Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skin so dirty and flaky

MommyNaNell

Lairian
Devlinn is 8 years old. I got her from a family member. I continue to use what they used to bathe all their cats. Johnson’s and Johnson’s baby wash in the yellow bottle. I’ve been trying to go longer between washes and have been pushing to make it two weeks. I recently started seeing that her underside and back of her legs are pretty brown and her skin has become flaky. She use to live in New Mexico dry dessert and now lives in Missouri where we have high humidity. I know all our skin was pretty dry this winter and lately, could this be affecting my cat too? She also lives in her heated cat bed under a blanket, could this be aiding the dry skin? I read about putting on olive oil before a bath, but is avocado oil ok too? I also was looking into trying Johnson’s and Johnson’s hypoallergenic cotton wash since she’s used that brand her whole life. I’ve contemplated using Burt’s bees hypoallergenic cat wash, has anyone used it? I read oatmeal wasn’t good for their skin? Advice please.

MommyNaNell

Lairian

Thanks!!! I have read a lot of post suggesting HyLyt I may have to bite the bullet and buy some. Tonight I switched it up and used Dove Baby it’s hypoallergenic and moisturizing. I will keep a close eye on her skin. I changed how we bathed her for a more pleasant bathing experience. I fill the sink now and wear cotton mittens and lather her up good. Running water made her skiddish even though she’s been bathed that way since she was little. She’s so old I try to be careful with change she’s very sensitive!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MommyNaNell Awhhh Hugs
Please keep us updated om the Dove Baby Shampoo .
If it doesn’t work it could be bcz Ph is different for humans and kitties is my understanding

Exfoliating gloves are womderful !
Awhhh bless you for taking such good gentle care of her ...
How old is she now?
Big head smooch from me
Hope you can share pics of your sweetie

( I get the hylyt on chewy )

MommyNaNell

Lairian
She is 8!

Attachments

• C54E5C4D-9C9C-4A08-9A32-89EC04047052.jpeg
    C54E5C4D-9C9C-4A08-9A32-89EC04047052.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 108
  • 7827733C-D751-40D3-96CF-2C2A5AC8BFE4.jpeg
    7827733C-D751-40D3-96CF-2C2A5AC8BFE4.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 133
  • E5CEF030-DABD-45DD-BB4B-5263A69B4AE3.jpeg
    E5CEF030-DABD-45DD-BB4B-5263A69B4AE3.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 120
  • D5AC6161-A155-4843-8A7B-61AE2502AD95.jpeg
    D5AC6161-A155-4843-8A7B-61AE2502AD95.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 127

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MommyNaNell awhhh she is precious! Melt my heart

Hope you are active with us lots of pics and tales! Thank you for the bath water tip! Such a good girl
Mine hate spa day

8 is still young :)
My boys are 8 too

MommyNaNell

Lairian
She is 8!
@MommyNaNell awhhh she is precious! Melt my heart

Hope you are active with us lots of pics and tales! Thank you for the bath water tip! Such a good girl
Mine hate spa day

8 is still young :)
My boys are 8 too

I try to stay pretty active on here, but I also follow the fb page. I post on here although rather than the fb page. Ive asked my Aunt for another! Haha we will see although I live pretty far away and don’t know when I will be able to get her!

MommyNaNell

Lairian
The dove baby moisture has been working, but I definitely plan on trying hylt. Here she is after her bath today, we made it a week and 5 days before she stunk, she also had gotten poop all over her and her bedding in her cage. So we did a cleaning day. Her cage and box get cleaned every other day. But we figured new bedding needed a clean cat

Attachments

• 76D3FBB5-89E3-49AE-8319-EF056DE67790.MP4
    148.7 KB

Yoda mom

Staff member
Awhhh thanks for the update
Hesd smoojces sent
Sorry I could not see the pic
Probably my iPad ugh

SillyLily

Lairian
We use Burt’s bees hypoallergenic cat shampoo and have no issues. No smell and washes off easily. Miss Lily is soft and clean afterwards. In between baths we will use Water Wipes baby wipes. They don’t have a smell and are water based. Have you changed the laundry detergent you wash her bedding and what not with? Sometimes that can make a difference. I hope whatever is going on gets sorted.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@MommyNaNell omg precious! Devlinn always looks like a young baby ...
A purrfectly Adorable young 8!

Head smooches pretty girl !

So glad the dove is working ! Hope you can share a pic of the bottle with Devlinn’s review ! :)
Is it easy to rinse ?

MommyNaNell

Lairian
Good to know, I hadn't heard many people talk about much more then Johnsons and Hylt, so I kind of wanted to hear different things. I use a damp baby wash cloth between bath times when shes gross. The only thing I had been doing different is trying to let her go longer between washes and I had stopped using bleach in her blankets in the wash and traded it out for vinegar and baking soda added to the wash. I may have just let her go too long between baths cause the gross stuff washed away. I think it was a build up of dead skin and oil. ((ewww)) Her skin was fine after I washed her with Dove when I posted this and then again today, no irritation or anything and there wasnt any build up.

MommyNaNell

Lairian
@MommyNaNell omg precious! Devlinn always looks like a young baby ...
A purrfectly Adorable young 8!

Head smooches pretty girl !

So glad the dove is working ! Hope you can share a pic of the bottle with Devlinn’s review ! :)
Is it easy to rinse ?

Yeah it rinses off well and leaves her not as dry. I fill up the laundry sink to chest height before I put her in and let her soak a bit. I put on my cotton gloves and then put some soap on and rub it all over my gloves and then pick her up and work on an area and then repeat with a little soap and what not. I rinse her off and let her sit in the water and just rub her gently with gloves empty the sink and do a final rinse with clean water.

Back