Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Firemedic

Lairian
Hey there! I recently got my first sphynx cat so I’m pretty new to all of this. He is 4 months old and recently has been getting small red bumps down his back. It almost looks like small pimples. We thought maybe it was an allergic reaction and we switched his shampoo, his food, his laundry detergent but nothing has really helped. We bathe him once a week with a sensitive skin non fragrance shampoo that was recommended on another sphynx site. The detergent we use to clean his bed and his shirts is also Fragrance free and for sensitive skin. We only put a shirt on him when he goes to the basement living area since it’s cooler down there so he isn’t in it for long periods of time. I’ve attached a photo of his back. The lighter spots are where he has had the red spots before. I think it’s caused some of his peach fuzz to fall out making the area lighter. All advice is welcome. We are new to this and want to take the best care of him that we can. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• DF699E5C-9A08-4F1E-8F2D-5A1E1D6E8A4B.jpeg
    DF699E5C-9A08-4F1E-8F2D-5A1E1D6E8A4B.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 162
  • F93E22CD-96B5-4BF9-BF31-E54F25E1470D.jpeg
    F93E22CD-96B5-4BF9-BF31-E54F25E1470D.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 3A342B7A-BE2E-4243-A928-A4C63DFF7E81.jpeg
    3A342B7A-BE2E-4243-A928-A4C63DFF7E81.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 152

Natka58

Lairian
I don’t know what it is the vet did not know too. But my cat had the same bumps. Vet thought it was from scratching his back but she did give me a foam spray, to rule out infection, to put on him and it went away literally within a day.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Firemedic Welcome to the lair family. happy Gotcha! What is your adorable boys name ?

Are you feeding him what he had at the breeder? Same litter ? Some are Senstive to scented litters

Another member switched to Dreft laundry detergent and had good results .
Another kitty was allergic to gain laundry pods.

Here is a link .. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the thread page for "similar threads "

When in doubt a vet visit always good
Positive vibes for your baby

Also over bathing can cause skin issues
Many of use use Hylt and other shampoos and can go a month + for full spa days with wipe downs in between , nails and ears done bi- weekly

Several of us keep on hand vetericyn spray for skin things

@Natka58 do you have the name of the foam spray ?

Following closely for updates

Last edited:

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Orpheus had some skin problems when he first came home which sounds a bit like what you're experiencing but his wasn't as many but he got a bunch of little red bumps on him like pimples which he would scratch and make so much worse the little idiot. We got our vet to show the dermatologist and they believed it was folliculitis or something similar. Basically as he was growing and his hormones etc were doing there thing he was getting dirt and other oils stuck in his follicles and cause blockages. We we prescribed resichlor (I'll attach a photo)and we would put that on a breakout. They also suggested a light moisturizer (alpha Keri lotion) to help his skin as well. He has grown out of it and his skin has settled down now he is over 12 months.

I would also suggest bathing him less as like said above over bathing can dry out the skin and cause more problems. While we were having skin issues we would bath every 2 weeks and now we are doing once a month.

I would suggest speaking to your vet and seeing what they say. Its hard to say if it's the same or an allergy so getting a professional opinion would be best :)

Sorry for the essay haha

Attachments

• IMG_20190203_200515.jpg
    IMG_20190203_200515.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 137

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Welcome to sphynxlair! It can be difficult to find out what is causing red spots. Try to change things one by one to see what makes a difference. You could ask the vet to do some test.

Firemedic

Lairian
@Firemedic Welcome to the lair family. happy Gotcha! What is your adorable boys name ?

Are you feeding him what he had at the breeder? Same litter ? Some are Senstive to scented litters

Another member switched to Dreft laundry detergent and had good results .
Another kitty was allergic to gain laundry pods.

Here is a link .. Be sure to scroll to the bottom of the thread page for "similar threads "

When in doubt a vet visit always good
Positive vibes for your baby

Also over bathing can cause skin issues
Many of use use Hylt and other shampoos and can go a month + for full spa days with wipe downs in between , nails and ears done bi- weekly

Several of us keep on hand vetericyn spray for skin things

@Natka58 do you have the name of the foam spray ?

Following closely for updates

Hi! Yes we are using the same litter but we did switch his food to a healthier brand that he seems to love. His name is Harvey, by the way. Hurricane Harvey ;) and he lives up to it. Thank you for the link and the pointers. He is actually going to the vet on the 19th. We are going to give some more time between baths to see if that helps any.

Firemedic

Lairian
Orpheus had some skin problems when he first came home which sounds a bit like what you're experiencing but his wasn't as many but he got a bunch of little red bumps on him like pimples which he would scratch and make so much worse the little idiot. We got our vet to show the dermatologist and they believed it was folliculitis or something similar. Basically as he was growing and his hormones etc were doing there thing he was getting dirt and other oils stuck in his follicles and cause blockages. We we prescribed resichlor (I'll attach a photo)and we would put that on a breakout. They also suggested a light moisturizer (alpha Keri lotion) to help his skin as well. He has grown out of it and his skin has settled down now he is over 12 months.

I would also suggest bathing him less as like said above over bathing can dry out the skin and cause more problems. While we were having skin issues we would bath every 2 weeks and now we are doing once a month.

I would suggest speaking to your vet and seeing what they say. Its hard to say if it's the same or an allergy so getting a professional opinion would be best :)

Sorry for the essay haha
Yes I will be addressing it with the vet when we see her on the 19th. Thank you so much for the info and the pic of the lotion. I’m sorry it took me a bit to reply, I work 24 hour shifts with the fire department.

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes I will be addressing it with the vet when we see her on the 19th. Thank you so much for the info and the pic of the lotion. I’m sorry it took me a bit to reply, I work 24 hour shifts with the fire department.
No worries! Hope you guys get it sorted out.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Hi there and welcome! My girl has similar bumps hers seem to be caused by allergies. We have used the clorhexadine shampoo and seems to help some. We have had her to a dermatologist and she was diagnosed with allergies and have since started an allergy serum. Your little Harvey is handsome!! Keep us posted on what the vet thinks. best of luck!

Back