Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Kerry Williams

Lairian
Hello all,
this is my Bellatrix, she will be one in April. She seems to have been struggling with a skin issue since she was very young, although I don't remember her looking like this when we brought her home. I am aware it could be something in my home making this happen but I try to use natural everything, cleaning and laundry wise.

The breeder had her on Purina One, we switched her to Science Diet Kitten and now she is on the Grain Free Wellness brand to see if it's helped (been about a month). She's been to the vet and they aren't too sure, she has been tested for Yeast and Ringworm, both negative. I will try to switch her litter next just in case.

It is only on her hind legs and front legs right above her paws. She never scratches or licks these areas, when I try to put ointment or coconut oil on it, she licks it and makes it worse. But I have never seen it bother her once. I also tried not bathing her bc those areas get dry but that didn't seem to work either, so she gets an oatmeal shampoo bath about 1x a week.

Any info is appreciated, I've read a lot of skin posts but none look comparable to her skin.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• 20180204_103937.jpg
    20180204_103937.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 82

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Have you tried bathing her less often. I'm not sure if that's something you have done but bathing them too often can dry out their skin. Not sure if that could be it but people recommend stretching out the time between baths and just doing wipe downs in between.

Cole579

Lairian
There is a shampoo my vet uses before and procedure and has given to me for my babies dry skin and it works wonders also if your using aloveen shampoo and conditioner try just a gentle rinse of the conditioner as it can be used as a leave in conditioner!!

Attachments

• 15178810596691028866527.jpg
    15178810596691028866527.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 67

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Do to areas that seem irritated I am hoping switching your litter will do the trick. Please keep us posted. BTW welcome to Sphynxlair!

Kerry Williams

Lairian
Do to areas that seem irritated I am hoping switching your litter will do the trick. Please keep us posted. BTW welcome to Sphynxlair!

Thanks! The location is strange, isn't it? Do you mind me asking which litter you use? I get all unscented but looking into Worlds Best Cat litter

Kerry Williams

Lairian
There is a shampoo my vet uses before and procedure and has given to me for my babies dry skin and it works wonders also if your using aloveen shampoo and conditioner try just a gentle rinse of the conditioner as it can be used as a leave in conditioner!!

I have never used a conditioner, I'll have to look for one. Thanks!

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair. Since the rash is on her legs my first thought is the litter is causing it. You could try a different litter to see if that helps. Is it worse after bathing her? You could also try to have more time in between baths. Once a week can be too much for her skin

Back