Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Small amount of blood in stool

SashimisMom

Lairian
Hello all, I have been watching Sashimi's stools as of late. Saturday I noticed some bright blood in her stool at the end. AThen never saw it again, until now. It's not as much, still towards the end of the stool, and trace amounts, with trace mucus.

I recently started switching her from Iam's kitten to Blue Buffalo, noticing her stool was much looser than the straight Iam's. Could this all be related, and when do I start freaking out. I am calling the vet tomorrow, just was wondering if switching brands was such a good idea.

8i8butterfly

Lairian
I don't have my kitten yet ...but I do know that it is important to transition the food slowly by adding a small amount of blue buffalo to the Iams . Also has she been tested for any intestinal parasites ? good luck hope everything gets better !

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, changing food can cause a bloody stool and diarrhea, if it persists see your vet asap. Be sure to stick to one food so as not to have tummy issues for your kitty. Good luck!

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I would not worry unless it persists and I agree with the others that you need to transition the food slowly (but perhaps you have been doing that already?).
If it doesn't change have your vet check for worms or Giardia.

Good luck, I hope it turns out to be nothing!

SphynxKid

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If its bright red, it means its fresh, which means it's bleeding right there at the site and not in her intestine - so, could be she tore a little and is irritated because of the change in food. If it continues, I would check it out, but just once, not too big of a deal. It happens every once in awhile with my Fluffy if she has loose stool and it's becuase her poor bum is irritated, the color of the blood tells you a lot..darker and it's further up in the intenstine, bright red, and its fresh and just happened - most likely a hemmrhoid or a tear or something.

Jen

SashimisMom

Lairian
I have been doing the transition very slow, over a few weeks, still adding the Iams. I notice nothing today and am going to slow the Blue Buffalo, the vet said he was not a fan of the Blue Buffalo as it is rather harsh on her system. He added that the same goes for puppies, they have had that experience with the Blue Buffalo as welll.

She has not show any other signs of blood, and with the same advice you are all giving me is what the vet said. Just monitor it and slowly wean back to Iams. Here I was hoping for a better food for her, and I was hurting her. :Sweat: Should have just left well alone.

Thanks for all your advice, it makes me feel better.

SashimisMom

Lairian
I spoke with my Vet. He thinks the Iam's dry Kitten I am feeding her is the culprit. Since I saw another incident last night. He told me to wet her dry down, let it expand and let her eat it, he said the dry is to harsh on her digestive system and being shy of 5 months it's to much for her.

I ask well what about wet? He said no keep her on the Iams it will be fine for her system to digest better wet.

Doe's anyone have any thoughts on this or have heard of this?

Rachlp

Lairian
Hello everyone,

I am relieved to have found a forum where I can get some guidance.

We have a sphynx from Russia, commonly known as the Donskoy.

Donald is nearly 22 weeks ago and when we first bought him home we had no issues, we changed his litter and changed him over to royal canin kitten.

I will tell the story from start to finish so I apologise if this post seems long.

Firstly when we got him from Miami he had been treated for conjunctivitis and this caused him to ulcerated his eye so was anti biotic eye drops tobramycin for over 3 weeks and finally the ulcer went.

next, we he started vomiting every now and then, and then would try and eat straight away, we had given him a tiny piece of cheese each day as a treat but stopped that well before any vomiting started, it would happen usually after he had his training treats then eats dry food straight away. We thought the Royal canin kitten may be too hard and big for his tiny teeth, so changed him to science diet kitten, which worked well, the vomiting stopped to every now and then like every few days (if that).

well we noticed that his pee started to look dark brown so started to Google and at this point he don’t poop for over 2 days we thought maybe the dry food may be a little to dry, so the pet store said to add in a bit of kitten milk and or wet food for extra water in his diet, so I bought Royal canin kitten wet food, and the vitamin gel to add to his food as well as urinary tract tablets. Now I am telling myself off as I realise it may be too much all at once, trying to fix and help may have made it worse as today he had fresh red blood in his second poop of the day. So tonight, I didn’t give him any milk or vitamin gel and he had a poop after his wet food and there was only a tiny tiny bit of blood and he didn’t seem to be in any pain or struggle to get it out or anything.

so I’m freaking out as I have never had this with any cats I’ve owned (I use to breed and show Persians) and am wondering should I just wait to see how he goes with his dark pees and poops as he seems ok, he is training ok, attacking me when cleaning, purring, chasing things so I’m totally confused and am hoping for some experienced sphynx owners to give me some guidance, any help or reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading this message

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Rachip, hugs n head smooches. you can ask your vet if it would be helpful to drop off a pee sample and a stool sample. bright red blood is an indicator of what part of his intestines is irritated , like you did holding off on the kitty milk and gel may help..

Rachlp

Lairian
Hi Everyone,

Well we held off the kitten milk and vitamin gel, we introduced 4-5 feeds a day and not just free range and we added boiling water to his dry food to soften it and the plus side is he loves drinking that water.
So I have been anxiously watching his pee, he has had two today (I don’t know how many is normal for this breed) and the last one was a much lighter yellow normal colour and he had a poo this evening, and it was back to completely normal, I have never been more relieved, we may keep up with this diet for a few days and see how he goes and if not then go to the vet, right now it’s time for smooches under the blankets with my little man, wow I hope it continues!!

gee, I’m very grateful for everyone’s support as travelling with no regular vet can make it really tough!

Rachlp

Lairian
@Yoda mom Thank you, it is great being able to ask such knowledgeable friendly people who have experienced the same things and it’s made me a lot more confident in baby Donald, he is now 22 weeks and his pees and poops have been great, hopefully we have found what works for baby Donald and hopefully it may help any new kitten owners who may experience something similar

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Rachlp , hugs n head smooches adorable Team Donald. look forward to lots of pics and tales! he is just sooo handsome ! love your avatar photo!

barepaws

Lairian
Hello all, I have been watching Sashimi's stools as of late. Saturday I noticed some bright blood in her stool at the end. AThen never saw it again, until now. It's not as much, still towards the end of the stool, and trace amounts, with trace mucus.

I recently started switching her from Iam's kitten to Blue Buffalo, noticing her stool was much looser than the straight Iam's. Could this all be related, and when do I start freaking out. I am calling the vet tomorrow, just was wondering if switching brands was such a good idea.
SashimisMom,
I just had this as well with my Canadian Sphynx. I took the stool sample in and it turns out it is coccidia. It is an intestinal parasite but not a worm. It is common in kittens and usually goes away on it's own without the kitten having any symptoms. In some cases though you will get symptoms - watery stools, blood (sometimes lots), vomitting, the stool has a very distinct/strong smell, dehydration can happen. While most kittens can fight this on their own, if it gets bad enough to have the symptoms, they are in pain and need antibiotics and a probiotic.
I can't say for sure this is what he has, but it is a thought.

Rachlp

Lairian
Hi @SashimisMom

We recently went through a similar issue with our Donald who is turning 6 months old, first we noticed he was vomiting up dry food, then we noticed his pee was dark brown and then lastly we noticed blood in his stool once and his poops were sloppy mixed with some solid.

We ended up taking Donald to the vet and his teeth are to small for his age, this meaning he was stalling his dry food whole and couldn’t digest it so it needed to come up.

We ended up having the vet treat Donald with Revolution Plus for kittens (as we are travelling over the US border) and they also gave him a course of Metronidazole and it’s like we have a new kitten, so I cannot be sure if it is the parasite control or tablets that worked or even both but it is definitely worth doing a parasite treatment if it’s time and maybe check with your vet, it has given Donald a new spring in his step as if he wasn’t fast enough lol.

Please keep us updated we all want to make sure your beautiful baby is happy and healthy

Back