in detergent meant for newborns prevents any irritation in that area! I also use it on my sheets now since that's where she sleeps and am working on using it on all laundry, just getting through the last of my tide on my clothing and towels only I use.

I'll include some photos, the dark spots are a previous issue that are healing with meds from the vet, and its but her back is speckled red. I also included two photos showing her ears, one focused on the red one and one showing both to show the difference.

Attachments

• PXL_20240207_235341654.MP (1).jpg
    PXL_20240207_235341654.MP (1).jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240207_235358391.jpg
    PXL_20240207_235358391.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 21
  • PXL_20240207_235415101.jpg
    PXL_20240207_235415101.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 22

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , perhaps leave clothing off and see if improves? I got some 50"x70" fleece throw blankets mine cuddle in. my other sphynx got prickle heat rash from clothing. now mine go nakid. when they seek warmth, they will go on top of their blankets,

my Batman gets dark spots on the sides of his head from years of rubbing on sisal on cat tree and rug. I wet a cotton pad with vetericyn spray ,make sure not dripping wet, and gently dab on dark spots that are on his head/side of face , in front of his ears.
for his body spots , I wet cotton round with the trizultra and dab on areas 2x a day.

my rotties ears were hot and inflamed like Luna's. he got antibiotics and vet got me hooked on using trizultra w/keto on cotton pads to gently wipe ears. it was a game changer. never an ear issue again. I use it on my crew for almost 20 yrs. I got the trizultra w/keto online.
where are you located ? I am in USA and can share some sites I order online.

has vet done a skin scraping to rule out fungal/bacterial/yeast? **
my one adoptee came with some Entederm ointment that worked well.

What is EnteDerm Ointment used for in cats?

Entederm is an antifungal, anti-itch, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial ointment that works to heal skin infections and treat chronic or acute ear infections (otitis).

"

wonder if the foam soap can be causing some irritation?

Last edited:

LoonBug

Lairian
@LoonBug , perhaps leave clothing off and see if improves? I got some 50"x70" fleece throw blankets mine cuddle in. my other sphynx got prickle heat rash from clothing. now mine go nakid. when they seek warmth, they will go on top of their blankets,

my Batman gets dark spots on the sides of his head from years of rubbing on sisal on cat tree and rug. I wet a cotton pad with vetericyn spray ,make sure not dripping wet, and gently dab on dark spots that are on his head/side of face , in front of his ears.
for his body spots , I wet cotton round with the trizultra and dab on areas 2x a day.

my rotties ears were hot and inflamed like Luna's. he got antibiotics and vet got me hooked on using trizultra w/keto on cotton pads to gently wipe ears. it was a game changer. never an ear issue again. I use it on my crew for almost 20 yrs. I got the trizultra w/keto online.
where are you located ? I am in USA and can share some sites I order online.

has vet done a skin scraping to rule out fungal/bacterial/yeast? inquire about tresaderm ointment?
wonder if the foam soap can be causing some irritation?
Hi,

She's had the issue whether or not she's wearing clothing. It was recommended by my vet that she also stay clothed while she has the dark spots until they fully heal and go away. Those were fungal which she's on medication for now. my concern is the redness more than anything.

I'm in Canada and wasn't able to find those items so I'd have to talk to my vet next time I am able to see her.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , sharing, I have used zymox many many years ago with good results. and will check for previous posts about
ZYMOX. it' non rx and I think avai on amazon.ca site, you can ask you vet about,
there is an ear cleaner, ear gel like ointment with or without hydrocortisone you can call ask your vet if it would be beneficial as well as asking about the Entederm ointment. you are doing so much for sweet Luna with the best of love and care. big hugs, we are here for you

Attachments

• zymox.jpg
    zymox.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 18

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , how long has she been on the RC food? I looked up ingredients has chicken liver .

** sharing, my vet told me if an rx food I purchased from the vet does not work, I can return it to vet for refund.

I know other members have used RC rx food with success. It can take several weeks for food transition results. keep us updated often. hugs n head smooches.

( sharing, @Letitia shared in other thread a limited ingredient Duck food by KonaPet)

LoonBug

Lairian
@LoonBug , how long has she been on the RC food? I looked up ingredients has chicken liver .

** sharing, my vet told me if an rx food I purchased from the vet does not work, I can return it to vet for refund.

I know other members have used RC rx food with success. It can take several weeks for food transition results. keep us updated often. hugs n head smooches.

( sharing, @Letitia shared in other thread a limited ingredient Duck food by KonaPet)
Hmm, I checked hers and it does say chicken fat but nothing about liver. I gave the vet a call to see what she thinks and will hopefully hear back soon. She has been on this food since about November as well.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , oh my heart.. my heart goes out to you for job loss and dealing with kittles health issues. I have personally been there with layoff and health issues with pup and kitty. deep breath, you got this.

((((hugs))) here for you. pm me anytime if you need a shoulder to lean on or ear to listen.

$900 seems outrageous to me for a skin scraping to check if bacterial or yeast under an in office microscope test

.can you ask them to email vet records to keep for your own records
. then, when able take to a second opinion.

I know my Toby was taken to a free first visit check by his first mum when I requested a wellness check before adopting him . she took him to the petco in house vet with a coupon for free first visit (banfield at petco). trying to brainstorm here for you

many of us use Vetericyn spray. non rx. it has worked wonders on my kittles and my rottie that had an awful skin condition.
we are here for you. will chime in more in the morning. deep breath, you got this adorable Team Luna. hugs n positive vibe head smooches.

LoonBug

Lairian
@LoonBug , oh my heart.. my heart goes out to you for job loss and dealing with kittles health issues. I have personally been there with layoff and health issues with pup and kitty. deep breath, you got this.

((((hugs))) here for you. pm me anytime if you need a shoulder to lean on or ear to listen.

$900 seems outrageous to me for a skin scraping to check if bacterial or yeast under an in office microscope test

.can you ask them to email vet records to keep for your own records
. then, when able take to a second opinion.

I know my Toby was taken to a free first visit check by his first mum when I requested a wellness check before adopting him . she took him to the petco in house vet with a coupon for free first visit (banfield at petco). trying to brainstorm here for you

many of us use Vetericyn spray. non rx. it has worked wonders on my kittles and my rottie that had an awful skin condition.
we are here for you. will chime in more in the morning. deep breath, you got this adorable Team Luna. hugs n positive vibe head smooches.
Hey,

She's had the skin scraping, this is actual sedation and biopsies. This is also my vet that I've had for almost a decade and trust more than any vet I've ever had. I actually drive into the city to see her instead of seeing local vets since I've gotten some miss information from local vets. This is unfortunately the last resort since nothing we've done so far has helped and she's actually gotten worse. :(

I did buy a spray similar to the Vetericyn one that's been recommended, I just couldn't find that specific one in Canada. She also has medicated ointments and other such things from the vet that aren't helping her enough.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , worth a try to call petsmart/petco for free first visit coupon/ wellness check.
where are you located? members can share vet recommendations? I got a care credit card for emergencies. gets a 6 mos promo for charges over $200 but absolutely have to pay a minium monthly payment and pay off in full at 6 mos or will eat alive with near 30% interest. I would call around and ask how much for an office visit, in office skin scrape test. I learned to juggle care credit and never paid a dime of interest. if a bill is $180, I add a shampoo or something in office for 20 bucks to get the 200 6 mos promo..

want to be there to give you a big hug and kiss to Luna. we are here for you. I am headed to bed soon, following closely, can share tomorrow some of the non rx shampoos I have used for severe skin issues.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , brainstorming here,
has vet mentioned trying a product like chlor tabs $3 over the counter. my boy took it for severe skin issues. it's the ingredient on this image 4mg. non rx can get online, this is the US walmart version. many brands have the chlorpheniramine maleate 4mg online inexpensive, saw pet version of it on US amazon,
shraing trizchlor4 shampoo and chlorehexidine mouse I have used on my kittles and pups.

my bengal cat took it with good results , and my sam for severe skin issues. been through horrid skin issues with sam pup. the trizchlor4 worked really well. my vet always asks me what I have on hand, I tell her and she points me to trizchlor4.

Attachments

• chlortabs.jpg
    chlortabs.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 10
  • trizchlor4.jpeg
    trizchlor4.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 3
  • mousse.jpeg
    mousse.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

LoonBug

Lairian
@LoonBug , worth a try to call petsmart/petco for free first visit coupon/ wellness check.
where are you located? members can share vet recommendations? I got a care credit card for emergencies. gets a 6 mos promo for charges over $200 but absolutely have to pay a minium monthly payment and pay off in full at 6 mos or will eat alive with near 30% interest. I would call around and ask how much for an office visit, in office skin scrape test. I learned to juggle care credit and never paid a dime of interest. if a bill is $180, I add a shampoo or something in office for 20 bucks to get the 200 6 mos promo..

want to be there to give you a big hug and kiss to Luna. we are here for you. I am headed to bed soon, following closely, can share tomorrow some of the non rx shampoos I have used for severe skin issues.
I've already booked her in for the biopsy. I'd rather just get good answers from my vet then keep her suffering and trial running things anymore. She's already been dealing with it for a few months and I think we're both tired. :(

We've done loads of tests on skin scraping, trial meds, anything we could think of before getting to this point.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug , I totally understand.
all paws crossed for the biopsy you get results and a successful treatment plan, sounds like you a good working relationship wit your vet. I have the "one " vet too . hugs n positive vibe head smooches, when is biopsy ?
will they rule out Urticaria pigemtosa?

LoonBug

Lairian
@LoonBug , I totally understand.
all paws crossed for the biopsy you get results and a successful treatment plan, sounds like you a good working relationship wit your vet. I have the "one " vet too . hugs n positive vibe head smooches, when is biopsy ?
will they rule out Urticaria pigemtosa?
I've started a new thread with some Loon updates. Kind of feeling like I'm losing my mind right now. haha No more biopsy, onto insulin

Yoda mom

Staff member
@LoonBug, biggest hugs... saw your other post. here for you. I am a moderator in the canine diabetes group as my bubba bear rottie was diagnosed and I felt soo overwhelmed. I joined the group, got help with testing and the new normal and never looked back. deep breaths, you got this! here for you. replied in your Diabetes post. I will share the wonderful feline diabetic group info in your other post. highly recommend joining. it was a game changer for me and my neighbor that joined the feline diabetic group with her kitty. hugs n head smooches

Back