Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Smelly ears??

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
This is weird, but our newest baby has smelly ears. lol They are not horribly dirty, but even after I have cleaned her ears they smell funny. I thought it was all in my head at first, until my husband brought it up to me. Anyone know what it might be?

ZiggyStardust

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Same answer here. My vet said when you can smell them, they're infected. Ash's ear started to stink and though the vet said they looked clean he looked at a swab under the microscope. Horribly infected. Sounds (or smells, rather) like a check would be good.

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thank you all very much, for the prompt replies! I just got off the phone with the vet's office... going in today @ 3:30!

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Ok, well we went to the vet.. NO yeast infection.... but she has ear mites.. Ugh... since my other kitties do not have any, the vet said she must have had them before I rescued her from her last owner. I do remember the lady saying her ears were bad and she never cleaned them. I feel so bad for Emma, she HATED the meds they put in her ears, I know it is going to help her but still... Ugh... I am going to go give her loves and cuddles. Thank you guys for the help.

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ok, well we went to the vet.. NO yeast infection.... but she has ear mites.. Ugh... since my other kitties do not have any, the vet said she must have had them before I rescued her from her last owner. I do remember the lady saying her ears were bad and she never cleaned them. I feel so bad for Emma, she HATED the meds they put in her ears, I know it is going to help her but still... Ugh... I am going to go give her loves and cuddles. Thank you guys for the help.

Poor baby Emma!!! Ear mites are vile things!!!
She's so lucky that you and hubby stepped up and take such great care of her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Loves and cuddles from us too!!!

Graddydani

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Aww poor Emma!! Hope those nasty things get outta there FAST!! She's so lucky to be with you guys now. It's the life she deserves!

susi794

Staff member
Glad you found out what it is and are well on your way to getting her healthy again. She is a lucky girl to live with you now. Love and care make a world of difference.

Inflamed

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I hope you get rid of those nasty critters soon! Poor Emma, feel better soon. Lucifer & Samael send purrs and headbutts your way.

flying sphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Did your vet say to treat all your pets , I only ask because Diamond had them and i had to treat all my pet just in case they got them also. Sorry hope she feels better soon.

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi Did your vet say to treat all your pets , I only ask because Diamond had them and i had to treat all my pet just in case they got them also. Sorry hope she feels better soon.

She told me to be on the look out but that I did not have to treat all of them. Emma is fairly new, and she was kept septerate for the majority of her time with us. I have been constantly checking all of them now, I am super paranoid. However I think I may just go ahead and treat them all, just trying to wait to get paid... it is going to be over $120 to get them all treated.

pittygirl

Lairian
I've never had a cat with ear infection but I've had plenty of dogs with them! If they smell kinda musty and "bready" then it's probably yeast. Although with yeast you usually see redness, increased secretions, and they usually paw at them a lot (it can be uncomfortable.) For my dogs I would use a 1:2 rubbing alcohol to water to solution to see if I could clear i t up first but I've never done that with cats so I would probably go to the vet:Sad:. Good luck and keep us posted!

flying sphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She told me to be on the look out but that I did not have to treat all of them. Emma is fairly new, and she was kept septerate for the majority of her time with us. I have been constantly checking all of them now, I am super paranoid. However I think I may just go ahead and treat them all, just trying to wait to get paid... it is going to be over $120 to get them all treated.

Hi I only mentioned it because my vet wanted me to treat them all as a precaution.
I do have a great vet she only charged me $50 for 2 bottles of med and no office visit.

zombiequeen13

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi I only mentioned it because my vet wanted me to treat them all as a precaution.
I do have a great vet she only charged me $50 for 2 bottles of med and no office visit.

It was a little over $40 for one little pack with one dose for each ear for one cat. I have four cats total, so it is going to be a bit expensive... I guess that is why she told me to just keep an eye out.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Ear mite are very easy to transfer between cats. You might want to think about treating everyone because you don't want to be trading mites cat to cat and playing catch up.

Back