Small spots without fur

Discussion in 'Sphynx Cat Health & Nutrition' started by ainsquash, Jun 6, 2018.

1. ainsquash

ainsquashLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $79.21
    Ratings:
    +1
    B1328960-6D81-42A6-A754-77A715B3EB41.jpeg 49B3B840-4DF1-4FC9-947B-60DC912EFC0C.jpeg Hi
    My boy Skywalker has developed small spots on his skin that seem to have lost their fur. The spots are not raised at all, and don’t appear to be itchy. I live in South Africa and we are in the middle of winter, so I thought maybe it might be from where his warm coat is maybe rubbing the fur off. It is only around the areas where his coat sits, and not around the lower part of his body, his head or arms.
    He has also recently been diagnosed with mitral valve dysplasia (much heartache over this, but it is a sad story for another day ) and has been taking vetmedin, so my other guess is that it might be medication related.
    I spoke to my breeder and she thought perhaps it might be a fungal infection, but it doesn’t look like any of the pics I have seen online with fungal infections. She has recommended that I wash him with a medicated shampoo. I will go get the shampoo in the morning. Just wanted to check in to see if anyone else has had the same problem and maybe knows for certain what it is? His skin is otherwise healthy, not dry, and he gets bathed roughly once a week and washed with a baby shampoo.

• Hugs Hugs x 1

• Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $95,633.34
      Ratings:
      +10,473
      • Butterflies
      • Red Sphynx
      • Pink Sphynx
      • Black Sphynx
      @ainsquash , hello , checking in on Skywalker
      You can also ask your vet if Malaseb shampoo would help -
      A member posted about the good results with this shampoo
      Skin conditions & Yeast

Sphynx Skin Conditions

(Always check with your vet )

Positive vibes sent
      Hope you got answers
      Please keep us updated often

Head smooches sent

• Yoda mom

Yoda momModerator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $95,633.34
      Ratings:
      +10,473
      • Butterflies
      • Red Sphynx
      • Pink Sphynx
      • Black Sphynx
      @ainsquash , hello
      Checking in for updates
      Head smooches sent

• ainsquash

ainsquashLairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $79.21
      Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks for checking in
      The spots have turned to bigger patches. My vet says it’s definitely not fungal. I think it is from where his jacket touches the skin. It is like his fluff has been rubbed off from contact with his clothing. It doesn’t have any dry or flaky skin at all, so my vet says not to worry. We are in the middle of winter here in South Africa, so I guess when it starts to get warmer and he doesn’t need to wear a jacket we will see if his velvety fluff grows back.