Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Skincare

Evmblue

Lairian
My baby Tony is 10 weeks old and suddenly he developed this red looking skin under his chin. We normally bath i
Him once a week with regular maintenance with pet wipes and rub him down with coconut Shea butter. His diet is mainly wet food if fancy feast three times a day. Any advice would be great! If anyone has suggestions for better dietary options or moisturizers too.
30D49B5C-2635-4CD5-AF75-DFB1804D8E35.jpeg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Evmblue , sharing, I stopped using coconut oil. I personally dont use any skin care products. recent info that coconut oil no longer recommended can clog pores. perhaps discontinue using the coconut shea butter and see if improves. many of us use hylyt shampoo, soap free hypoallergenic, easy rinse. many use the waterwipe wipes. I had no luck with baby wipes, and afraid other products could have added ingredients. not sure which you are using?

Attachments

• hylty.jpg
    hylty.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 23

Mel1224

Lairian
Skin stuff is so tricky. Dobby has the same thing on her neck right now because I cleaned her too much back to back and stripped some of her oils (so her skin produces more yeast as a result). My routine for Dobby is a no-rinse mouse plus an exfoliating glove. I worked with her vet to find it because bath time was an absolute nightmare. She barely tolerates that routine, but it works for us. I agree with the post above. Coconut oil seemed to do nothing when I applied to skin. But I will say my cats LOVE the taste of it (don't know if anyone else has the same experience) and it seems that eating coconut oil may help skin issues from inside out based on what I've read.

Evmblue

Lairian
YES my cat loves the taste of coconut oil. If i apply it on myself he licks me up as well. I just worry that it'll get him to lick himself too much and dry out his skin. Also I hear overlicking is a sign of anxiety? Not sure if anyone knows more about this.

Mel1224

Lairian
Yea I no longer put it on skin, but I do let them have small quantities of coconut oil with their bfast. I've heard that too. But when my cat has something going on with her skin (i.e. itchy ) she over grooms.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
oh sphynx skin is the trickiest!!

I do not use any oils on my girl. I tried using coconut to "help" get the oils off and I found it made it much worse. I was using degrease shampoo and it worked but then she started making more oils if that makes sense? I used hylyte as recommended by @Yoda mom and it works very well for most kitties. However with my girl and her allergies I use a medicated shampoo by Henry Schein phytovet CK (they may have recently changed the bottle from my google searches for images). I have also used the Duoxo chlorhex shampoo and both work well for her skin. They both do a good job at removing the oils. In her case she gets a lot of yeast buildup and these help tremendously with that! They also aren't overly scented.

1629202595706.png
1629202572698.png

Evmblue

Lairian
Thank you so much for these recommendations! Yes I’ve stopped with coconut oil entirely and I am also experimenting with diet. I’m stopping there fancy feast and sticking to wheat free food.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aggie is also on a prescription diet food for her allergies, that is actually working well for her skin also. RC ultamino I wasn't overly thrilled with having to put her on a prescription diet and withheld in doing so for almost 8mos. She was still having skin breakouts even after starting allergy serum injections. I switched to this and her skin is amazing! (I still give her treats that are not RX approved lol!) The only downfall is that it doesn't come in a canned formula. I have been putting some water in it to make what we call "cereal" and she enjoys that. I have also found a canned dog food that is 100% salmon or 100% duck and give her a small lick of that when I am giving my dogs medications.

1629203219715.png
1629203451664.png
1629203467623.png

Natalie Murphy

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I too use no oils or skincare products other than bathing mine. And touch wood I have never had a problem. I bath him once in two months minimum He cleans himself like a champ

Back