Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Sleeping with sphynx cats

JohnnyGigi

Lairian
I'm sure this has been discussed many times but I'm going to bring it up again: sleeping with multiple sphynx cats. I have two sphynx and one bengal kitten.
My one sphynx "Johnny" is a year and a half. He is sooooo vocal at night. Just walks around crying, scratching, and clawing at the blinds/wall/bowls/anything.
The kitten sleeps in the spare bedroom with no problems. But I've had to start putting the other two in with her, shutting the door, shutting my bedroom door, and turning a fan on full to block out the noise of them scratching and meowing at the door.
I've tried not giving in, ignoring his calls for attention. I've tried giving in to him; feeding, playing, staying awake at 3 in the morning. But I NEED a good nights' sleep.
Does everyone with sphynx cats just not sleep well at night!?!?

Sheldon13

Staff member
‍♀️ I sleep with mine every night and she’s no trouble at all. Sleeps through the night. She’s 9, if that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anansi

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have always let my cats sleep in my room/bed with me and am planning on doing the same with Orpheus .
The only thing you can do really is either let them in your room or ignore them. I know that isn't a great solution but eventually they will understand they are sleeping in that room . Especially as they get older .

Raphael Grupilo

Lairian
Mine sleeps all night, either on my bed or his. But when it's about 6 in the morning he starts scratching the kitchen door. Then I get up, give him his wet food and it settles down. It doesn't bother me at all since I have to wake up at 6 anyway.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm sure this has been discussed many times but I'm going to bring it up again: sleeping with multiple sphynx cats. I have two sphynx and one bengal kitten.
My one sphynx "Johnny" is a year and a half. He is sooooo vocal at night. Just walks around crying, scratching, and clawing at the blinds/wall/bowls/anything.
The kitten sleeps in the spare bedroom with no problems. But I've had to start putting the other two in with her, shutting the door, shutting my bedroom door, and turning a fan on full to block out the noise of them scratching and meowing at the door.
I've tried not giving in, ignoring his calls for attention. I've tried giving in to him; feeding, playing, staying awake at 3 in the morning. But I NEED a good nights' sleep.
Does everyone with sphynx cats just not sleep well at night!?!?
Are all cats spayed and or neutered? If not that could be an issue. Feliway has been a help to some.

Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 5.31.05 AM.png

Gray

Lairian
We got Marceline at 8 months old and she was VERY vocal at first. I don't think we slept well for 3 weeks after we got her. We made sure that she knew where the warm places were outside of our room. We have a couch with space underneath that sits over a vent, and we put a blanket under it. It gets very warm and she loves it. We let her sleep with us unless is is being very vocal or she's just mucking with everything in the room. When she gets like that we kick her out of the bed room but give her free reign of most of the house. Eventually she learned that the room is for sleeping. 90% of the time she sleeps with us until my boyfriend gets up for work. I think its just about routine. Also Sphynxs seem to have SO much energy, and the kittens are a real handful. I have a feeling it will calm down with age. We've had her almost 3 months and while she's still crazy she is indeed settling down.

meandmytwo

Lairian
I have never been able to sleep with my two boys. They are littermates, 1.5 yrs old now.

They have their own bedroom/playroom where they spend nights and now and then for short spells for other reasons.

I have tried a couple things. And this is after a wakeful evening and at least 30 min of deliberate play and a big meal :

1. sleeping with me : Frost settles down under the covers by my feet which I love. Freeway will not settle down. He paws at my face, nibbles at my face and anywhere else, circles, whines. I’ve given it 45 minutes and then put them in their room.

2. letting them roam the house : I go to bed with my door closed. Freeway paws the door non stop and whines. Frost sits right beside him quietly. This makes me chuckle. After 45 minutes I put them in their room.

Once in their room they go nuts bouncing off the walls for 10-15 minutes and are then quiet all night. Not a peep out of them. I get up to use the washroom a few times - they’re silent. Once in a while when I peek in they are snuggled in their bed together. When I get up I open their door and there they are patiently quietly ready to take on the day :). They’re obviously comfortable and ok so that’s the routine. This has always been their room and was their safe place for the first 2 weeks when they came to live with me.

I have not yet tried putting Freeway in the room alone and trying to sleep with just Frost. I do sometimes feel like he and I may be missing out on something special.

I’m a light sleeper though and sometimes wake for too long and I just don’t think it would work for us.

Last edited:

Yoda mom

Staff member
Sphynx and bengal experience here too

I found bengals to be much more vocal with that gutteral screech than my sphynx
- some are more vocal than others -
Are they neutered ? Spayed?

My adoptee prefers to sleep on her own at night but a lap cat during the day

The sphnyx are bed hogs - they sleep with me

Like mentioned lots of play before bed - you can get a couple of Dabird pole toys and play simutaneously with them
( omly supervised- I put away in a closet bcz I found they get caught in string and chew it )

Best I found for a good nights sleep :

1) a few minutes of Dabird pole toy play before bed

2) train them like a dog -
I put a couple of soft 50x60 throw blankets on my bed
A jar of dry kibble treats on mynightstand to begin with -
I tell them sleepy sleepy time and tap my hand on the blankets
As soon as they get on the blanket I give one treat

They got into a routine of sleepy sleep time without treats
I just tap on the blanket and they come running
To get tucked in like a burrito for the night

My Toby loves his one fast cat exercise wheel

StacyD

Lairian
Ace sleeps with my daughter. If he's locked out he let's her know he wants in, even jumping on the door handle and pawing at the door. And he's persistent! But once he settles in with her, he is not an issue & sleeps through the night for the most part.

Annejo12

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Raphael is not allowed in our bedroom because my husband is allergic. she used to claw at the rug under the door to the point it is frayed. I put one of her cat beds on the spot by the door that she frayed and she leaves it alone now. She doesn't use the cat bed but she leaves us alone. In the morning any time between 5:00 am and 8:00 am she will sit outside my door and give me a little chirp. If it is 5:00 I take her into the spare room and we continue sleeping.

Della F

Lairian
The first couple of weeks we didn’t sleep. We let Oliver in the bed with us and every time he moved I would wake up because I was scared he would go potty in our room also our dogs sleep in the room on a bed on the floor. They still were not trustworthy enough for me. The third week he is sleeping until the alarm clock goes off for work. I did put him out of the bedroom a few times but he let me know quick he wasn’t having it lol.

littlelew

Lairian
I have always let my cats sleep on my bed, so initially we allowed Bub to sleep with us. She was a champ, slept thought the night with minimal fussing from day one. The only downside was the second she woke up it was play time!
After loosing many good nights sleep we introduced her to her heated igloo, which she decided she preferred over us. Now she actively seeks out her igloo at bedtime (10/11pm) and puts herself to bed in the evenings. We honestly couldn't have asked for a better outcome, as we were on the point of locking her in the spare room at night to save our sanity, which I really didn't want to do.
I agree with the other user that a good half hour of play time at night helps to settle her. Alternately if she is over tired she starts to misbehave.

Capt Gargoyle

Lairian
My little Gargoyle is a cuddle bug, but we need to set some boundaries. If I sleep on my side, she'll curl up right into my belly like the sweet bean she is. If I sleep on my back, however, she will sleep on my face. She will crawl up the highest point on my chest, chirp her undying love for me, and then plop her naked self onto my nasal passages. So we're going to work some things out.

Staceyxxx

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yeah I sleep my kitty, she wakes early like 5am then falls back asleep once she’s checked the house haha...! I have had many sleepless night, due to when Binky was on heat it was night shift I was doing, it was like having a real baby!

as I work 3 different shifts I found a routine useful, like try n go to bed around the same time n get up early even if it’s just for 20mins n play hard with her before I need to sleep! Bless I hope it settles soon for you!

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I consider myself really lucky. Mine sleep with Hubby and I but against me. One at the back of bent knees and the other by my butt and back. My boy wakes up anywhere between 4:30 and 5:30 AM though. He goes pee, comes back and stands at the side of my bed "murring" until I get up. Then I wake up the other and we go downstairs. I then FINISH sleeping on the couch with my girl sleeping on my face and my boy on the side of my butt. WHY they can't do this while I am upstairs in bed I'll never know. It's a ritual I can't break.

Nicky00

Lairian
My kitten is 8months and I had a problem with that as well. She would get what I call the AM zoomies where she would sprint around my dorm room using me as a spring board. I had to tire her out by playing with her for about an 1-2hrs before bed. I play with her hard by making her chase stuff and run as fast as she can for the full 1hr non stop. Having her play on the stairs helps as well.This would get her adrenaline going though and she would want to keep playing. So I played dead. I would hide under the covers and not react to anything she would do. In about 30min she would settle down and go to sleep (usually on my back or under the blankets with me). I would also lay on my back with my knees bent to make a little tent area. My kitty would get curious and want to explore the space under the blanket. Heat,comfort, and tiredness would lull her to sleep. Also how much is he sleeping during the day? It may be that he has his days and nights mixed up because he sleeps so much during the day. Do you have a set sleep pattern? I know that i haf trouble with that. I would be up all night one night studying and she would be up with me. Then for the rest of the week sbe would stay up all night. Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:

tgvess

Lairian
My Lucy would be heartbroken if I didn't let her in my room with me. If I get in bed and she's not right behind me, all I have to do is call her and tell her it's time for bed and she will come from wherever she is in the house. She is up and down sometimes throughout the night but she doesn't really make any noise when she gets up and comes back. She likes to lay as close to me as possible with the blanket over her.

JSal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My cats are usually sleeping with somebody (four kids plus me and my husband). They have the freedom to decide. A fuzzy soft blanket is usually enough to get them to give us a little space when they are in bed with us. They were both rehomed with us and adults kitties.

Back