Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin problems

mikironicheese

Lairian
Hi guys,

Not long ago my boy was dealing with diarrhea, and since we started him on horsemeat as part of an elimination diet, the diarrhea is now gone.

We then tried to do some homemade food which didn't last as I don't actually have the time anymore to do it. So we found a company that did fresh cooked meals called KatKin. No preservatives, 95% meat, good stuff. Anyway he has been transitioning on the lamb since last Thursday and it has been fine still. Yesterday morning I gave him a bit of the beef one, and when I came home he had broken out in these rashes. On his ears, under his neck, in his armpit area, and along his belly. So we stopped everything and are now back on the horsemeat. But there is no diarrhea still!

The annoying thing is that we also changed his litter last Thursday, 7 days ago, from clay to Cat's Best. About 2 days ago (before the rash came up) he peed outside of the litter twice.

I went and bought another litter tray and put less litter among all of them. We have 4 trays for 3 cats.

So now I'm not sure if the problem is the litter (is it allergy? Yeast infection? His rash came around 5 days after we changed the litter) or the food (rash came immediately after eating beef)...

Of course now I have removed only one thing first to find out what it is, so can only wait and see, but thought you guys might know from seeing the photos. We stopped with the beef, as it seemed to happened right after eating it...but I'm just confused since there is no accompanying diarrhea.

mikironicheese

Lairian
Here are the pics

Attachments

• PXL_20210609_174935849.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174935849.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20210609_174748556.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174748556.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210609_174727270.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174727270.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20210609_174741859.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174741859.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20210609_174711863.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174711863.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210609_174706105.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174706105.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 10

mikironicheese

Lairian
More pics !!

Would appreciate any input ☺️ he is his usual self otherwise..

Attachments

• PXL_20210609_174530142.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174530142.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20210609_174523385.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174523385.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210609_174605580.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174605580.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210609_174553885.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174553885.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210609_174543351.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174543351.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210609_174530142.jpg
    PXL_20210609_174530142.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 10

Yoda mom

Staff member
hugs n positive vibes for your baby. is it unscented litter? some get yeasty skin rashes from scented litters. outside box pee may be saying doesnt care for the litter and sometimes a indication of brewing UTI. so keep a close watch. can vet check and see if bacterial or yeast skin issues. will tag some of the food peeps, @Condo commando , @Sheldon13 . following for updates.

also, any change to detergent? use fabric softeners? we have had kitties here allergic to detergents and fabric softeners

mikironicheese

Lairian
hugs n positive vibes for your baby. is it unscented litter? some get yeasty skin rashes from scented litters. outside box pee may be saying doesnt care for the litter and sometimes a indication of brewing UTI. so keep a close watch. can vet check and see if bacterial or yeast skin issues. will tag some of the food peeps, @Condo commando , @Sheldon13 . following for updates.

also, any change to detergent? use fabric softeners? we have had kitties here allergic to detergents and fabric softeners
Nothing has changed other than litter and food. It's unscented wood litter, it's called "Cat's Best". He hasn't peed outside the since we added the fourth tray. He's been toilet in the tray quite a few times since that happened so I think that might be a one off.

I was going to hold off on the vet until at least I've tried to eliminate both new things that I changed (litter and food). I'm sure it's one or the other as he has been fine until I changed these two things ! I know I just need to wait a few days to see if it subsides after taking out these possible factors, but I'm just a worry-wart and just thought I'd see if anyone had insight into whether it could be food allergy without diarrhea, or if it was a yeast infection (I couldn't find too many photos of what this would look like).

I only just solved his diarrhea issue, and now this

Last edited:

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I'm on record already that to make a change one has to feed the new food for 2 months minimum. I'm not sure if horse meat has been fed for 2 months...it feels like it wasn't that long ago that we talked about it....but if it has been 2 months then introduce either new food or new litter but not both. Again you have to go 2 months.

Alternatively ask your vet about allergy testing.

mikironicheese

Lairian
I'm on record already that to make a change one has to feed the new food for 2 months minimum. I'm not sure if horse meat has been fed for 2 months...it feels like it wasn't that long ago that we talked about it....but if it has been 2 months then introduce either new food or new litter but not both. Again you have to go 2 months.

Alternatively ask your vet about allergy testing.
Hi again! Yes it's been about 1.5 months but the problem is that the horsemeat is from Amazon and they keep changing on stock levels. I've had to already switch the brand because the original one was out of stock for a while. I didn't want to completely run out at any stage so had to start thinking of alternatives :( I attempted the homemade but then couldn't keep it for the long run due to my hectic work schedule...so I had to find something as close as that as possible.

I have now removed the new food, will wait a bit to see if the rashes go away, and if not, then I will remove the litter. Would be a shame, this litter has proven to be the best one we have had (for us). No smell, clumps nicely, fewer changes needed (so works out cheaper)!

Thank you

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hi again! Yes it's been about 1.5 months but the problem is that the horsemeat is from Amazon and they keep changing on stock levels. I've had to already switch the brand because the original one was out of stock for a while. I didn't want to completely run out at any stage so had to start thinking of alternatives :( I attempted the homemade but then couldn't keep it for the long run due to my hectic work schedule...so I had to find something as close as that as possible.
to
I have now removed the new food, will wait a bit to see if the rashes go away, and if not, then I will remove the litter. Would be a shame, this litter has proven to be the best one we have had (for us). No smell, clumps nicely, fewer changes needed (so works out cheaper)!

Thank you
I can understand if you can't find the same food that you have to get something else, but then why change the litter and give yourself one more variable to consider?

Allergies are hard. Maybe it's not food or litter but something in the environment (smoke, pollen, laundry detergent, or something else). You already know he has allergies. Proceed accordingly.

mikironicheese

Lairian
I can understand if you can't find the same food that you have to get something else, but then why change the litter and give yourself one more variable to consider?

Allergies are hard. Maybe it's not food or litter but something in the environment (smoke, pollen, laundry detergent, or something else). You already know he has allergies. Proceed accordingly.
The litter we had was awful (turned into sludge, stank the house out), so that's why we changed it to a better one. I didn't think that it could lead to another issue, hindsight is a wonderful thing haha.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The litter we had was awful (turned into sludge, stank the house out), so that's why we changed it to a better one. I didn't think that it could lead to another issue, hindsight is a wonderful thing haha.
So is foresight haha ; )

But seriously I hope it was just the food so you can keep the litter you like. The funny thing is I have more litter issues than my cats. Last week for example I gave myself an allergy attack from breathing in too much dust when I was cleaning out the litter box. The cats ....they were unfazed .....but me, I was on Benadryl for 2 days :(

Mlaf

Lairian
Hi, my cat has a rash exactly like this Just wondered if you’d seen any improvement with the change of food? or if you saw the vet and what they said about it? Thank you

mikironicheese

Lairian
Hi, my cat has a rash exactly like this Just wondered if you’d seen any improvement with the change of food? or if you saw the vet and what they said about it? Thank you
Hey! We've put him back on his original litter...but the rash is still persisting. So everything is stuff he has had prior to the rash (e.g., laundry detergent, food). The only change I am now thinking, is the weather. We've recently had this "heatwave" in the UK over the past week or so. I've posted on a UK group and others have said that it looks like a heat rash and theirs have had the same. I see you're from the UK too, has yours only recently had the rash? Is it generally on areas where there are lots of skin folds (neck, armpits, belly)?

We have other (indoor, non-Sphynx) cats too who don't have any issues so it rules out mites, fleas, or bed bugs...

Mlaf

Lairian
Hey! I had thought about the weather too but wasn’t sure?! It’s on the back of her thigh/bum, armpits, neck, belly, ears so maybe it is? It’s appeared the last couple of hot days. She had a rash in jan but it was isolated to one side of her body and it was winter then, She’s an itchy Sphynx anyway so I’m always unsure what’s going on with her thanks for replying! We are seeing the vet tomorrow incase anyway x

mikironicheese

Lairian
Hey! I had thought about the weather too but wasn’t sure?! It’s on the back of her thigh/bum, armpits, neck, belly, ears so maybe it is? It’s appeared the last couple of hot days. She had a rash in jan but it was isolated to one side of her body and it was winter then, She’s an itchy Sphynx anyway so I’m always unsure what’s going on with her thanks for replying! We are seeing the vet tomorrow incase anyway x

mikironicheese

Lairian
Exactly the same areas as mine! My vet appointment is booked for next week as they couldn't see him earlier than that for a non-emergency. He's been shaking his head and scratching his ears too. I thought ear mites but then the other cats would have the same, which they don't. Other than that the other spots don't seem to bother him much. I'm thinking either heat or sudden reaction to our laundry detergent. I've even stopped wearing my perfume too.

Weather is back to the usual cloudy rain tomorrow for us down South, I hope the same for your area, for her sake lol....maybe it'll give us some answers!

Please do let me know what your vets say!

Mlaf

Lairian
It’s funny cause it looks absolutely the same as your pics! Yeh the ear scratching drives me crazy, she doesn’t seem to care about any of this though, just me whose super stressed lol yes I think the same up here too! Fingers crossed! Will let you know what my vet thinks about it!

mikironicheese

Lairian
It’s funny cause it looks absolutely the same as your pics! Yeh the ear scratching drives me crazy, she doesn’t seem to care about any of this though, just me whose super stressed lol yes I think the same up here too! Fingers crossed! Will let you know what my vet thinks about it!
Hey! Did your vet get to any conclusion? My cat's rashes have now practically gone....so it must have been heat related as since yesterday we have had weather under 20⁰ and cloudy.

Mlaf

Lairian
Hey sorry hadn’t gotten round to updating! Ohh that’s so good your cats feeling better my vet thinks mine is possibly allergy related as it’s not the first time something similar has happened and it has gotten worse. She had a steroid injection to try calm it down and we are doing an elimination diet to see if it was the new food and she goes back again next week for a recheck of her skin ☹️ I have also caught her eating a plant so I’m not sure if it could be a reaction to that! Hopefully it’s cleared up soon x